Meet Michael Veley, the ‘Voice of the Carrier Dome’ | Syracusefan.com

Meet Michael Veley, the ‘Voice of the Carrier Dome’

Tonight will be my first SU home basketball game in a couple years. Please tell me that Veley doesn’t still read the stats of players during starting lineups.

He is a good guy and I have many friends who told me he was a great professor and the silent auction his school runs is tremendous and he worked it hard.
With that said I can’t tell you how much his PA work sucks and he needs to say less. He loves talking as much stuff as he can say.
JB got mad at him in 2013 for basically telling Cooney he was one 3 from the school record and got him gunning instead of stalling.
He called out a fake FG against WVU in 2007 and Rich-Rod said the PA Guy alerted people on the sideline and they knew a fake was possible.

Last edited:
Tonight will be my first SU home basketball game in a couple years. Please tell me that Veley doesn’t still read the stats of players during starting lineups.
Oh he does and if we won the Battle for Atlantis or Maui Classic he would introduce us as the champions of that tournament.
The guy loves the sound of his voice and loves his time to talk.

He doesn't read stats of players.

He does talk about a billion other things that don't pertain to the game.

Doesn’t Veley announce blocked shots during games, as if he’s doing play by play?

About 85% of all Newhouse students could do a better job.

Could be the greatest guy in the world but he needs to know his role. And honestly, someone needs to tell him what his role is.

So glad he announces the score at various times during the game, especially with the Dome lacking visible scoreboards, etc. Once we get that humongous scoreboard with the Dome renovation, we will no longer need his services for that. ;):)

Wow. Didn't know so many people hated Veley. He was an awesome professor when I had him for SPM 205. I like what he brings to the Dome experience.

About 85% of all Newhouse students could do a better job.

Could be the greatest guy in the world but he needs to know his role. And honestly, someone needs to tell him what his role is.

No they can't. You're really overestimating the talent of the students.

I always love that people supplement their negative comments with "I hear he's a great guy"

The Dalai Lama is probably a terrible PA Announcer. I said what I said

I get amazed every time his name comes up and people complain. I can barely hear him during games and only make out what he's saying when I really try.

Who's listening to the PA guy? Why?

I remember people hating on Carl Eilenberg too. It’s all tradition - the complaining. :p

In a world... where I put my earbuds in... so I can listen to Matt Park...

I remember people hating on Carl Eilenberg too. It’s all tradition - the complaining. :p
Eilenberg was a pro.
Veley bleeds orange but he talks too much. He legit just needs to announce the basics but he goes well above that.

No they can't. You're really overestimating the talent of the students.

I think you are underestimating their ability to learn and grow into these positions. Start a couple on soccer/volleyball, progress to women's basketball, and then you can grow into the men's game.

Eilenberg was a pro.
Veley bleeds orange but he talks too much. He legit just needs to announce the basics but he goes well above that.
Just because you're a pro doesn't mean you're good. I'm a pro at three different things and I suck at each of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom