Melo - from the bleachers | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Melo - from the bleachers

Clearly he’s washed up, and this is just a courtesy being afforded him. :p
I do think it helps that he fits in really well on that Portland roster. They let him do the things he does well, and the things he doesn't do well don't stress them out. It's a good situation and definitely the right one to revitalize his career.

I do think it helps that he fits in really well on that Portland roster. They let him do the things he does well, and the things he doesn't do well don't stress them out. It's a good situation and definitely the right one to revitalize his career.

Right. Stand in the corner and shoot 3s when Harden or Westbrook kicks it to you once in awhile after dribbling for 20 seconds, was a bad fit for him. Portland lets him do what he’s good at.

Melo, like a lot of players, had his limitations. But without question, he was considered one of the best scorers in nba history, established especially by his peers. The numbers speak for themselves in that regard.
In any case, to even attempt a ludicrous comparison between he and a Jahlil Okafor, who is at best a journeyman in the pros, is just fans being myopic, and borderline ridiculous. By any measure, Melo in his prime was far better than that. That’s obvious to anyone who’s devoid of bias and animus, and with even a modicum of common sense.

I'm a Laker fan so I loved it, but if Melo's teammates didn't bumble #&$ some late game dead ball situations in the first couple games of the 2009 WCF that Denver team could have forced a scary game 7.

Anyone comparing him to a back to the basket 5 like Jahlil Okafor who has about 6 feet of range on a good day is a crazy person for sure.

I know, right? It’d be almost as crazy as comparing him to say, a Jabari Parker...oh, wait: NVM:p

We need to be thankful that he came into the league when he did or he would probably be having the same career as Jabari Parker right now.
Uh huh. Jabari's 16-17 before getting hurt was essentially the avg Carmelo season. Can ignore that it was due to Cuse love or whatever but Jabari was the closest replica to Melo I've ever seen. Injuries have cost him a step or 2 and now his ability to score in isolation is no longer elite which means he can't help a team win games while age has done the same to Melo.

I know, right? It’d be almost as crazy as comparing him to say, a Jabari Parker...oh, wait: NVM:p

Ill make this as easy as possible for the people that can't see anything other than Orange. If you can't see similarities prior to Jabaris body blowing up than you are either being ignorant or arrogant.

Carmelo:
HS:
#2 ranked player in 2002 class as 6'8 230 SF/PF

NCAA:
1 year in college
Avg'd 22 and 10 on 45% and 33% from 3.
National FR of the Year
2nd team All-American
NCAA Most Outstanding Player

NBA.
3rd pick of 2003 Draft
Age 21 season- 26/5/3 on 48/24/80

Parker:
HS
#3 ranked player in 2013 class as 6'8 240 SF/PF

NCAA
1 year in college
Avg'd 19 and 9 on 47% and 35% from 3.
National FR of the Year
1st team AA,
Wooden runner up

NBA
2nd pick of 2014 Draft
Age 21 season: 20/6/3 on 49/36/74
That year he got hurt and credits roll.

Ill make this as easy as possible for the people that can't see anything other than Orange. If you can't see similarities prior to Jabaris body blowing up than you are either being ignorant or arrogant.

Carmelo:
HS:

NCAA:
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
2nd team All-American

NBA.
3rd pick of 2003 Draft

Parker:
HS

NCAA
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
1st team AA,
Wooden runner up

NBA
2nd pick of 2014 Draft
That's all nice, but we were originally discussing their NBA output in this thread.

That's all nice, but we were originally discussing their NBA output in this thread.

And I said coming into the league that he reminded me more of him than anyone else did I not? No one on the world is comparing their NBA resumes. That was apparently blasphemy.

lol

I know, used actual stats and numbers again. I know how much you hate those. "PFF Sucks". Probably have a Dave Gettleman poster in your bedroom that you pray to before bed to keep all the analytics nerds and their confusing data away.

Last edited:

Carmelo:
HS:

NCAA:
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
2nd team All-American

NBA.
3rd pick of 2003 Draft

Parker:
HS

NCAA
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
1st team AA,
Wooden runner up

NBA
2nd pick of 2014 Draft
What you’re really failing to grasp in your overeager attempt to be contrarian, is that comparing these 2 particular players based simply on their “similarities”, is totally beside the point. What you simply can’t admit, even to yourself it seems, it that Jabari Parker couldn’t carry Melo’s jockstrap. That comparison simply does not wash- except for their being similar in height, and play the same position. Melo was not just “another player”, he was in fact one of the best of his generation- one that included Lebron, Wade, veteran Kobe, Bosh, etc. Whether you wanna accept that or not, it’s not “Orange-colored glasses” to make that assertion.
Jabari Parker is simply not in the same class as a player, injuries and any other excuses notwithstanding.
Perhaps the only people who believe otherwise, even remotely, is you and all the other Melo-bashers out there.
Thank goodness the man, on his way to the HOF, gets to go out on his own terms, w/ a giant fkc u to all the detractors.

Carmelo:
HS:

NCAA:
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
2nd team All-American

NBA.
3rd pick of 2003 Draft

Parker:
HS

NCAA
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
1st team AA,
Wooden runner up

NBA
2nd pick of 2014 Draft
You're still working on this take? Why?

Chugg continuing to dig in I love it. Townie’s Manley performance was an all-timer but even he can’t sustain his current HOF pace. Good developmental guy to stash on your bench for now.
I like that like that he seems oblivious to some of his own posts in this same thread. Tons of potential there.

Carmelo:
HS:

NCAA:
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
2nd team All-American

NBA.
3rd pick of 2003 Draft

Parker:
HS

NCAA
1 year in college
National FR of the Year
1st team AA,
Wooden runner up

NBA
2nd pick of 2014 Draft

Jabari’s best year was equal to Carmelo’s worst year of his first 14 seasons.

Carmelo averaged 27 ppg when he was 21. Not 20. 27. Huge difference.

Pre-injury Jabari never played on Melo’s level at the same stages in their careers. At best he was a B- version of Melo hopeful. More likely, he could’ve been Big Dog level if he stayed healthy.

I know, used actual stats and numbers again. I know how much you hate those. "PFF Sucks". Probably have a Dave Gettleman poster in your bedroom that you pray to before bed to keep all the analytics nerds and their confusing data away.

As you arbitrarily chose to point out each player's "Year 21" stats, I'm assuming that you cherry picked stats in a futile effort to prove your point (at this point, I'm not exactly sure what that exactly is).

Some of your takes from P1 of this thread:

"We need to be thankful that he came into the league when he did or he would probably be having the same career as Jabari Parker right now."

"Jabari's 16-17 before getting hurt was essentially the avg Carmelo season"

Somewhere along the way, it morphed into how many playoff series Melo's teams have won.

In context, stats may be useful, but they're not the be all, end all. At least one pretty keen sports mind agrees:

As you arbitrarily chose to point out each player's "Year 21" stats, I'm assuming that you cherry picked stats in a futile effort to prove your point (at this point, I'm not exactly sure what that exactly is).

Some of your takes from P1 of this thread:

"We need to be thankful that he came into the league when he did or he would probably be having the same career as Jabari Parker right now."

"Jabari's 16-17 before getting hurt was essentially the avg Carmelo season"

Somewhere along the way, it morphed into how many playoff series Melo's teams have won.

In context, stats may be useful, but they're not the be all, end all. At least one pretty keen sports mind agrees:

If we had to compare Melo to someone from another era, he’s pretty much had the same career as Dominique Wilkins right? Not in style of play, but in their place in the league in their respective times? Nothing wrong with being = Dominique at all! That’s just a notch below LeBron/Bird - with the wrong teammates/coaches at the wrong times.

Whose Jabari? I like the kid. I wanted to say Mashburn, but even diminished from injury Mashburn was the #3 guy on really good playoff teams.

If we had to compare Melo to someone from another era, he’s pretty much had the same career as Dominique Wilkins right? Not in style of play, but in their place in the league in their respective times? Nothing wrong with being = Dominique at all! That’s just a notch below LeBron/Bird - with the wrong teammates/coaches at the wrong times.

Whose Jabari? I like the kid. I wanted to say Mashburn, but even diminished from injury Mashburn was the #3 guy on really good playoff teams.

Nah, not Mashburn, for the reasons you stated. Maybe a less durable and worse rebounding version of Donyell Marshall?

At some point Harden has to get the same criticism Melo did... No? Rockets may as well blow that up because they are never winning anything.

Melo is like Scottie Pippen on D compared to Harden.

Hell - Taurean Thompson looks better on D than Harden does.

Melo 26000.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom