Meanwhile..at the dog show... | Syracusefan.com

Meanwhile..at the dog show...

Great breed! I knew one growing up, she was a sweetheart, very playful with my cousin's two dogs, a Golden and Lab Chow mix.
I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback growing up named Kimara. Amazing amazing dog with so much energy. If we didn't move to nyc then we would have gotten another after she passed away a few years back. Nyc just isn't a good place for a dog like that. They need space to run.

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback growing up named Kimara. Amazing amazing dog with so much energy. If we didn't move to nyc then we would have gotten another after she passed away a few years back. Nyc just isn't a good place for a dog like that. They need space to run.
Sorry that she passed, but yeah, you're right, not the place for her energy.
Over the years, we had two goldens and two labs in Queens, but had a big backyard, and boy did they make the most of it!

Sorry that she passed, but yeah, you're right, not the place for her energy.
Over the years, we had two goldens and two labs in Queens, but had a big backyard, and boy did they make the most of it!
That's amazing! Hopefully when I get my own place and I'm all settled with a teaching job I'll become a proud dog owner once again.

That's amazing! Hopefully when I get my own place and I'm all settled with a teaching job I'll become a proud dog owner once again.
I know you will be. Anyone who loves having dogs in their lives can't be without them for too long. They are kids that never grow up, always listen to you, and no different than anyone else in the family. We spoil our Italian Greyhound silly as you can see :)

Lucas, back in the pup years.

lucas3.jpg

I know you will be. Anyone who loves having dogs in their lives can't be without them for too long. They are kids that never grow up, always listen to you, and no different than anyone else in the family. We spoil our Italian Greyhound silly as you can see :)

Lucas, back in the pup years.

View attachment 2257
He's adorable. You'll have to pm me a pic when he gets bigger!

Edit: I Misread you should post a picture of how he looks now. It's not like 90% of these threads haven't been hijacked :p

The Rhodesian Ridgebacks never get picked so I get disappointed every year :/
I have two - my older big guy in the avatar named Rooyen and my new puppy named Adia - she is almost 6 mos. old !!! The avatar pic was taken in Santa Barbara, CA. - great place for dog friendly beaches.

I can't say enough great things about the breed and the great breeders that we got them from. Even though my two are 8 years apart & from different breeders, they happen to be related. My boy's father is my bitch's greatgrandfather !!!

Here is a link to several pics of my pack:

http://s226.beta.photobucket.com/user/jgleo87059/library/

The fufu is my third dog - Kip - the mama's boy.

The mix shown is my Abby, who I recently lost at age 13 1/2.

Many of the pics were taken in Sedona, AZ - an incredible place for those of you unfamiliar with it. Gorgeous red rock country with innumerable photo op pet friendly trails. Sedona is an artsy town with great restaurants. I highly recommend it for anyone heading out west.

The mix is very cute. I'm sorry Abby is no longer with you. What breed is the "fufu?"

The mix is very cute. I'm sorry Abby is no longer with you. What breed is the "fufu?"
Kip is actually a tripod. We fostered him after his amputation surgery & he fit in so well we couldn't give him back. No papers - but best guess is maybe a pom-chihuahua mix of some sort.

My Abby was my first dog ever - very dear to me. We probably would have stayed with two after we lost her, but my Rooyen & her were best friends & he was totally despondent without her, so we were fortunate to find Adia. It was really quite weird - a karma type of thing.

First - there was a litter down from a prominent RR breeder in a nearby town.

Second - there was a pet quality female available

Third - Two of the dogs from the breeder's prior litter were named Abby & Rou.

Fourth - The litter was born Aug 20th, the day my Abby was diagnosed w her lymphoma.

Fifth - As mentioned above - Adia was a blood relative of my Roo.

With all of that we had to have her.

PS - Adia was a name picked to start with A in honor of my Abby. It is the swahili word for "gift" (from my Abby to her brother Rooyen) since Ridgebacks are of African descent obviously.

I have two - my older big guy in the avatar named Rooyen and my new puppy named Adia - she is almost 6 mos. old !!! The avatar pic was taken in Santa Barbara, CA. - great place for dog friendly beaches.

I can't say enough great things about the breed and the great breeders that we got them from. Even though my two are 8 years apart & from different breeders, they happen to be related. My boy's father is my bitch's greatgrandfather !!!

Many of the pics were taken in Sedona, AZ - an incredible place for those of you unfamiliar with it. Gorgeous red rock country with innumerable photo op pet friendly trails. Sedona is an artsy town with great restaurants. I highly recommend it for anyone heading out west.
I'm really sorry for your loss.

You have some beautiful ridgebacks. I had an amazing time looking through those pictures. Thank you so much for sharing newmexicuse! I'm going to have to email those to my mom. You're going to hit her right in the feels.

I'm really sorry for your loss.

You have some beautiful ridgebacks. I had an amazing time looking through those pictures. Thank you so much for sharing newmexicuse! I'm going to have to email those to my mom. You're going to hit her right in the feels.
Thank you for the kind words - my Rooyen was actually a show quality dog. We showed him, but he could not win because though his front 3/4 is great and he has a beautiful ridge, his back end wasn't quite right (he had double TPLO surgery at a young age). He has a great personality & is now a therapy dog (as is my fufu).

Thank you for the kind words - my Rooyen was actually a show quality dog. We showed him, but he could not win because though his front 3/4 is great and he has a beautiful ridge, his back end wasn't quite right (he had double TPLO surgery at a young age). He has a great personality & is now a therapy dog (as is my fufu).
A tripod as a therapy dog. That is so wonderfull. It must mean a lot to some of the patients who are struggling with mobility issues

A tripod as a therapy dog. That is so wonderfull. It must mean a lot to some of the patients who are struggling with mobility issues
Kip is a feisty guy - he really enjoys his hikes though at some point he does need to get carried. My wife is the therapy team with both dogs - most of the work is actually now done at Animal Humane and child psychiatric - though Rooyen has been to the VA. Kip is great with people, but not so hot with other dogs, so he hasn't been to the VA where he is more likely to run into other teams. I will mention the mobility point to my wife, so maybe she can take him someplace where patients could relate to the disability - great idea !! Thx !!

I have always had dogs in my life. My dad tended toward picking up wandering strays, and I have to say a couple of them were pretty psychologically messed up, but they learned to love the large family as we loved them, even if we did have to muzzle one in public situations. My own dogs have been a combination of mutts and breeds, a golden retriever, a terrier something mix, and a bichon. I loved them all dearly, and they brought much joy to my family. When I lost the bichon four years ago, I decided I couldn't lose another dog. It was just too painful, so I settle for briefly mingling with the many dogs that are part of my neighborhood. I do have two cats, and they are fantastic; very social and cool to play with, but for me, a cat will never be the friend as deeply as a dog. I have lost cats and I've lost dogs, and I have cried every time, in some cases for days. And sometimes when I think of them or come across a picture, I cry again, but I feel sorry for anyone who has not known the joy of a loving dog or cat. I didn't have a chance to watch the dog show, but I recorded it; my wife and I will find a time to enjoy the experience together.

003-3_zps6ffc4c46.jpg

had to put roscoe down on the last day of the year-13 great years

the pig was lonely as all get so i

got a ghanoodle pup-afghan poodle- his name is dingus rattsquatch

what a little monster- had plenty of dogs but none with the stamina of this little turd-lol

He's adorable. You'll have to pm me a pic when he gets bigger!

Edit: I Misread you should post a picture of how he looks now. It's not like 90% of these threads haven't been hijacked :p
Ha, will do when I get home. This breed, along with Greyhounds and Whippets, not only run seemingly having one gear (turbo), you would not believe how high he jumps. When he was younger, he would get inverted due to jumping too high and freaking out mid-air.

Sorry about Abby. Those pics are so great though!

I have always had dogs in my life. My dad tended toward picking up wandering strays, and I have to say a couple of them were pretty psychologically messed up, but they learned to love the large family as we loved them, even if we did have to muzzle one in public situations. My own dogs have been a combination of mutts and breeds, a golden retriever, a terrier something mix, and a bichon. I loved them all dearly, and they brought much joy to my family. When I lost the bichon four years ago, I decided I couldn't lose another dog. It was just too painful, so I settle for briefly mingling with the many dogs that are part of my neighborhood. I do have two cats, and they are fantastic; very social and cool to play with, but for me, a cat will never be the friend as deeply as a dog. I have lost cats and I've lost dogs, and I have cried every time, in some cases for days. And sometimes when I think of them or come across a picture, I cry again, but I feel sorry for anyone who has not known the joy of a loving dog or cat. I didn't have a chance to watch the dog show, but I recorded it; my wife and I will find a time to enjoy the experience together.
You sound like a perfect person to consider fostering. My wife & I have had many fosters - we fostered puppy mill dogs amongst others. We know that we fostered & saved the lives of at least two dogs that otherwise would have been put down & ended up getting adopted. We no longer foster mostly because my own dogs don't particularly enjoy having the fosters around & when we adopted Kip, there is very different dynamic in going from two dogs to three as opposed to three dogs to four. However, we would still foster in a special situation if it meant saving a life. Some fosters are hard to handle & others are hard to give back, but in the end it was overall very satisfying, especially once you know they have found a permanent home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom