MCW | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW

Anyone that doesn't want him to come back next year is dilusional.

Mike played calm collective and slower ball today. His best slow down ball of the season, hes usually one of the fastest player out there.

Perhaps mentioning the Marquette and Louisville games isn't helping make your point...

I guess, but doesn't it also show that, even in a "poor game" were he's not making shots or turning the ball over, the guy is still putting up the assists (would be even more if we didn't have horrific shooting slump), rebounds, steals and even a few blocks?

I mean, the guy impacts the game in so many different ways (especially in setting up our players for shots on offense) that don't always get recognized...that is what I have a problem with.

I guess, but doesn't it also show that, even in a "poor game" were he's not making shots or turning the ball over, the guy is still putting up the assists (would be even more if we didn't have horrific shooting slump), rebounds, steals and even a few blocks?

I mean, the guy impacts the game in so many different ways (especially in setting up our players for shots on offense) that don't always get recognized...that is what I have a problem with.

Without agreeing completely, I'll say one thing:

Probably four times a game - even in some of the worst games - I find myself saying "Great hustle, Mike" as he flies into a crowd and comes down with a rebound. That effort seems to be there all the time, it matches his (high) ability level, it shows up in the box score, and (most important) it helps the team. So that's great.

Mike played very well today. I've been one of his harshest critics. But I've seen a maturity in him lately that is very becoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That one play with the steal by random and going to our basket with a dish to Rak was especially enjoyable to watch in its perfection.MCW has a long way to go before he earns my respect as a lottery or wherever he winds up in the draft. Perhaps a strong contribution in the big dance.

C'mon this is Seton Hall. I'm not saying it wasn't impressive, but MCW always come up big against cupcakes. If he can do it against Pitt I'll get excited.

don't bother.

That one play with the steal by random and going to our basket with a dish to Rak was especially enjoyable to watch in its perfection.MCW has a long way to go before he earns my respect as a lottery or wherever he winds up in the draft. Perhaps a strong contribution in the big dance.

Stop worrying about him being a lottery pick. He should only have to earn people's respect as a contributor on this team. Not sure why people are so hung up on the lottery deal when we are playing basketball right now

Great line for the game at this point all wins are now gravy. We have definitely gone from the hunted to the hunter. Time to just go out there and play basketball - no expectations other than play hard and be the underdog.

So, 2 posts on Triche and no love for the supposed lottery pick PG who has 13 assists and 0 turnovers?

Amazing how much better a PG plays when people are hitting shots...

Dude leads the league in assists on an offensively challenged team. The team is 288th in 3 pt shooting, the big men are on training wheels, and yet he leads the friggin league, on a team with the least points ever scored in a game in the Dome, and on a team with the fewest points ever scored in a game under JB. Think about that. The abuse is unjustified, no doubt.

Without agreeing completely, I'll say one thing:

Probably four times a game - even in some of the worst games - I find myself saying "Great hustle, Mike" as he flies into a crowd and comes down with a rebound. That effort seems to be there all the time, it matches his (high) ability level, it shows up in the box score, and (most important) it helps the team. So that's great.

Hey, I'll take that! Lol. Totally agree.

I just wish people didn't judge the level of play as a "well he's a "lottery pick"/top recruit, he should be putting up these kinds of ZOMG numbers" or whatever.

Yeah, I get the fact that it really sucks that, chances are, when he does start to become more consistent & really start to take over games, he won't be doing it here at SU. But, that's just the college basketball world we live in these days...where the most talented players only go through their "learning years" at college, and then bolt to the NBA asap.

And believe me, I get that it sucks that we only get the inconsistent, first year starter MCW, and nothing more.

But to then unfairly critize the guy for playing like a young, inexperienced but talented PG running a college offense/team for the first time ever, is not really fair either.

Hey, I'll take that! Lol. Totally agree.

I just wish people didn't judge the level of play as a "well he's a "lottery pick"/top recruit, he should be putting up these kinds of ZOMG numbers" or whatever.

Yeah, I get the fact that it really sucks that, chances are, when he does start to become more consistent & really start to take over games, he won't be doing it here at SU. But, that's just the college basketball world we live in these days...where the most talented players only go through their "learning years" at college, and then bolt to the NBA asap.

And believe me, I get that it sucks that we only get the inconsistent, first year starter MCW, and nothing more.

But to then unfairly critize the guy for playing like a young, inexperienced but talented PG running a college offense/team for the first time ever, is not really fair either.

Agree with that completely. The lottery thing shouldn't come into play - all we need is for him to be a good Syracuse point guard (well, and a good citizen).

I just happen to think he's immensely talented; 10 and 7 and 5 (or whatever he's put up this season) is nice, but he's really capable of 50% more points, more assists (feeding the post this consistently over a season would have made a huge difference), and several more wins. He's good; the level of his play has been a little surprising. Today was what I expected to see for most of the year.

Dude leads the league in assists on an offensively challenged team. The team is 288th in 3 pt shooting, the big men are on training wheels, and yet he leads the friggin league, on a team with the least points ever scored in a game in the Dome, and on a team with the fewest points ever scored in a game for a JB team. Think about that. The abuse is unjustified, no doubt.

Exactly.

The guy has only put up 249 assists (to this point in season), which right now is the 2nd highest assist total in a season for an SU player since 1995-1996 season (J. Flynn had 254 total assists in 08-09)...

The guy has only averaging 7.6 assists/game (before today), which would rank him tied with Sherman Douglass for 4th all time in SU history in a season...

The guy has only 91 total steals (at this point in season), which right now is the 3rd highest steal total in a season for an SU player ever (James Thues & Jason Hart are tied for 1st with 101 steals)...

And he's doing all this (assist totals especially) while only in his 1st year as a starter this year, with a surrounding cast of Fair, Triche, Southerland...and thats about it (which, again, is not exactly the offensive juggernaut SU teams of the late 80's that Sherm got to play with...players like DC, Billy Owens, Stevie Thompson, Rony Seikaly, etc.)

Well, I guess Baye Keita is close to the level of a Derrick Coleman, now that he has added that "I believe I can Baye" turnaround jumper, lol!

Agree with that completely. The lottery thing shouldn't come into play - all we need is for him to be a good Syracuse point guard (well, and a good citizen).

I just happen to think he's immensely talented; 10 and 7 and 5 (or whatever he's put up this season) is nice, but he's really capable of 50% more points, more assists (feeding the post this consistently over a season would have made a huge difference), and several more wins. He's good; the level of his play has been a little surprising. Today was what I expected to see for most of the year.

But what 1st-2nd year PG in college basketball today IS putting up the type of numbers your speaking of?

Guys that were rated higher than MCW that have come into college basketball the past couple years have not really outplayed MCW, have they?

How about a guy like Marcus Page at UNC? Top ranked PG coming in this year...he's averaging 7.6 ppg, 4.6 apg, 2.8 rpg, 1.2 spg, 2.5 tpg

Garry Harris at Mich St? 13.2 ppg, 1.4 apg, 2.4 rpg, 1.4 spg, 1.4 tpg

Marcus Smart at OK St? 15.1 ppg, 4.3 apg, 5.7 rpg, 3.0 spg, 0.7 bpg, 3.3 tpg...so, it looks like he is having a very nice year as well...but he also has Markel Brown, Le'Bryant Nash, and even Phil Forte playing with him. Those are guys that can create their own shots.

The only guy who is head-and-shoulders above everyone (IMO) is Trey Burke at Michigan. 19.2 ppg, 6.8 apg, 3.2 rpg, 1.6 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.0 tpg. He's incredible, yes.

But thats it, really.

Mike had a great statline for us today, but he has only been the difference maker in maybe 3 big east games this year. But in fairness, thats not his fault becuase this team needs the offense to win and hes a pass first pg.

James really kept us in the game. And Brandon had a nice stretch near the end.

Mike had a great statline for us today, but he has only been the difference maker in maybe 3 big east games this year. But in fairness, thats not his fault becuase this team needs the offense to win and hes a pass first pg.

James really kept us in the game. And Brandon had a nice stretch near the end.

James is the difference maker when he knocks down 6 threes all on mcw assists, but it's mcw's fault when james goes 1-10. sounds about right

But what 1st-2nd year PG in college basketball today IS putting up the type of numbers your speaking of?

Guys that were rated higher than MCW that have come into college basketball the past couple years have not really outplayed MCW, have they?

How about a guy like Marcus Page at UNC? Top ranked PG coming in this year...he's averaging 7.6 ppg, 4.6 apg, 2.8 rpg, 1.2 spg, 2.5 tpg

Marcus Smart at OK St? 15.1 ppg, 4.3 apg, 5.7 rpg, 3.0 spg, 0.7 bpg, 3.3 tpg...so, it looks like he is having a very nice year as well...but he also has Markel Brown, Le'Bryant Nash, and even Phil Forte playing with him. Those are guys that can create their own shots.

The only guy who is head-and-shoulders above everyone (IMO) is Trey Burke at Michigan. 19.2 ppg, 6.8 apg, 3.2 rpg, 1.6 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.0 tpg. He's incredible, yes.

But thats it, really.

Nobody's putting up numbers like that. I think Mike's that good. Even without shooting well from the outside, he could still be good for a lot more made layups and floaters. He could use his height a lot better (I think he's considerably taller than those guys), well enough to be a capable scorer. And his court vision is very good, but his handle can be careless and I question the team's use of the bigs (with better instruction and maybe a different focus, he could actually have better assist numbers and fewer turnovers than he currently does).

You look at guys like Billy Edelin, Lazarus Sims, even Scoop - Mike is so much more talented but hasn't done a lot of the positive things that they could do. I think he's capable, but he hasn't done them. If he had, he'd have those numbers.

He was very good today.

I'd also like to kind of put the rest the theory that he's not into playing for SU/College Bball, he's waiting for the NBA etc. I was sitting pretty close to the court. Pregame he was the only one with any emotion. On the court early when we were down he was talking and trying to get the guys going. Saw him maybe talk a little trash to a Seton Hall player. Point being he definitely has not checked out from us. We have issues, his attitude I don't think is one of them.

James is the difference maker when he knocks down 6 threes all on mcw assists, but it's mcw's fault when james goes 1-10. sounds about right

imo when james goes 1-10 its not mikes fault its James because hes a shooter on a team that is lacking that. Therefore he gets a different standard senior or not. He HAS to make those shots.
And him and Triche need to take it personal every time they miss. Theres no time left for patient coasting.

Another year and Mike can be a go to leader. Hes a glue guy leader right now. Go to leaders do the things the team is missing and 80% of the time mike isn't going to put up 20 ppg on a night when brandon, James or Fair miss. Hes just going to play his most efficient game.

I've had my reservations about MCW but today he played like we all hoped he would for the season. For that matter, the whole team played well and better than they have, as a team, for quite a while.

But thats it, really.

What were Sherman Douglas's sophomore year numbers--his first year garnering big minutes?

No comparison.*

*and I think MCW is still pretty good.

Let's see what MCW can do today vs. a good team before we annoint him. If we are being honest he has not had a good game vs a good team this season. Trust me I want to believe but don't think that a game against one of the weakest teams in the league should be considered a puff of white smoke from the Sistine Chapel. I will trust once it is verified and will root for my doubts to be totally wrong!

:eek:

Make that 14 and 0! Nice!!
He did have 1 TO. He got picked with a couple minutes left. SH dude missed the layup. If you feel it appropriate, we can start a new thread discussing aforementioned TO...:rolleyes:

Stop worrying about him being a lottery pick. He should only have to earn people's respect as a contributor on this team. Not sure why people are so hung up on the lottery deal when we are playing basketball right now
This. 100% this. Earlier this season somebody on this board, I think it may even have been you, said that a lot of the vitriol the fans have for MCW stems from the fact that we won't have him for four years. It drives me crazy that people point out all of his flaws and how terrible he is, but all of us would take him back in a heartbeat next year. Nobody seems to understand that the pros want him for all of the same reasons we want him back. It has nothing to do with his shortcomings and everything to do with what we all see he can become.

Let's see what MCW can do today vs. a good team before we annoint him. If we are being honest he has not had a good game vs a good team this season. Trust me I want to believe but don't think that a game against one of the weakest teams in the league should be considered a puff of white smoke from the Sistine Chapel. I will trust once it is verified and will root for my doubts to be totally wrong!

:eek:
Louisville wasn't a good team when we played them in Louisville?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom