Media Day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Media Day

Have not seen the press conference yet, but curious about the use of rotating five attackman? Seems like a lot of touches to worry about. I understand wanting to utilize depth, but it seems like the best attack units have three very good players that compliment each other well. Occasinally there is a fourth who brings a different look, but five seems like a lot, and quite frankly - unheard of.

I like Voigt as a change of pace type player and I can see how you may want him in certain situations but not others. I've been vocal about my displeasure with Solomon, so I can understand the coaches feeling like they can sub in a younger player for him. Are the coaches going to rotate a duo of Seebold/Cook for Voigt/Solomon? I think Rhefuss needs to stay on the filed at all times. What does that say about your three year starter on attack that you rotating him out like that (Solomon)?

I feel like the unit is going to struggle to gel together if so many players are going to circle in and out. I can't help but think of the old football saying - "When you have two quarterbacks you really have zero". I'm excited about the younger players, but I think it says a great deal about the state of the program that the older players aren't commanding more playing time.

Have not seen the press conference yet, but curious about the use of rotating five attackman? Seems like a lot of touches to worry about. I understand wanting to utilize depth, but it seems like the best attack units have three very good players that compliment each other well. Occasinally there is a fourth who brings a different look, but five seems like a lot, and quite frankly - unheard of.

I like Voigt as a change of pace type player and I can see how you may want him in certain situations but not others. I've been vocal about my displeasure with Solomon, so I can understand the coaches feeling like they can sub in a younger player for him. Are the coaches going to rotate a duo of Seebold/Cook for Voigt/Solomon? I think Rhefuss needs to stay on the filed at all times. What does that say about your three year starter on attack that you rotating him out like that (Solomon)?

I feel like the unit is going to struggle to gel together if so many players are going to circle in and out. I can't help but think of the old football saying - "When you have two quarterbacks you really have zero". I'm excited about the younger players, but I think it says a great deal about the state of the program that the older players aren't commanding more playing time.

IMO Solomon is equally capable as an off-ball finisher compared to Voigt. That was his role when he was younger and he performed it well. Therefore the starters should be Solomon, Rehfuss ,and whoever out of Seebold, Berkman, and Cook is most capable as a dodging attack. If none of those three are up to the task then voigt should start and have solomon be our dodging guy from the right. Ideally I like solomon as the crease guy though since he actually is a threat to dodge when the time comes. Whereas voigt i dont think has ever even attempted to dodge in a game. I agree we should keep it to three guys with a fourth to mix it up. Desko did a lot of random inclusion of guys at odd times in the game and it certainly hurt any chance at cohesion for both attack and middies. But at the same time it also felt necessary since often nobody seemed to accomplish anything for long stretches of time. Things like putting Curry or Quinn at attack for a couple random minutes should really come to a ceasing halt.

Bomberry was better than credited and his production will have to be replaced . Believe our attack is a good group. Judging by Coach Desko comments the use of five is likely and I do not see a problem with cohesion because it will be managed and brought along.

Repeating myself that Solomon is underrated and under appreciated, all around att, a feisty focker who produces in various ways . Some brain farts but goes all out, take him on my team any day. Cook is already good and gonna get better , has wide arsenal with potential for higher ceiling down the road but today is not yet tomorrow.
Believe Voight will start and surprise, he may not dodge but neither did Bomberry. His off ball movement to cracks in D is very good allowing Refhuss and Solomon to find him, he possesses good hands with a quick release for that laser. He complements Refhuss and Solomon well and starred in the fall. Love his hustle and emotion. Seebold looks to have added some size which was needed for his playing style and confidence , skillset is there , his mobility and the willingness to engage shown in fall will offer a different look

Refhus is Guterking lite and I mean that as a compliment. He stirs the drink so doubt he is off field much. He impact is growing as he gets increasingly assertive. Opponents recognize his emergence and the attention he'lll warrant will open up the field for others .

As far as 5 men rotation, see it as starting three getting the bulk of time to start with some minutes feed to Seebold and Cook . Youngsters could see more off less dependent on matchups and performance. Distribution of playing time or even lineup may be different near year end, feel good about all five .

Thanks for the feedback re the attack. One thing I think Solomon needs to work on is his consistency. He was great against teams like North Carolina, but then would disapear in other big games. Maybe working with a third dodger/distributor like Cook or Seebold would open up his game a bit more. We shall see. Lots of SU players have "exploded" in their senior season, maybe Solomon will be another.

Syracuse men’s lacrosse: Head coach John Desko, others discuss 2019 season ahead of spring practices

IMO Solomon is equally capable as an off-ball finisher compared to Voigt. That was his role when he was younger and he performed it well. Therefore the starters should be Solomon, Rehfuss ,and whoever out of Seebold, Berkman, and Cook is most capable as a dodging attack. If none of those three are up to the task then voigt should start and have solomon be our dodging guy from the right. Ideally I like solomon as the crease guy though since he actually is a threat to dodge when the time comes. Whereas voigt i dont think has ever even attempted to dodge in a game. I agree we should keep it to three guys with a fourth to mix it up. Desko did a lot of random inclusion of guys at odd times in the game and it certainly hurt any chance at cohesion for both attack and middies. But at the same time it also felt necessary since often nobody seemed to accomplish anything for long stretches of time. Things like putting Curry or Quinn at attack for a couple random minutes should really come to a ceasing halt.
The mix and match approach to attack evolved from the lack of an all around x who might have combined passing and creative dodging from behind. He's just not there and has not been for some years now. I like Solomon for his grit and acrobatic sniper scoring, but he is not a dodger except from very close in front. Rehfuss is not a natural x. Very athletic, his speed is his best asset. Voigt is a natural crease attack. Rice was the last natural x, a brilliant player. None of these guys comes close. Were I the coach, I would experiment too. I have a feeling after watching the presser, Coach likes Cook for his two handedness. Might be that natural x. Wisnauskas had the ability. Spilled milk. I'd throw Cook out there very soon this year. And hope.

The mix and match approach to attack evolved from the lack of an all around x who might have combined passing and creative dodging from behind. He's just not there and has not been for some years now. I like Solomon for his grit and acrobatic sniper scoring, but he is not a dodger except from very close in front. Rehfuss is not a natural x. Very athletic, his speed is his best asset. Voigt is a natural crease attack. Rice was the last natural x, a brilliant player. None of these guys comes close. Were I the coach, I would experiment too. I have a feeling after watching the presser, Coach likes Cook for his two handedness. Might be that natural x. Wisnauskas had the ability. Spilled milk. I'd throw Cook out there very soon this year. And hope.

Great read. Rice was wondrous qb, a generational player who kept improving and now excels in MLL. Amazing guile and vision, understanding of angles

Tough comparison for anyone. Cook has some parallels in size and game but even Rice had a very quiet freshman year before blossoming so Id be hesitant placing too much too soon on Cook

Refhus has lankier body and is actually faster than Rice was but Rice's low center of gravity helped him reverse much quicker and he had greater ability to create space. My take is Refhus has two years to grow further as did Rice and think it would be mistake to take him off X especially for this year with seniors Solomon and Voight flanking. Syracuse is a contender and there is great familiarity between the three starters at present

Rice as soph in 20 games had 23-32-55 or 2.75 pts per game, Refhuss in rsoph year posted 20-28-48 in 15 games or 3.2 pts per.

Great read. Rice was wondrous qb, a generational player who kept improving and now excels in MLL. Amazing guile and vision, understanding of angles

Tough comparison for anyone. Cook has some parallels in size and game but even Rice had a very quiet freshman year before blossoming so Id be hesitant placing too much too soon on Cook

Refhus has lankier body and is actually faster than Rice was but Rice's low center of gravity helped him reverse much quicker and he had greater ability to create space. My take is Refhus has two years to grow further as did Rice and think it would be mistake to take him off X especially for this year with seniors Solomon and Voight flanking. Syracuse is a contender and there is great familiarity between the three starters at present

Rice as soph in 20 games had 23-32-55 or 2.75 pts per game, Refhuss in rsoph year posted 20-28-48 in 15 games or 3.2 pts per.
Some convincing stuff about Rehfuss. Good player. Hell, I hope he can surpass Rice.

Perhaps a few good players may be eligible for those Ivy "exceptions" being handed out recently.
Cornell for one is not far away.

aka, hopefully see a correlation between smart kids and smart play

I really like Rhefuss and have been a fan for a while. He was great as a change of pace attackman his freshman year and came up huge against UNC. Last year he developed into the A1 attackman the team needed. He wasn't perfect though. Another poster (maybe it was you Shol?) said that he would benefit greatly by developing more actual "moves" instead of just relying on his speed. Rice was great because he knew what angles to play. He didn't have the most physical gifts, but his mind was incredible on the field.

In terms of being the QB - we saw hints of Rhefuss's ability against Navy last year when he had 6 assists. I think he can do it, he just needs to iron some things out. Hopefully he has added some strength to his game, if there is one thing I am worried about, it is this unit getting pushed around by bigger more aggressive defenses. Bomberry wasn't a great dodger, but he knew how to use he body to post up and protect the ball. Don't know if I see that skill set on this team yet.

I really like Rhefuss and have been a fan for a while. He was great as a change of pace attackman his freshman year and came up huge against UNC. Last year he developed into the A1 attackman the team needed. He wasn't perfect though. Another poster (maybe it was you Shol?) said that he would benefit greatly by developing more actual "moves" instead of just relying on his speed. Rice was great because he knew what angles to play. He didn't have the most physical gifts, but his mind was incredible on the field.

In terms of being the QB - we saw hints of Rhefuss's ability against Navy last year when he had 6 assists. I think he can do it, he just needs to iron some things out. Hopefully he has added some strength to his game, if there is one thing I am worried about, it is this unit getting pushed around by bigger more aggressive defenses. Bomberry wasn't a great dodger, but he knew how to use he body to post up and protect the ball. Don't know if I see that skill set on this team yet.
There was a clip of Rehfuss at media day maybe and he looked pretty thin. I think I've posted that he needs to develop moves around 5x5 to be more of a threat to score and draw more slides to open the defense up for his passing.

Seebold is getting bigger and I don't think Cook is gonna take much crap from any defenseman. Excluding Cook, it looks like SU is recruiting some bigger attackmen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom