MCW has to stop trying to be a lottery | Syracusefan.com

MCW has to stop trying to be a lottery

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
pick and start playing basketball. Only then will his stock go where he wants it to go.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

It's hard not to get ahead of ourselves, but when I look at mcw he just reminds me that much of Rajon Rondo. He has that type of pure point guard potential.

I think he's looked like our best NBA prospect on the team through two games. Struggled with his shot today, but he made good decisions, and once again, played fantastic defense, rebounded the ball, and found teammates all game long. Controlled the game very well. I think he's been our best player through two games so far.

Averages of 11.5 points (per game), 7.5 assists, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 1.5 blocks and 3.5 turnovers in his first two games starting (1 game against a top 25 team) and on a team that lost 4 major contributors from last year is not too shabby. I'd take it.

But yes, we have some inexperienced players in key roles this year and they will make mistakes. Hopefully the mistakes will from playing aggressively and they get fewer as the year progresses.

I don't see where he is NBA ready whatsoever so far. He is very careless with the ball

I think he's looked like our best NBA prospect on the team through two games. Struggled with his shot today, but he made good decisions, and once again, played fantastic defense, rebounded the ball, and found teammates all game long. Controlled the game very well. I think he's been our best player through two games so far.
He pressed to get his early. 2nd half he was a PG 1st. Big diff. in how SU played

The one thing about MCW is he isn't a flashy player. But talent just oozes out. When he focuses on seeing the court he is tremendous. Shades of Z on that alley oop to Rak. His size gives him a huge advantage when he attacks the rim as he actually can make plays in the air.

I don't see where he is NBA ready whatsoever so far. He is very careless with the ball

6'5" frame to build on, good shooting stroke, great feel for the game, good defensive instincts and good defensive ability, great passer, he has everything you look for in a PG/SG. He hasn't even played well for himself yet and he's shown that he can score 17 points and then come out the next game and dish out 11 assists while turning it over as often as you'd expect from someone that has the ball in his hands all game.

Edit: And while I think Scoop controlled the game better than anyone else on our team the past two years, MCW has done a nice job of pushing it when he should and slowing it down when he should. His feel for the game is a rare thing IMO.

He pressed to get his early. 2nd half he was a PG 1st. Big diff. in how SU played

It was so obvious and it showed how good MCW is. I'm sure the coaches said something at halftime and MCW was able to easily make the adjustment. Team played so much better in the 2nd half.

MCW was rattled early and often - not a doom/gloom scenario. It's probably a good thing that an (always) underrated Wagner team gave him such a hard time. Win win.

LOL, its so funny! He was just a bit eager to score in the first half and he still has a lot to learn, but he is super talented and will be a top 10ish pick IMO. He should have had 15-16 assists if we made some open jumpers.

True, but I hope people here can understand that it can be tiresome reading game-by-game assessment based on potential. That wacky high dribble of his will need to be brought under control - and it probably will. And 3pt. coldness should be forgotten, too.

MCW couldn't stop being lottery if he tried. 100% gone, guaranteed.

How about we just let MCW's first season as a starter play out and see how well he plays? But since you are offering a 100% "guarantee," what are you putting up?

Well then at best he is a backup player in the NBA. He just isn't ready.

MCW couldn't stop being lottery if he tried. 100% gone, guaranteed.

Funny that just today I was talking about this with someone at the Dome whom would know. While he most certainly could go, it isn't close to 100%.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well then at best he is a backup player in the NBA. He just isn't ready.

The thing I love about these forums is how many people with great basketball knowledge share their evaluations with us. We have an NBA scout here who can already determine how well MCW will do in the NBA after only starting 2 games in his sophomore season. I feel like I should have to pay for this high quality analysis.

LOL, its so funny! He was just a bit eager to score in the first half and he still has a lot to learn, but he is super talented and will be a top 10ish pick IMO. He should have had 15-16 assists if we made some open jumpers.
Can"t show your scoring stuff against Wagner -- might want to restrain your optimism and work to get better. A few people are getting way ahead of themselves with Mike. Lots of talent, great size, and a lot to learn.

He just needs to slow down and not try to force things offensively. I am not worried and am confident he will become unstoppable at times at the end of the season.

Edit: And while I think Scoop controlled the game better than anyone else on our team the past two years, MCW has done a nice job of pushing it when he should and slowing it down when he should. His feel for the game is a rare thing IMO.

I like Mike a lot, but I didn't see that. Looked like a young guy today. There were multiple times when he was slow to push or a step late (lob to Rakeem that got Rakeem fouled with a missed dunk) on a break. This team is as slow from rebound to transition as any since the '09 Flynn team, and Mike is part of the reason for that.

He's got all the tools, but there's no replicating real game experience. He's practically a freshman right now. Mike's going to grow by leaps and bounds as the season goes on. For now, though, he's getting picked by lesser guards and making questionable decisions. It's fortunate that his talent is such that he'll have an 11-assist game and still get picked apart for some poor plays. Sky's the limit, but he's not there yet.