Met Sweet D today. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Met Sweet D today.

That song and JJ Jackson, its alright are burned into my teenage mind

Reach out in the darkness too.

A thread from over a decade again discussing warm up songs

Double D is one of the greatest human beings ever. I’ve been very close to him since I was a very young kid and we have played hundreds of rounds of golf together. He’s the same guy always. No matter what. He’s always there if you need him no matter what time of day. He talks a lot of trash on the course (which I love) and just an overall joy to be around. If anyone ever has the chance to talk to him when you see him, please do. There are few like him in this world

His handle was Sweet D. Shaft was his ensemble. I loved the show, the dust; Sweet D and Kid Kohls running the fast break with the ball hardly touching the floor.
Saying that he is lesser known makes me want to say that sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut.
Those teams were the most fun to watch for me.

I loved the show just as you did - the raised floor, the dust, the Zoo, the pre-game music, the press, the intelligent play.

Well, he is at least to me!
And me, and most everyone on this forum. For those who missed the show, he was as good as Meadowlark Lemmon. Sweet D ran our pregame warmup drills. The music was amped up and the crowd was delirious, giving us the best homecourt advantage in the Nation.

Surprised The Office GIF
Come on man.

And me, and most everyone on this forum. For those who missed the show, he was as good as Meadowlark Lemmon. Sweet D ran our pregame warmup drills. The music was amped up and the crowd was delirious, giving us the best homecourt advantage in the Nation.
Didn’t he also play with Meadowlark for a minute?

In addition to Sweet D's warmup routine, whenever I think of Dennis my mind also is drawn to the guy who was supposed to be "the next Sweet D". Cliff Warwell was from outside of Binghamton, if I recall, and came in with the reputation of having a DuVal-like game. He was in the same class with Louie and Bouie.

I can still recall his first game in Manley. He got into the game, was bringing the ball up, and without a defender within miles of him he whipped a behind the back pass to...I think...Ross Kindel. Might have been Larry Kelly and not Ross, but either way, JB was up off the bench, Cliff was out of the game, and he got a little "personal time" with JB several centimeters from his face. I believe the subject had something to do with that kind of hot dog stuff not flying on JB's team.

Cliff always seemed to have raw talent but he never worked out at SU. After a year, he was gone and knocked around at a couple of schools before vanishing into the mists of SU lore.

In addition to Sweet D's warmup routine, whenever I think of Dennis my mind also is drawn to the guy who was supposed to be "the next Sweet D". Cliff Warwell was from outside of Binghamton, if I recall, and came in with the reputation of having a DuVal-like game. He was in the same class with Louie and Bouie.

I can still recall his first game in Manley. He got into the game, was bringing the ball up, and without a defender within miles of him he whipped a behind the back pass to...I think...Ross Kindel. Might have been Larry Kelly and not Ross, but either way, JB was up off the bench, Cliff was out of the game, and he got a little "personal time" with JB several centimeters from his face. I believe the subject had something to do with that kind of hot dog stuff not flying on JB's team.

Cliff always seemed to have raw talent but he never worked out at SU. After a year, he was gone and knocked around at a couple of schools before vanishing into the mists of SU lore.

I recall Vaughn Harper also did a pre-game routine to, I'm thinking "Sweet Georgia Brown". I guess that sort of thing ended when JB took the throne.

I remember the first time I'd heard of Dennis DuVal. The varsity was going through a bad stretch and I was down about it so I started turning in the Frosh games and I kept hearing the name "DuVal" over and over again: Duval shoots and scores...DuVal with a spectacular pass...DuVal dribbles around his man for a lay-up...DuVal makes the steal. I felt better. The future was bright. Ever since then, when I'm down on the team, I think of that. As long as we keep bringing talented players in, there'll be better days ahead.

Do you remember Cliff declaring we were gonna win 4 national championships?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom