Melo Center Today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo Center Today

Maybe. Briz shot well in HS, Moyer was the Ohio player of the year, Did Frank all of a sudden become a better shooter this year because his mechanics improved or might it be because he isnt being constantly berated by his coach. Jims way doesn't always work and like it or not todays kids are a different breed one that in my opinion respond better to positive motivation than fear motivation. Moyer and Euro look paralyzed on the court. Maybe they just dont have it or maybe they are being "franked" this year.
BINGO

Millennials are not to be dealt with this way. They led far to soft a life (even the street tough kids with people pampering them based on skills!) of people curtsying to their desires. The are very much " what are you doing for me people" if you lose thier attention they are GONE and on to the next thing. JB isnt build to deal with that... this is why we are struggling with personnel out side of sanctions.

BINGO

Millennials are not to be dealt with this way. They led far to soft a life (even the street tough kids with people pampering them based on skills!) of people curtsying to their desires. The are very much " what are you doing for me people" if you lose thier attention they are GONE and on to the next thing. JB isnt build to deal with that... this is why we are struggling with personnel out side of sanctions.

Boomers have ruined the entire world because of their selfishness. Be nice to millenials or we'll take away your nursing home.

Autry(coach), Brisset, Moyer and Marek( bring a couple walk ones or team managers). Lock the door. Do nothing but take 14-18 foot jumpers for 10 hours straight with one of the guys guarding you giving you a 4-5 foot cushion( which simulates a game situation perfectly). Take a shower. Get on the plane to Virginia.
I believe it would be an NCAA violation to have a coach present for a practice that long.

Never in my life have I seen two players take more worthless dribbles than Moyer does and Roberson did. Catching the ball outside the paint, like 15-20 feet out, near the elbow area but closer to baseline, and just dribbling in one spot back and forth looking like they have zero idea what is going on.

What is that?

Never in my life have I seen two players take more worthless dribbles than Moyer does and Roberson did. Catching the ball outside the paint, like 15-20 feet out, near the elbow area but closer to baseline, and just dribbling in one spot back and forth looking like they have zero idea what is going on.

What is that?

They aren’t the only two doing that on the team. It’s an epidemic with the offense.

Danny Manning, in his presser after the Wake game, said he tells his players to "be ready on the catch". Know what you are going to do when you get the ball and not be thinking about it after you get it.
I think too many times our guys don't have a clue what they might do after a catch.

Wow, Brey truly is a genius for figuring that one out.
According to Breys Quote he says that this goes down as one of his best years ever. Genius or not that is his take.

Danny Manning, in his presser after the Wake game, said he tells his players to "be ready on the catch". Know what you are going to do when you get the ball and not be thinking about it after you get it.
I think too many times our guys don't have a clue what they might do after a catch.

The checklist of what they are allowed (or not allowed) to do is long after they catch the ball. (how much time left in the shot clock, am I shooting something the coach deems okay, is there a better shooter similarly open, etc,) Imagine running through that everytime you play. Watching my son over the years has shown me this numerous times. When they are allowed to just play, my kid at 14 could score on most anyone similarly aged, or slightly older, and most of the older guys I play with. But when they are forced to play within the structure of the offense, I can see him tighten up. You'd hope JB's offense would allow for more freedom to play within the confines of a slightly reduced structure, but it seems there are too many caveats depending on the player for them to just relax and play.

How did this happen? At first the other teams seemed to be slowing tempo to keep up, back in 2011-2012. Now, are we intentionally slowing tempo? Not doing anymore than resting and being in no hurry to find a good shot? Is that why we're not looking for a shot?

Of course, the biggest problem right now is that we haven't seen more than 8 guys who are currently on the team.

Matthew Moyer Senior Mixtape! Future Syracuse SF Can Do It All!

Not what I said at all. There’s a lot more to the game than shooting, on both ends. Moyer didn’t do much well the last couple games.

And I don’t think the solution to our offensive woes is to have bad shooters put up more shots that they can’t make.

Especially when the bad shooter in question, is one of the guys you hope is in there on the offensive boards, which he is unlikely to be if he is jacking shots 15 feet from the basket.

That said, I don't think Moyer got Boeheimed because he took and missed a shot.

This is not even close to true. Moyer wasn't a great high school 3-pt shooter but was more than fine at shooting jump shots. He also played plenty of small forward in high school, not just power forward.
And more broadly, it’s not like MM’s a bad player. He’s just earlier on the developmental curve than we’re used to with our starters. There are many reasons for that (and our general recruiting situation) that aren’t being mentioned here — an incredible stretch of lousy luck, including NBA defections; freak injuries; NCAA penalties; and uncertainties regarding the head coach, among others. It’s not like the staff deliberately looks for players that are long but can’t shoot. We’ve just been through a very rough period - our roster’s short and we’re starting program kids (longer development curves like MM) rather than relying on veterans or elite players. So yes, we’re young and thin. We’re underperforming offensively, we’re predictable and we’re getting exposed.

But let’s not pretend the program’s in an unrecoverable spiral. With the penalties mostly behind us, scholarships restored and coaching uncertainties eliminated, the players we have coming in look like the SU classes of old! I mean, Baze and Carey and Buddy are going to be great players here and will contribute immediately. If we get another big, we’re back in business. I’m as tired of the last few years as everyone else ... but it’s an aberration. In a couple years, MM’s going to be a nice player for us, so is Dolezaj. And I don’t need to defend Brissett. It’s just going to take time and this year is probably too soon.

Last edited:
And more broadly, it’s not like MM’s a bad player. He’s just earlier on the developmental curve than we’re used to with our starting players. There are many reasons for that (and our recruiting situation) that aren’t being mentioned here — an incredible stretch of lousy luck, including NBA defections; weird injuries; NCAA penalties; uncertainties regarding the head coach, among others. It’s not like the staff deliberately looks for players that are long but can’t shoot. We’ve just been through a very rough period - and that has meant that our roster’s short and we’re asking a lot of program kids (longer development curves like MM) without any help from elite players. Because of all that, we don’t have the immediate contributors we’re used to RIGHT NOW. We’re young and thin. We’re underperforming offensively, we’re predictable and we’re getting exposed.

But let’s not pretend the program’s in an unrecoverable spiral. With the penalties mostly behind us, scholarships restored and coaching uncertainties eliminated, the players we have coming in look like the SU classes of old! I mean, Baze and Carey and Buddy are going to be great players here and will contribute immediately. If we get another big, we’re back in business. I’m as tired of the last few years as everyone else ... but it’s an aberration. In a couple years, MM’s going to be a nice player for us, so is Dolezaj. And I don’t need to defend Brissett. It’s just going to take time and this year is probably too soon.
Really good post.

What is that?
They play in an iso system and are not iso players.

And more broadly, it’s not like MM’s a bad player. He’s just earlier on the developmental curve than we’re used to with our starters. There are many reasons for that (and our general recruiting situation) that aren’t being mentioned here — an incredible stretch of lousy luck, including NBA defections; weird injuries; NCAA penalties; and uncertainties regarding the head coach, among others. It’s not like the staff deliberately looks for players that are long but can’t shoot. We’ve just been through a very rough period - and that has meant that our roster’s short and we’re asking a lot of program kids (longer development curves like MM) without any help from elite players. Because of all that, we don’t have the immediate contributors we’re used to RIGHT NOW. We’re young and thin. We’re underperforming offensively, we’re predictable and we’re getting exposed.

Good post.

Where I'm most disappointed with MM is his inconsistency from game to game.

I'm very excited for the incoming class. I just wish we had more diversity to our offensive sets. We all know they'll be exactly the same next year. And we will have the horses. Gotta run with them. If we play a plodding style next year, I guess we will never run until JB is gone.

Good post.

Where I'm most disappointed with MM is his inconsistency for game to game.

I'm very excited for the incoming class. I just wish we had more diversity to our offensive sets. We all know they'll be exactly the same next year. And we will have the horses. Gotta run with them. If we play a plodding style next year, I guess we will never run until JB is gone.
other than his confidence clearly waning right now - do you think MM possibly put on a little too much bulk? I was just rewatching some of his HS clips and he was definitely lighter and seemed more bouncy/explosive

Good post.

Where I'm most disappointed with MM is his inconsistency from game to game.

Eh, he’s halfway through his first season...give him time.

other than his confidence clearly waning right now - do you think MM possibly put on a little too much bulk? I was just rewatching some of his HS clips and he was definitely lighter and seemed more bouncy/explosive

I really am not sure. He clearly converted some baby fat to muscle in the offseason but he does look plodding sometimes. He's never had the greatest foot speed. He looks explosive when he's wide open dunking and he does sky for rebounds on occasion. Then sometimes he looks like he's in quicksand.

Matt's been enigmatic. When he's really keyed in and given some rope by JB, he's had a few tremendous games. When he has a bad first 2-3 minutes and is tossed into the doghouse, it's a no show. Sounds like a script we've seen before.

Eh, he’s halfway through his first season...give him time.

I'm a huge MM supporter. He's just been extremely hot and cold, especially for a guy who was with the team last year too.

I'm a huge MM supporter. He's just been extremely hot and cold, especially for a guy who was with the team last year too.
Yeah but real game action is just different.