Melo Center Today | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Melo Center Today

I'm a huge MM supporter. He's just been extremely hot and cold, especially for a guy who was with the team last year too.
He should know from being around the team last season that inconsistent effort, repeated mistakes, and failure to follow instructions will land you in JB's doghouse.

Good post.

Where I'm most disappointed with MM is his inconsistency from game to game.

I'm very excited for the incoming class. I just wish we had more diversity to our offensive sets. We all know they'll be exactly the same next year. And we will have the horses. Gotta run with them. If we play a plodding style next year, I guess we will never run until JB is gone.
Agree. The future’s bright. And the staff has already righted the ship with recruiting — I have no doubt that will continue.

As far as MM, other than that baseline cut and put backs he doesn’t have any offensive identity. He’s not a shooter. He’s not a driver and he has no low-block (back to the basket) game. So he’s a long way off and really should be a developing back up if JB had other options. I thought he struggled against ND because they PACKED the inside .. there was no room at all.

Agree. The future’s bright. And the staff has already righted the ship with recruiting — I have no doubt that will continue.

As far as MM, other than that baseline cut and put backs he doesn’t have any offensive identity. He’s not a shooter. He’s not a driver and he has no low-block (back to the basket) game. So he’s a long way off and really should be a developing back up if JB had other options. I thought he struggled against ND because they PACKED the inside .. there was no room at all.

Yep.

Well, he should ease into the bench role next season. I genuinely think he's capable of making the 10-15 foot shot but he's so tentative now with the red light. I wish he'd watch film of the UConn game, where he made a few floaters when they backed off him. He played so well in that game in general.

Last edited:
He should know from being around the team last season that inconsistent effort, repeated mistakes, and failure to follow instructions will land you in JB's doghouse.

Absolutely. I get JB's red light for him on 3's but he better not have one for shooting in general. He's been playing lately like that's the case.

Yep.

Well, he should ease into the bench role next season. I genuinely think he's capable of making the 10-15 foot shot but he's so tentative now with the red light. I wish he'd want film of the UConn game, where he made a few floaters when they backed off him. He played so well in that game in general.
When he's on, he's been very impressive and has really energized the team. I think he is capable of hitting that mid-range shot, too, and am more comfortable with him taking it right now than Dolezaj.

Boomers have ruined the entire world because of their selfishness. Be nice to millenials or we'll take away your nursing home.
Good thing I was born in 1972 and just get to deal with this crap...

... the players we have coming in look like the SU classes of old! I mean, Baze and Carey and Buddy are going to be great players here and will contribute immediately. If we get another big, we’re back in business. I’m as tired of the last few years as everyone else ... but it’s an aberration. In a couple years, MM’s going to be a nice player for us, so is Dolezaj. And I don’t need to defend Brissett. It’s just going to take time and this year is probably too soon.

Love the optimism. Really, I do. And as always, I agree with your broader point.

But this kind of prediction seems to set expectations at an unattainable level. When's the last time all three kids in a recruiting class were great players at SU and immediate contributors? It's more likely that one will be great, one will be OK, and one will wash out. Or all will be merely OK. Or someplace in between. But if folks are pinning hopes on three freshmen next season, I cringe at the thought of some of the posts bashing those same guys at this time next year.

Love the optimism. Really, I do. And as always, I agree with your broader point.

But this kind of prediction seems to set expectations at an unattainable level. When's the last time all three kids in a recruiting class were great players at SU and immediate contributors? It's more likely that one will be great, one will be OK, and one will wash out. Or all will be merely OK. Or someplace in between. But if folks are pinning hopes on three freshmen next season, I cringe at the thought of some of the posts bashing those same guys at this time next year.
Not to split hairs, but I didn't say they'd be great immediately. I think they will contribute immediately, and wind up being great players here. I don't expect them to be great immediately -- except for Baze. He'll have to adjust, sure. But he's an unbelievable player. And JC's very very talented. Buddy was a top shooter at EYBL. And that's exactly what we need.

So I'll let Iommi or one of the other (more knowledgeable) recruiting gurus chime in. But I've been following recruiting pretty closely and there's reason to be excited. ;)

I am curious what our board gurus think about Buddy. How significant will his contributions be next year.

But Otto, that's one thing you can bet on. This is one way this board is very dependable.

I am curious what our board gurus think about Buddy. How significant will his contributions be next year.

Red shirt or not playing much. Howard, Hughes and Cary ahead of him. And who knows, maybe Battle.