MCW | Syracusefan.com

MCW

jdubs30

Living Legend
Anyone else feel like he's really going to step up and have a great tournament? He progressed really well in the BET and the kid absolutely loves the bright lights. He seems to take losses
more personally than most players we've had.

I think he turns it on starting Thursday, leads us to a deep run, and solidifies himself as a top 8 pick in the draft this June.

Anyone else feel like he's really going to step up and have a great tournament? He progressed really well in the BET and the kid absolutely loves the bright lights. He seems to take losses

I think he turns it on starting Thursday, leads us to a deep run, and solidifies himself as a top 8 pick in the draft this June.

Agree that he made strides in the BET but his decision-making down the stretch of games absolutely needs to get better if we're going to have some success in the NCAAs. It wasn't just Louisville, it was GTown too. He made critical turnovers that kept GTown in it. I thought his "game management" would be one of his strengths this year, and it's clear that I underestimated the learning curve. Hopefully he'll take the experience from last week and and build on it.

Agree that he made strides in the BET but his decision-making down the stretch of games absolutely needs to get better if we're going to have some success in the NCAAs. It wasn't just Louisville, it was GTown too. He made critical turnovers that kept GTown in it. I thought his "game management" would be one of his strengths this year, and it's clear that I underestimated the learning curve. Hopefully he'll take the experience from last week and and build on it.

agree. mcw scares the hell outta me in close games down the stretch. sadly i think thats gonna be our downfall. turnovers and missed free throws in a tight game.

He seems to take losses

And well he should . I can think of a couple that he was personally responsible for. In fairness there were also a couple of wins.

No.

Hope I'm wrong.

I agree.

I am disappointed in MCW's play.

Too many turnovers - too many bad decisions and way too many missed FTs when it really matters.

Your PG has to make FTs at the end of games!!!

What should make you feel good is that: 1. He's not always going to be guarded by guys with two hands on him ala Ville. 2. There are few guys that can guard him in the open floor, and most of them reside in the Big East. 3. He' got to be fired up after how poorly he played in that second half.

Expecting a lot from him now that he doesn't have to play BE guards.

I think he needs another off season of S & C to turn into the player we think he can be. Missed Ft's are terrible but he's not the only one there, my biggest point of contention is when he comes down and decides to launch a 3 early in the set sometimes. I'm not a big fan of that from a 28% shooter.

I agree.

I am disappointed in MCW's play.

Too many turnovers - too many bad decisions and way too many missed FTs when it really matters.

Your PG has to make FTs at the end of games!!!

In his defense, MCW does a great job getting to the line, is actually a decent FT shooter and has performed well there at the end of many games this season. However, he's had a few horrendous games (7-15 v. Temple, 8-14 @Villanova, and 2-9 in the BE championship) that stick out like a sore thumb.

What should make you feel good is that: 1. He's not always going to be guarded by guys with two hands on him ala Ville. 2. There are few guys that can guard him in the open floor, and most of them reside in the Big East. 3. He' got to be fired up after how poorly he played in that second half.

Expecting a lot from him now that he doesn't have to play BE guards.

I agree - Here's to hoping Marquette gets knocked out of the east before we see them.

I don't want to see any BE teams again. (Hmmm Marquette or Miami? well if Marquette can get to and beat Miami for us, I guess that would be ok, but I like our chances of getting to the Elite Eight either way.) (I like or chances against Indiana).

Of course If we have to see a BE team in the finals, well then we have to :cool:.

He has improved, but one thing that I have noticed, is that he has a tendency to let people get in his head. That freshmen from Louisville, Ware I believe, was really getting under his skin, and you could tell he lost his composure. Teams are coming at him, and he has to realize that they know he is the engine to getting the team going, if he's not mentally in it, we have no shot at winning.

In his defense, MCW does a great job getting to the line, is actually a decent FT shooter and has performed well there at the end of many games this season. However, he's had a few horrendous games (7-15 v. Temple, 8-14 @Villanova, and 2-9 in the BE championship) that stick out like a sore thumb.

I was at the Villanova game when he missed the front end with 19 seconds to go and a three point lead.

Nova came down and tied the game at the buzzer.

Bring back Jimmy Lee!!!!!

I was at the Villanova game when he missed the front end with 19 seconds to go and a three point lead.

Nova came down and tied the game at the buzzer.

Bring back Jimmy Lee!!!!!
Actually, I was thinking Sherm. Came in under similar circumstances and helped lead us to a final four. Better supporting cast though.

No chance... We are at our best when we play up tempo, fast break post turnover basketball. We are at our worst when we play half court set basketball.

ZERO real production from the 5 (very Atypical CUSE), spotty at best outside threats = MCW trying to make unrealistic/dangerous plays. He is a GREAT athlete playing basketball. Almost no reason to defend his 3pt shot. He is really only dangerous on drives to the hoop. Triche and him need to do it all day long.

I can't stand the way CBS has bashed us this year. But you know what? Most of it is fair.

The lack of consistent production @ the 5 and the erratic play of MCW/Triche will define this year and the NCAA.

and please, HIT SOME FT's!

Any GM who takes MCW in the top 20, much less top 8, should look for a new profession. I like him and will root for him to excel in the NBA, regardless of when he leavs, but the notion that he is worthy of a lottery pick at this point is bizarre -- he has a poor shot, a below average handle, and makes below average decisons. He is also a sophomore playing his first year with significant minutes, its a shame he is not looked on as an up and coming star on the rise, but that is today's college basketball reality.

Depends. MCW was GREAT--absolutely great--for 25 minutes against Louisville. Strong BET before that, as well.

He was lousy the last 15 minutes. Can't be disputed, but I think people are focusing on the negative aspects of his play because of how fresh and stark the level of funk was in the 2nd half against louisville, and ignoring all of the good things he did helping us get to the BET championship game.

For this team to go places this postseason, we need MCW to be a difference maker. And at times, he looks like one. At other times...

Yea at other times he looks like a 1st year starter and basically a 1st year player. I think sometimes that goes overlooked around here you can't tell me that L'villes experience did'nt play into the game Saturday.

I think he will be fine. He is the least of our worries. Our off guard can't have 7 turnovers. A lot of them unforced.

I don't want to be the Brandon defender here but I watched the game after reading many of these comments. Yes, some of his passes were weak and he didn't have a great game and committed too many TOs. But his first "turnover" of the game was on a drive to the hoop (attacking like many here wanted to see instead of jacking up 3s) where he was clearly fouled with no call.

I don't want to be the Brandon defender here but I watched the game after reading many of these comments. Yes, some of his passes were weak and he didn't have a great game and committed too many TOs. But his first "turnover" of the game was on a drive to the hoop (attacking like many here wanted to see instead of jacking up 3s) where he was clearly fouled with no call.

Brandon had a "poor" game in my opinion, especially in the second half when things started to spiral and we needed a steady hand to settle things down. Many of the turnovers were ones where he took his eye off the ball and had it glance off his hands, etc. That's what was frustrating more than the mistakes of commission [driving aggressive to the basket, per your example].

Bottom line: we need both our guards to be better. And they're capable of performing better than they did in the 2nd half of the BET championship game.

The real season starts now--time to step up.

More worried about Brandon then any other player on this team, someone needs to be steady, which should be the guy who has started every game of his career. Its time for Brandon to step up and be the leader of this team, not the leading scorer or assist man, but the guy who doesn't make mistakes, and is the calming influence when someone else does.

Actually, I was thinking Sherm. Came in under similar circumstances and helped lead us to a final four. Better supporting cast though.

Actually Jimmy Williams was the PG at that time.

He could have dribbled out of the Louisville press without breaking a sweat - the fastest player I have ever seen - ever - on the dribble.

Teams could not press us back then.

I don't feel like he'll play any different than he has been. The trend is to feast on bad competition and to play poorly against the best competition.

Actually Jimmy Williams was the PG at that time.

He could have dribbled out of the Louisville press without breaking a sweat - the fastest player I have ever seen - ever - on the dribble.

Teams could not press us back then.
Sherm in terms of a second year guard who didn't get a lot of run as a freshman and followed a legend at the position (I know, Pearl >>>>> than Scoop). But yeah, Jimmy "don't call me Bug" Williams would have easily beaten the Louisville press without much trouble. K-State winning with 4 seconds to go will attest to that.