Melo got 4 C's and a D | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Melo got 4 C's and a D

Just curious why you would think that JB wouldn't talk to 'Melo, and plenty of other people mentioned in the book, before sending it to print.

I didnt say he didnt talk to him...

But when it comes to JB and countless examples of JB's communication style... what is more plausible:

1. Listed off his grades to the author, got criticized, immediately reacted 'I talked to Melo' knowing that Melo wasnt going to rat him out (stop snitchin).
2. JB called Melo - "hey I've got this great idea - Im going to talk about how I think you were just as good or better student than a lot of freshmen - im going to publish your grades." "sounds good coach"

Also keep in mind, these grades are more than likely not even accurate. Syracuse is a +/- school. I never went a semester with 5 even grades. The +/- can change the GPA pretty significantly.

Sorry to reply to myself, but I just remembered reading an interview with Floyd Little from many years ago, when he talked about how hard school was for him academically, and how he busted his butt just to get C's. I don't hear anybody talking smack about old 44, so let's leave it at that.

just for clarification, when i started this... i wasnt ragging on Melo's grades. Im ragging on Boeheim for publishing the grades. I find it hard to believe he had Melos permission (maybe Im wrong) but if that is the case, JB broke the law. If he did have Melo's permission - JB didnt use his adult judgement knowing that Melo doesnt have much adult judgement.

just for clarification, when i started this... i wasnt ragging on Melo's grades. Im ragging on Boeheim for publishing the grades. I find it hard to believe he had Melos permission (maybe Im wrong) but if that is the case, JB broke the law. If he did have Melo's permission - JB didnt use his adult judgement knowing that Melo doesnt have much adult judgement.

I tend to agree with you just because stating the grades just leads to unnecessary follow-up- especially from people who want to speculate about his Spring. Since this was pre-APR, I just assume Melo withdrew that April when he decided to turn pro. Would have preferred just a general "Melo passed his classes or upheld his academic obligations" to make the point.

Agree 100%.

A few points.

It's hard to "blame" Melo for anything.
Carmelo was just taking advantage of an opportunity afforded him.
The fact is our institutions of "higher education" have plenty of guys who would have no business attending college were it not for their ability to put a ball through a hoop or run with a pigskin.

Second, I find it hard to believe that a big time recruit (let along the guy touted as THE top in his class) is going to get less than a C in most classes at any major sports college as long as he makes some real effort to do the required course work. (And at places like UNC you apparently don't even have to do that). So Melo's D grade may indicate he had a diligent professor.

Third, you can't necessarily judge a person's intelligence nor potential for success in life by grades. They may be indicators, but there are plenty of other factors involved. Like, say, sheer lack of caring.
I once had the misfortune of being teamed on a project with someone who had little interest in doing the work. So I did it. This person is now a well-known alum who is VERY successful in a particular field, very wealthy and an SU donor.
I'm thinking about sending a bill.

Melo doesn't have much adult judgment? Yeesh...

I would think this book was vetted and whoever published/edited it would have done some homework (LOL) and made sure they had Melo's permission. Or am I giving them too much credit?

But anyway, yeah, who really cares? Surprised it took till page 2 for a UK reference.

I didnt say he didnt talk to him...

But when it comes to JB and countless examples of JB's communication style... what is more plausible:

1. Listed off his grades to the author, got criticized, immediately reacted 'I talked to Melo' knowing that Melo wasnt going to rat him out (stop snitchin).
2. JB called Melo - "hey I've got this great idea - Im going to talk about how I think you were just as good or better student than a lot of freshmen - im going to publish your grades." "sounds good coach"

Also keep in mind, these grades are more than likely not even accurate. Syracuse is a +/- school. I never went a semester with 5 even grades. The +/- can change the GPA pretty significantly.
You may be over-thinking this. ;)

Melo did nothing wrong. He gave our school more in 1 season as a basketball player and has given millions of dollars back to the university. I have no qualms his academics were not his priority as he didn't even have to go to college for 1 season. I give him credit for maintaining the minimum academic requirement to remain eligible and have zero drama during his time on the Hill.
Grades are not the best way to judge intelligence. Grades depend on your motivation.
This is a non-story and all this story explains is why Melo didn't win the Wooden or Naismith awards as he was a dominant player his one year.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Another thing to consider is that somebody edited this book on behalf of the publisher. So, it's likely that they did get consent from Melo - or else the editor didn't do his or her job. Anybody who works in publishing or the media knows that you have to get clearances for certain types of content.