Meanwhile, over on the Providence board... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Meanwhile, over on the Providence board...

I think the most mind blowing thing in this whole conversation is the discovery that Providence actually has a message board.

I don't understand your attitude. We all agree that we'll miss the old Big East conference but if leadership prevailed you and the other Basketball onlies could really make great lemonade out of lemons. You could form a nationwide Catholic university basketball league that would be excellent. You'd be self-sufficient and an extremely competitive league and wouldn't have to ever think or worry about other programs more complicated issues regarding football, the BCS etc. Other than missing the great competition, fun with the rivalries and Big East tournament etc that we've all enjoyed throughout the years the basketball only schools are in a much better position than West Virginia, Cincinnati, USF, Louisville etc that have to worry about their football lives just as much as their basketball futures. It just takes leadership and long-term vision and being proactive instead of reactive. Wishing all the remaining schools always the best, for me they will always will be special and programs whose futures I'll always have an interest in.

Cherie, you only quoted my post not what I was responding to which was a post about cutting welfare checks.

I need to be clear, As a lifelong Big East fan, Cuse and to a lesser extent Pitt holds a good place in my heart. I have always rooted for them outside of PC games. I'm heartbroken about this but hold no ill will toward Syracuse, they did what they had to do to protect their interests.

I also agree that PC and the basketball schools will end up in the strongest basketball only conference in the country. I'm fine with this.

I am angry over two things. 1st I find it disrespectful that Swofford and DeFillipo would choose the day that Dave Gavitt's death was announced to (he died Friday night) to announce their intention to try and move the ACC tournament to MSG. It may be a small thing but I take offense to it nonetheless.

And secondly I have a big problem with the President of Pitt. As the person in charge of the BE's executive committee he used his position of power to get the other President's to shelve a $1.3 billion TV contract this spring. It is widely speculated that this contract had specific language on the makeup of the league. He knew he was jetting and if this is what Colleges and President's in particular are all about these day then it really is a sad day indeed for all of us.

One last thing, my comments in regard to new travel requirements were not intended to show that Cuse will be travelling any further than they already do, they won't. It was to show that if UConn does not join the league (I expect them to) then Cuse will only have BC and Pitt as schools close them.

I also think that ND effectively killed any offer to Rutgers by saying that if forced they would rather have the ACC than the Big10.

So Cuse announces it's deal to leave on the day that the man gave the University everything it has from a basketball standpoint passes away and you are laughing at the misfortune of one of the founding members? You are a douche!

For the record, Syracuse made a Final Four several years before Gavitt created the Big East.

So Cuse announces it's deal to leave on the day that the man gave the University everything it has from a basketball standpoint passes away and you are laughing at the misfortune of one of the founding members? You are a douche!

Had the hoops schools been a little more flexible, the football schools would never have needed to look elsewhere. I'm not laughing at the Friars, we have a longterm relationship. However, a lot of this was brought on by actions of the league offices in Providence...or lack of actions

Or when all those recruits in NYC figure out that their friends and family will have to travel to the ends of the earth to see them play, who knows. .

There's this amazing invention called planes. It's not that hard to get to, say, Charlotte from NYC using one of these devices.

..and certainly no more that it was to get to South Flordia or Louisville from NYC.

There's this amazing invention called planes. It's not that hard to get to, say, Charlotte from NYC using one of these devices.

..and certainly no more that it was to get to South Flordia or Louisville from NYC.

The Patriot League doesn't have far to travel either. I think Providence could fit in better in there.

Had the hoops schools been a little more flexible, the football schools would never have needed to look elsewhere. I'm not laughing at the Friars, we have a longterm relationship. However, a lot of this was brought on by actions of the league offices in Providence...or lack of actions

Really? have any facts to back that up? The BB schools acquiesced to every thing the FB schools wanted. The fact is the products SUCKS and the FB schools have NOBODY to blame but themselves. Cuse is fortunate they got our 1st. They (The FB Schools) begged and whined for more TV money and the fact is nobody wanted to pay for such a crappy product.

The BE needed some juggernut programs to support most of the other sucky teams and it just wasn't there. If the ACC thinks that NYC cares about anything other than ND football they have made a serious error. The fact is your school along with BC is now on the football welfare rolls courtesy of VA Tech, FSU, Miami, and Clemson. Funny how things work out.

Really? have any facts to back that up? The BB schools acquiesced to every thing the FB schools wanted. The fact is the products SUCKS and the FB schools have NOBODY to blame but themselves. Cuse is fortunate they got our 1st. They (The FB Schools) begged and whined for more TV money and the fact is nobody wanted to pay for such a crappy product.

The BE needed some juggernut programs to support most of the other sucky teams and it just wasn't there. If the ACC thinks that NYC cares about anything other than ND football they have made a serious error. The fact is your school along with BC is now on the football welfare rolls courtesy of VA Tech, FSU, Miami, and Clemson. Funny how things work out.

You realize this has to do with the fact Tranghese sat on his ass as Commissioner and let Miami, Va Tech, and BC go in the first place. It took till Va Tech made the BCS Championship game to invite them as a full member. The BE Commish was more interested in having these hodge-podge relationships than doing his fiduciary duties to all teams. Why were RU,WVU,Miami,SU,Pitt, BC etc. full members, but Va Tech wasn't? Tranghese has showed his true colors and bias towards the basketball onlies in all of media appearances. Tranghese doesn't care about the football schools as much as he want to protect your alma mater's interest which has a undergrad enrollment of 3,850. How a school that small is a BCS conference is unbelievable, but when ALL COMMISSONERS are PC alums it makes sense why your protected. The football product in the Big East until last year was solid, and if we didn't have boob in leadership wouldn't make ignorant statements.
2010- UConn #24 8-4 lost Fiesta Bowl to Oklahoma
2009- Cincinnati #3 12-0 (was a Texas last second field goal from the BCS championship game.) lost Sugar Bowl to Florida
2008- Cincinnati #11 10-2 lost Orange bowl to Va Tech
2007 West Virginia #8 11-1 won Fiesta Bowl over Oklahoma
2006 Louisville #10 11-1 won Orange Bowl over Wake
2005 West Virginia #12 10-2 won Sugar Bowl over Georgia

Let me ask you a question FriarJ besides having the BE commish as a PC guy name one thing since the 16 team conference PC has contributed to the BE coffers? PC fans look down at URI fans well guess what the only difference between the two is the BE football schools give you shelter in the conference, and those football schools product DOES NOT SUCK it hasn't had the backing of ESPN, but has been in full compliance of the BCS and if the BE leadership didn't push Villanova on the football schools I am not sure Pitt would have left the conference.

Good question. What has P.C. ever done for the Big East. Yes Gavitt started the league. And what else...?

Nothing, and you know this already. Not having PC around does not make your football product any better. The fact is and you all know this Eastern Football has no draw outside of the alumni base. They also don't travel at all. The fact is that the networks wanted no part of this. Penn State is the one and only eastern exception.

I still ask how were the BB schools not flexible enough? To lay this at the hands of the BB schools who were there from the beginning, and who essentially were just along for the ride is ridiculous.

Nothing, and you know this already. Not having PC around does not make your football product any better. The fact is and you all know this Eastern Football has no draw outside of the alumni base. They also don't travel at all. The fact is that the networks wanted no part of this. Penn State is the one and only eastern exception.

I still ask how were the BB schools not flexible enough? To lay this at the hands of the BB schools who were there from the beginning, and who essentially were just along for the ride is ridiculous.

You will be St. Bonaventure in 5 years. Buh-bye.

The fact is that the networks wanted no part of this. Penn State is the one and only eastern exception.

Huh? ESPN laid out a billion dollar offer for football and the basketball schools along with ND got that shot down waiting on a better offer.

Huh? ESPN laid out a billion dollar offer for football and the basketball schools along with ND got that shot down waiting on a better offer.

Listen the whole thing is a mess, you guys landed softly. It's all good. Best of luck, hopefully Cuse and PC can still play each other from time to time. I know many here have conflicting feelings, just don't see any need to dump on the losers in all this.

Best of luck, hopefully Cuse and PC can still play each other from time to time.

Yeah, who's going to buy tickets to the Dunk if SU fans don't ?

We need to find room in our OOC schedule for games against Georgetown, UConn, Nova and games at MSG. Providence is nothing but a brown speck in our rearview mirror.

And save the "BB schools did everything FB schools wanted" BS. I have on good authority that the BB schools were against adding Central Florida as a full member.

I don't either. But it's people that rap on our football team that gets me. Pitt and Syracuse, two teams that have won national Championships in football, have been knocked quite a bit on your board and others. Both will be back.

Yeah, who's going to buy tickets to the Dunk if SU fans don't ?

We need to find room in our OOC schedule for games against Georgetown, UConn, Nova and games at MSG. Providence is nothing but a brown speck in our rearview mirror.

And save the "BB schools did everything FB schools wanted" BS. I have on good authority that the BB schools were against adding Central Florida as a full member.

And if that had happened then Cuse is just happy as a pig in... Right.

And if that had happened then Cuse is just happy as a pig in... Right.

I don't know what SU's position on UCF was, but I know Pitt and WFVU wanted them. And not adding them and having the BB schools try to push Villanova really pissed off Pitt.

I just cannot believe you're on here whining about how unfair everything is. Providence is a complete cipher. A total non-entity. It's one thing for a conference to be run by UNC and Duke or Ohio State and Michigan or Texas or USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford...but a conference run by Providence? What a complete and utter joke. If actual worth to the conference mattered, you would have been drop-kicked into the MAAC years ago. That's what you should worried about; that the other BB schools will decide you aren't worth keeping around. You suck and you don't have a travel partner. Even if you just limited expansion candidates to Catholic schools, there's about a half-dozen better than you. What you should be doing is going on the BB schools boards and begging them not to leave your worthless carcass behind.

People no need to get nasty use the facts not personal shots, I was disgusted with this whole hybrid thing, but I am not going to take shots at programs just use the facts. My point is if you didn't bring anything to the table then you can't get upset with us.

I hope we don't schedule any of the basketball-onlies for five years. Let them descend into the new Atlantic 10 and then beat on them every year.

They need us on the schedule more than we need them. Now who's G'town, PC, SJ, and Nova going to sell out for?

I have seen it all now, whats next a Marquette fan blaming Syracuse for the demise of the Big East and that our football added nothing. Look if you were a West Virginia fan you would have a right to be pissed but Providence I mean really Providence? Like you said Providence has been a non factor for what at least a decade and a half if not more. Whens the last time you got into the NCAA tournament and made some money for the conference?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom