Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

i get it though.. Smith is hitting just as a PH and he needs ABs to keep that going and no doubt he wants to play Alanso thru the Wash Series. the whole team took a bunch of bad swings last night in key spots. Matz was good except for 1 pitch and the errors/mistakes on D kept him from throwing a scoreless game

i get it though.. Smith is hitting just as a PH and he needs ABs to keep that going and no doubt he wants to play Alanso thru the Wash Series. the whole team took a bunch of bad swings last night in key spots. Matz was good except for 1 pitch and the errors/mistakes on D kept him from throwing a scoreless game

Davis is a butcher at 3B. I think he does down when Lowrie is back.

are oswego/oneanta still doing the games?

its been so long since a local did the Mets I have forgotten the good ol days..

really can believe more effort wasnt put in to get a local station going

thank god for XM radio.

I subscribe to MLB.tv every year because we don’t have cable at home. You get the radio stream along with it. I always use that when I’m in the car because it’s clearer than radio.

Games will not be broadcast on radio here in Syracuse because the company couldn't come to an agreement.
None of the radio companies in Syracuse want to carry the Mets because of Syndergaard's comments. ;)

Mets bullpen looks like it's going to be a problem this year, just like last. Diaz loaded the bases yesterday before pulling it out. Gsellman loaded the bases today before escaping. Lugo was a gas can for the 2nd straight outing. Wilson got the save, but got really lucky on two straight really hard hit balls that went straight at Rosario including the game ender... All this against a pretty crappy Marlins lineup with pretty decent leads I might add.

At some point the hitting will get less hot... not sure the pen is going to hold up. I think Familia and Diaz should be ok but Gsellman was scary last year and Lugo doesn't seem right and I've never heard of any of the other dudes. How great would the dude from Atlanta look in this bullpen and how great would Kuechel or Gio look at the backend of the rotation?

Mets bullpen looks like it's going to be a problem this year, just like last. Diaz loaded the bases yesterday before pulling it out. Gsellman loaded the bases today before escaping. Lugo was a gas can for the 2nd straight outing. Wilson got the save, but got really lucky on two straight really hard hit balls that went straight at Rosario including the game ender... All this against a pretty crappy Marlins lineup with pretty decent leads I might add.

At some point the hitting will get less hot... not sure the pen is going to hold up. I think Familia and Diaz should be ok but Gsellman was scary last year and Lugo doesn't seem right and I've never heard of any of the other dudes. How great would the dude from Atlanta look in this bullpen and how great would Kuechel or Gio look at the backend of the rotation?

First of all, Gio is on the Yankees, so that’s out. Unfortunately the Mets blew their wad on the deGrom extension, so I doubt we bring in Kimbrel. Kuechel would look good in the rotation but he needs to get up to speed so he wouldn’t really be an asset until June or so.

The bigger issue is not the pen, it’s how the pen is being managed. It’s not even the end of the first week yet and Mickey seems hellbent on burning the pen to the ground. Díaz AND Familia were unavailable today. It’s the fifth game of the season!!

I didn’t think it would be possible to have a worse in-game manager than Terry Collins, but Mickey is knocking on the door. He’s truly awful.

I thought Rosario should have gotten the save. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions this early. Calloway said that Lugo had been sick and was pitching with a fever.

I thought Rosario should have gotten the save. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions this early. Calloway said that Lugo had been sick and was pitching with a fever.

The problem with Mickey wanting to pitch guys multiple innings at a time is that with a five man pen, you’re going to burn it up faster. They have little trust in Avilan and almost zero trust in Peterson. So it’s basically a five man pen, which doesn’t lend itself well to guys pitching multiple innings at a time.

The problem with Mickey wanting to pitch guys multiple innings at a time is that with a five man pen, you’re going to burn it up faster. They have little trust in Avilan and almost zero trust in Peterson. So it’s basically a five man pen, which doesn’t lend itself well to guys pitching multiple innings at a time.
Yep and it doesn’t help that it looks like outside of DeGrom the starters aren’t going to go much past 5 innings so they are going to need 4 relievers a night. Why does it feel like the Marlins can pull dude after dude out of their pen and send our guys down one... two... three and we can’t have a single clean inning with our pen?

so he should not pitch to win games? if lugo was pitching as expected almost everything thats been bad about the pen is gone. diaz threw 30 pitches otherwise he would have thrown last night. Its not the use its how poorly they have pitched in some spots.

if the starters can get you 6 you still need to find 3 innings from someone and it cant be the same 3 every night. G and Lugo have been far from stellar

so he should not pitch to win games? if lugo was pitching as expected almost everything thats been bad about the pen is gone. diaz threw 30 pitches otherwise he would have thrown last night. Its not the use its how poorly they have pitched in some spots.

if the starters can get you 6 you still need to find 3 innings from someone and it cant be the same 3 every night. G and Lugo have been far from stellar
You've nailed the main problem... those guys are struggling to miss bats. Lugo in particular got hit hard, Miami was definitely squaring him up. I also feel like the D has taken a step back this year with how many grounders are making it through the infield just out of the grasp of an infielder. I'm not sure if it's just bad luck or whether our dudes are getting late breaks on the ball or are just positioned incorrectly.

Having said all that... two series wins to start the year and a 4-1 record is nothing to sniff at. I'm pretty sure Lugo will pitch better but I'm not sure about Gsellman and none of the other dudes has impressed me... It feels like we are two relievers short.

Yep and it doesn’t help that it looks like outside of DeGrom the starters aren’t going to go much past 5 innings so they are going to need 4 relievers a night. Why does it feel like the Marlins can pull dude after dude out of their pen and send our guys down one... two... three and we can’t have a single clean inning with our pen?

You've nailed the main problem... those guys are struggling to miss bats. Lugo in particular got hit hard, Miami was definitely squaring him up. I also feel like the D has taken a step back this year with how many grounders are making it through the infield just out of the grasp of an infielder. I'm not sure if it's just bad luck or whether our dudes are getting late breaks on the ball or are just positioned incorrectly.

Having said all that... two series wins to start the year and a 4-1 record is nothing to sniff at. I'm pretty sure Lugo will pitch better but I'm not sure about Gsellman and none of the other dudes has impressed me... It feels like we are two relievers short.

Lugo and Gsellman are former and possibly future starters so i can see why Calloway would expect he could get more than one inning out of them. And again, you are drawing conclusions about how far the starters can go based only on their first start of the year., with 2-3 dozen to go.

Lugo and Gsellman are former and possibly future starters so i can see why Calloway would expect he could get more than one inning out of them. And again, you are drawing conclusions about how far the starters can go based only on their first start of the year., with 2-3 dozen to go.
Actually I'm basing on last year and seeing the same behavior as this year. Other than Jake, our guys don't seem to like to pitch to contact so they tend to run up high pitch counts.

Man im running out of words to describe degrom. Its just unreal.

Man im running out of words to describe degrom. Its just unreal.

You wonder what his peak is.

359px-Shishapangma.jpg

lots of higher dollar value guys out there, but jake is the best player in the nl right now

lots of higher dollar value guys out there, but jake is the best player in the nl right now
Agreed. If the Mets can give him run support you can award him the cy young right now.

Mets bullpen on the other hand is a dumpster fire married to a tire fire.

They said that the Mets record when Cy Young winner DeGrom pitched last year was 14-18, a 0.4375 winning percentage. overall they were 77-85, so they were 63-67 when DeGrom didn't pitch. That's 0.4846. UFB.

I have no problem with the talent in the bullpen but it's usage so far this season makes no sense to me. What are saving the big guns for? Every game matters.

They said that the Mets record when Cy Young winner DeGrom pitched last year was 14-18, a 0.4375 winning percentage. overall they were 77-85, so they were 63-67 when DeGrom didn't pitch. That's 0.4846. UFB.

I have no problem with the talent in the bullpen but it's usage so far this season makes no sense to me. What are saving the big guns for? Every game matters.
What big guns is he saving? Diaz has pitched In 4 of 6 games to date and warmed up in a fifth. My guess is he is now unavailable tomorrow against the Nats. They should not need the big guns up 6-0 in the bottom of the ninth. This is going to bite them in the a$$, especially given the lack of high end pitching depth in the minors. I think Brodie needs to go shopping.

so you want them to throw the 2 they trust in a 6 run game now?

he tried the last 2 nights to use his 3-4 guy and they both bombed.

he tried stealing innings with another and he bombed.

if G and Lugo throw at all its not an issue

dont forget they play at 1pm tomorrow.. they will get no sleep and he was trying to save his best from havibg to throw, get on a plane and not really warm down the usual way and get to the park early tomorrow

6 runs leads should be safe that we dont need 3 guys in one inning.

good chance we cant use diaz tomorrow now.

talk with Kimbrel.. tell him he gets a chance to do a 1yr deal for decent money on a team with high end and he gets to save 15-20 games.

he would have have 2 saves already if he was hear now

they need 1 more arm and the G and Lugo to figure it out.

who knows what happens when the other guys cant get out of the 6th the way the bullpen is throwing now.

Get Keuchel, move vargas to long man and you fix things pretty well too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom