Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

He was asked a question and he answered honestly, which is a breath of fresh air. Do fans really want players reciting the company line? It's not like Syndergaard launched a publicity campaign to trash the Syracuse visit. He was just answering a question.

Personally I'd rather they're honest and colorful while stopping short of alienating anyone, of course. From the club's perspective, they can't have liked his answer.

But I was just speaking more to my inference about his motivation more than anything.

Wish they'd let deGrom go into the 7th, not sure we'll see that after 93 pitches. Nice start, though.

Spring training batting averages of the Met's starting 8:

C- Ramos .351
1b- Alonso .352
2b- Cano .441
SS- Rosario .356
3b- McNeil .312
LF- Nimmo .291
CF- Legares .196 (But he was .339 last eyar)
RF- Conforto .258 (but led with 5HR in 62AB)

Put that with the starting pitching and the bullpen with 2 50 save guys and I'm pretty impressed.

Two great stats they have mentioned during the game:
-DeGrom has given up 1 run or less in 46% of his career starts. That's hard to even comprehend.
-Even if the Mets lose this one, they will be 37-13 in their last 50 opening day games. No other team in north American sports - MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL has even won that many opening day games in any 50 year stretch.

DeGrom didn't have his best stuff today< (didn't have control of his breaking pitches), but still gave his team 6 shut-out innings and struck out 10 guys. He's amazing.

I'm not buying it - his criticism came across as some combination of uninformed and pointed, looking to take out a little deGrom-related front office dissatisfaction on some low-hanging fruit. Why do I think that? Because when the schedule was released last year, I find it hard to believe that any player saw four days in Washington and three in Miami to start the year and thought "Cool, I'll get to sleep at home in late March." If it weren't for Syracuse, it's my understanding that the club would've stayed St. Lucie until Wednesday and flown right to Washington.

I doubt that, but I don't know for sure. Either way, he wouldn't have had to make the trip up there.

Anyway, Jake is still very good.

Does anyone know what station the game is on radio? Someone said 880 AM but I couldn't get a signal at all.

Great start!

Plenty of work to do but an opening sweep of the Nationals would be a great way to start the season.

Amazing pitching match-ups in this series: DeGrom vs. Scherzer; Syndergaard vs. Strasburg and then Wheeler vs. Corbin.

Interesting discussion of the met's line-up today: it's weaker defensively but better offensively. Keith said that with a top pitcher going, you want to opt for defense. it made me wonder: Would a pitcher prefer to have the best possible defense behind him to help hold down the score or the best offense around him to give him the most runs to work with? I wonder if pitcher are even consulted on this? I would think a manager's primary job is to give his players the best possible chance to succeed and part of that would be making the pitcher happy so he can fully concentrate on his pitching.

neither pitcher as sharp today as the opening day starters. strasburg at 60 pitches/4 earned runs through 3 innings; thor at 59/3

Interesting discussion of the met's line-up today: it's weaker defensively but better offensively. Keith said that with a top pitcher going, you want to opt for defense. it made me wonder: Would a pitcher prefer to have the best possible defense behind him to help hold down the score or the best offense around him to give him the most runs to work with? I wonder if pitcher are even consulted on this? I would think a manager's primary job is to give his players the best possible chance to succeed and part of that would be making the pitcher happy so he can fully concentrate on his pitching.

When you have strikeout pitchers on the mound, you'd think you could sacrifice defense since there should be fewer balls in play

Calloway is an awful manager what is he thinking leaving Wilson in to face turner?

My way too early reactions to the opening series...
- nice to get a series win against the Nats
- Lineup seems legit... love watching the kids play especially. Hopefully Mickey is not stupid enough to play vets for the sake of playing vets
- I'm worried about the pen... today Gsellman and yesterday Lugo came up short
- I'm worried about Mickey... how does Familia not get in today in the 9th? Isn't situations like today exactly why you sign Familia?
- I think the Mets are a starter short... Mets are betting on Wheeler to repeat the back half of last year and Matz and Vargas to be an actual legit MLB level pitchers. This team would look so much better with Gio or Kuechel at the 5th pitcher spot.
- Is it me or is Thor a way overrated pitcher? He has great stuff but he seems to have limited control in big moments like the 2 strike counts. He also lives way too high in the strike zone. Again the Nats are really good so I'll withhold judgment but I think Mr Thor flatters to deceive.

Hopefully Mets can avoid stubbing their toes against Miami... a team that's always gives the Mets trouble.

- Lineup seems legit... love watching the kids play especially. Hopefully Mickey is not stupid enough to play vets for the sake of playing vets
- I'm worried about Mickey... how does Familia not get in today in the 9th? Isn't situations like today exactly why you sign Familia?
- I think the Mets are a starter short... Mets are betting on Wheeler to repeat the back half of last year and Matz and Vargas to be an actual legit MLB level pitchers. This team would look so much better with Gio or Kuechel at the 5th pitcher spot.
- Is it me or is Thor a way overrated pitcher? He has great stuff but he seems to have limited control in big moments like the 2 strike counts. He also lives way too high in the strike zone. Again the Nats are really good so I'll withhold judgment but I think Mr Thor flatters to deceive.

Hopefully Mets can avoid stubbing their toes against Miami... a team that's always gives the Mets trouble.

Calloway may have seemed like a great choice for a team with a lot of young pitching talent but he may have been promoted to his level of incompetence.

Syndergaard hasn't reached his prime yet. DeGrom is 4 years older. Maybe we should be a little more patient with Thor.

I'm impressed with the number of good young players the Mets have al of a sudden. I think Alderson and Van Wagenen deserve a lot of credit considering the situation they inherited.

Calloway may have seemed like a great choice for a team with a lot of young pitching talent but he may have been promoted to his level of incompetence.

Syndergaard hasn't reached his prime yet. DeGrom is 4 years older. Maybe we should be a little more patient with Thor.

I'm impressed with the number of good young players the Mets have al of a sudden. I think Alderson and Van Wagenen deserve a lot of credit considering the situation they inherited.
DeGrom was a beast even 4 years ago... not too many other pitchers could have beaten the Dodgers in that NLCS matchup against Kershaw. Also Thor talks a LOT, DeGro

Calloway is an awful manager what is he thinking leaving Wilson in to face turner?

I’d rather lose in the 9th than burn the bullpen and lose in the 14th.

Nice work. I’ll add mine.

- This lineup is going to score runs all year. They’re so balanced. No longer HR or bust. This might be the best lineup we’ve had since 06. Imagine if Cespedes makes it back in August?? Yikes! Also Frazier will struggle to get playing time, even if healthy. Once Lowrie is healthy, he’ll take over at third and you’ll see a lineup like this.

Nimmo
Alonso
Cano
Conforto
Ramos
Lowrie
McNeil
Rosario

I’d almost put Lowrie or McNeil 2nd and lengthen the lineup that way. Then you move Alonso to the six hole. Is he a good enough hitter to hit second? Time will tell but he’s impressed so far. He’s going to be a very good hitter.

- Not at all worried about the pen. Lugo should not have pitched two innings on Saturday though. The Nationals pen looks like a dumpster fire compared to ours. We owned them that series.

- Our rotation is legit but we’re one injury away from big trouble. I guess you can say that about any team but we’re very top heavy. Wheeler should impress in a contract year. I agree that we’d benefit from Keuchel. I wonder if he’d be willing to take a one year deal? I’d do that and make Vargas the long man, a la Darren Oliver in 06’.

- Love seeing them battle back down three runs yesterday. Key contributions from bench guys, too. However, I wish Mickey had run out the starting lineup to make a statement. A series sweep of the Nats on the road makes a statement. It’s the third game of the season! Why give Ramos and McNeil the day off? Particularly McNeil, who had four hits on Saturday?

- This team will be in the mix for a playoff spot. Atlanta looks overrated. Phillies are for real. The NL East could get two wild card teams this year.

Last edited:
I’d rather lose in the 9th than burn the bullpen and lose in the 14th.
The way the mets were swinging the bats and the nat bp was going we prob win it in the 10th.

Games will not be broadcast on radio here in Syracuse because the company couldn't come to an agreement.

Nice move Mets.

are oswego/oneanta still doing the games?

its been so long since a local did the Mets I have forgotten the good ol days..

really can believe more effort wasnt put in to get a local station going

thank god for XM radio.

Article I read said all of upstate isn't getting anything. Only if you can manage a signal from 880 in the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom