Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

He'll be the face of the franchise into the 2030's - if the Mets don't screw it up.

(But I'm not worried. the Mets never screw anything up. )
that bat, that personality, that city: he might never get a contract like trout or harper, but he'll make more money off the field than all of them

If you can't make the playoffs, that quite a way to end it.

86-76. Could have been better. Maybe next year it will be.

If you can't make the playoffs, that quite a way to end it.

86-76. Could have been better. Maybe next year it will be.

ended up missing the playoffs by 3 games. i keep thinking of those three late game losses to san francisco in the middle of july . . .

ended up missing the playoffs by 3 games. i keep thinking of those three late game losses to san francisco in the middle of july . . .

Or the six game sweep in late August.

86 wins with an all-time bad bullpen. What could have been. Hopefully, the Wilpons realize what they have here and spend money to complement the pieces they already have.

Or the six game sweep in late August.

86 wins with an all-time bad bullpen. What could have been. Hopefully, the Wilpons realize what they have here and spend money to complement the pieces they already have.

When I first heard about Diaz I had no idea what a great season he had last year or that the Mets had acquired him with Cano. When I read about him and realized that they'd gotten Familia back and still had Lugo and Gesellman who shared the closing duties when Famlia was traded, I thought we'd have lights out bullpen and be playing 6 inning games with DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler and Matz pitching those 6 innings, (along with the unreliable Valdez).

I'd also never heard of Pete Alonso or J. D. Davis and viewed Jeff McNeil just as a utility player. If I'd know how good those guys were going to be I'd have predicted a season like the '86 Mets. But I also didn't know how bad Diaz and Familia were going to be.

apparently, it's a "realistic possibility" that the red sox would seek to trade mookie betts this off season. they will want young, controllable proven assets in such a trade.

so, mets fans, who would you be willing to offer up for mookie? this isn't necessarily about whether the deal would be palatable to the sox, but about who the mets could give up.

would you be willing to surrender jd davis & dom smith in such a package? i love them both . . . but absolutely yes, i would

apparently, it's a "realistic possibility" that the red sox would seek to trade mookie betts this off season. they will want young, controllable proven assets in such a trade.

so, mets fans, who would you be willing to offer up for mookie? this isn't necessarily about whether the deal would be palatable to the sox, but about who the mets could give up.

would you be willing to surrender jd davis & dom smith in such a package? i love them both . . . but absolutely yes, i would

I hate trades. I'm a "bird in the hand" guy. Keep a young, good nucleus together and see what you can get from the farm system or go out an get a free agent if he fills a gap. With a trade, you are gambling that they guys you get will be better than the guys you lost but the trade wouldn't have been made if the other team didn't think they'd win that. Would we have bene in the playoffs if Brody hadn't made the deal for Cano and Diaz? Betts is a superstar but baseball is more a test of your overall roster and if you'd have to give up several key players to get him, can he make up for their absence? Who won the Bryce Harper trade, the Phillies or the Nationals?

The problem is, I wouldn't imagine for a second the Mets would ever sign Betts. If all it took was Davis and Dom, I would trade for Betts even if I thought he was gone after a year, but I imagine he would command more in return.

I also just can't believe the Sox; Mookie Betts is so damn good!

The Mets made a good comeback but i still can't forgive Callaway, a pitching coach, for what happened to Familia and Diaz and the failure to develop Syndergaard into a top pitcher. I'm willing to go for a change. naturally, being a fan, i want a proven winner, which would mean Girardi or Maddon. But they are saying Maddon is going to the Angels and Girardi to the Cubs. Showalter seems like this era's Gene Mauch, a guys whose game knowledge is highly respect but who could never seem to get teams over the hump. I think Bochey will remain retired and Matheny is supposed to become the Royals manager. I see no point in a "trade" for a manager. so they aren't going to get Hinch. If Beltran isn't on good terms with the Mets, forget him. Cone or Gibbons might be an interesting choice. Gonzalez might be good. Rojas, Espada or Ventrua don't move the needle for me.

hey Mickey

Image result for mcmahon you're fired

From MLB.com (sorry for the text layout...it won't let me eliminate the run on paragraphs)

What will Mets' rotation look like in 2020?
Oct. 1: The Mets have four-fifths of their 2019 starting rotation under control at least through next season, with only soon-to-be free agent Zack Wheeler as the exception.
The team fielded offers for Wheeler and Noah Syndergaard (controllable through 2021) leading up to the July 31 Trade Deadline, but ultimately held onto both in addition to trading for Marcus Stroman (controllable through 2020).
The expectation is that Wheeler won't be back, according to SNY's Andy Martino. Sources told Martino that contract extension talks between the Mets and Wheeler's agent didn't go anywhere in July. Martino expects the Mets to extend the qualifying offer to Wheeler and predicts the 29-year-old will reject it and sign elsewhere, with Draft compensation coming back to New York.
The Mets' current position, according to Martino, is that Syndergaard will not be the subject of trade talks this offseason, setting up the 2020 rotation to include Jacob deGrom, Syndergaard, Stroman, Steven Matz and whichever fifth starter the club acquires.

I think mickey is safe at least into may. you have to see if what happened in the 2nd half is sustainable. if they are below .500 mid may, fire him & hire dusty baker

I think mickey is safe at least into may. you have to see if what happened in the 2nd half is sustainable. if they are below .500 mid may, fire him & hire dusty baker
oof

Somehow he wasn't unanimous. The other vote went to Soroka. As big of a Braves fan as I am, even I can't justify that.

And the Mets are 21-17 when he got the decision!

And they are 14-18 overall in each year when he's been the starting pitcher. That's 28-36.

Jacob deGrom 2018 Pitching Game Logs | Baseball-Reference.com

Last edited:
hard to believe he's only 3 months younger than kershaw, but that's what coming up at 26 vs 20 does. rookie of the year and 2 cy youngs in 6 seasons is as impressive as kershaw's first 6 years

hard to believe he's only 3 months younger than kershaw, but that's what coming up at 26 vs 20 does. rookie of the year and 2 cy youngs in 6 seasons is as impressive as kershaw's first 6 years

I just did a quick bbreff play index search, Jake has the 5th best ERA+ for any pitcher in the first 6 years of his career ever. The 4 guys ahead of him were all retired by 1913.

And Jake is just barely ahead of Kershaw

He has a chance to go down as THE greatest Mets pitcher of all time, which is high praise considering Tom Seaver was a legend.

Jake is really building a strong foundation for a HOF bid. Yes he’s older, but he’s a converted shortstop with significantly less miles on his arm than many of his peers. I also think he’s positioned well to get success as a finesse pitcher once his power velocity goes, a la Greg Maddux.

We as Mets fans are so lucky to have this guy. What he’s doing is just incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom