Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

so you want them to throw the 2 they trust in a 6 run game now?

he tried the last 2 nights to use his 3-4 guy and they both bombed.

he tried stealing innings with another and he bombed.

if G and Lugo throw at all its not an issue

dont forget they play at 1pm tomorrow.. they will get no sleep and he was trying to save his best from havibg to throw, get on a plane and not really warm down the usual way and get to the park early tomorrow

6 runs leads should be safe that we dont need 3 guys in one inning.

good chance we cant use diaz tomorrow now.
The game starts at 1 tomorrow!? Yikes... this is almost a guaranteed loss. Thor needs a quality start. At least Familia is available if they can get him the ball... tho he struggles to pitch clean innings.

talk with Kimbrel.. tell him he gets a chance to do a 1yr deal for decent money on a team with high end and he gets to save 15-20 games.

he would have have 2 saves already if he was hear now

they need 1 more arm and the G and Lugo to figure it out.

who knows what happens when the other guys cant get out of the 6th the way the bullpen is throwing now.

Get Keuchel, move vargas to long man and you fix things pretty well too.
get both and become favorites for the worke series. There aren’t any monster teams in the NL like there is in the AL... Mets have a window this year.

hate the Mets but love DeGrom as my fantasy team ace!

What big guns is he saving? Diaz has pitched In 4 of 6 games to date and warmed up in a fifth. My guess is he is now unavailable tomorrow against the Nats. They should not need the big guns up 6-0 in the bottom of the ninth. This is going to bite them in the a$$, especially given the lack of high end pitching depth in the minors. I think Brodie needs to go shopping.

How about Familia? We have two 50 save closers. And I can't believe the two one batter saves will prevent Calloway from using Diaz against the Nats. Why do we have to go with guys I've never heard of?

How about Familia? We have two 50 save closers. And I can't believe the two one batter saves will prevent Calloway from using Diaz against the Nats. Why do we have to go with guys I've never heard of?
Two points, historically, Familia has been terrible in non-save situations and the last few games were non-save scenarios until the crappy pen turned then into tense, save situations. Secondly the team has to be able to close out games in which they are up 5 runs or more without pulling in the big guns. At the end of the day the pen is filled with major league pitchers and they either need to perform or we need to find new pitchers.

The athletic has a great preview of the Nats series which has stats that show just how unsustainable their current offensive explosion is. They have the second highest swing and miss rate and their BABIP is over 90 points higher than the league average to date and over 70 higher than where the league typically ends up after a full season. Basically they are getting very lucky on the balls they put into play and they strike out too much. When you account for those stats plus the fact that the Mets perform worse, historically, at Citi than on the road, you can almost predict an offensive regression is coming.

The pen needs to step up its game, or just like last year, it's going to prevent the Mets from being competitive despite all of the other good things they have done so far.

Paul Edsen on the Manchild show said that he'd interviewed a Mets guy on his afternoon show and that guy said that the NL East is going to be so competitive this year that every game in the division is important, not just the ones with the Nationals. they had a graphic on last night's game showing how the divisional winners in recent history have absolutely pounded the last place teams and this year's that's going to be the Marlins. the Mets can't afford loses to them because there will be losses to the other teams. it was important to get the sweep and they did it.

i mean, this is just unfair:
carlreiner.jpg

What in the world is wrong with Seth Lugo?

Kind of expected that the Mets would lose today. Hopefully they can pull out of it on Saturday. I will say one concern I have is that for all of the talk of better hitting this team still doesn't have proven hitters other than Cano... Conforto, Alonso, McNeil, Davis, Nimmo, etc... all potential without consistent proof. The upside is signficant but so is the floor. Will be fun to see I guess.

glass half full moqui: the offense looks a lot better this year
glass half empty moqui: an awfully high percentage of our runs have been scored against the awful washington bullpen

glass half full moqui: the offense looks a lot better this year
glass half empty moqui: an awfully high percentage of our runs have been scored against the awful washington bullpen
Isn't that the recipe for baseball these days? Get the starter out and go after the bullpen? The Nats especially with Scherzer, Strausberg and Corbin, are pretty solid. Not many teams are going to do much against those dudes.

I'm much much more concerned about Mets pitching. Two weeks in to the season my biggest concerns are that they are one or two starters short and multiple relievers short. Thor has great stuff and is lights out with no one on base. But once a guy reaches first his concentration is busted and he loses his control a bit. Love Thor, but I don't think he's ready to take the step into the DeGrom, Scherzer or even Strausberg territory yet. Matz and Wheeler are what they are... two guys with good stuff who will be completely inconsistent from game to game. I really hope Wheeler can regain his form from last year. Vargas is just filler...

The pen is a disaster... Gsellman was just okay last year and seems to have gotten worse. Lugo is in a funk right now... I hope he can break out of it. Familia has great stuff but seems to missing the elite control he had in the run to the World Series. He makes too many mistakes for my liking. Diaz seems solid, although not as dominant as last year. The rest of the dudes in the pen are just cannon fodder at this point.

I'm curious to see how proactive Brodie will be with fixing the pen vs waiting until the team is in 3rd place and in a hole. My hope is to either get some relievers and push Gsellman or Lugo into the rotation and get Vargas into the long relief rotation. Or, will never happen, but sign Keuchel and more Vargas into the long rotation.

They have been a starter short for a while; Vargas just isn't a viable starting option and the depth behind that is non-existent.

Isn't that the recipe for baseball these days? Get the starter out and go after the bullpen?
of course, but the washington pen is especially bad and that skews the already small sample size of the season to date

as to the rest: i don't know what pitching help is out there right now. even when the trade market heats up, a lot of teams have bullpen issues so there will be many gms chasing very few viable arms

of course, but the washington pen is especially bad and that skews the already small sample size of the season to date

as to the rest: i don't know what pitching help is out there right now. even when the trade market heats up, a lot of teams have bullpen issues so there will be many gms chasing very few viable arms

Well there's a pretty good reliever out there on the FA market i think

Pitching is terrible if deGrom isn't going to be a Cy Young.

Team is going to be bad for a long time.

Pitching is terrible if deGrom isn't going to be a Cy Young.

Team is going to be bad for a long time.
They will be bad until the Wilpons sell the team... it's embarrassing that this NYC-market team does not have a single elite player outside of DeGrom. Right now they are a very low floor team with a 85 to 90 win ceiling. I think there is some talent on the team, but not enough to compete if the pitching isn't elite.

I'm mad they traded our #1 pick this year. Was it for Diaz or Cano? Because Cano has been and will continue to be terrible and a massive waste of money. Diaz has been solid but having an expensive closer is dumb for a bad team.

the rest of the month will tell us for sure what we have. 16 games against the phillies, braves, brewers & cardinals.

I'm mad they traded our #1 pick this year. Was it for Diaz or Cano? Because Cano has been and will continue to be terrible and a massive waste of money. Diaz has been solid but having an expensive closer is dumb for a bad team.
The guy who has saved 4 out of 6 wins for the Mets is a waste? Anyone know why last night doesn't count as a save? I guess because he came in with a 4 run lead (non-save) and gave up a dinger to turn it into a save? I would argue that if it wasn't for Diaz this team would have one win because no other reliever on the roster can get this team a save. Also keep in mind that the Mets got significant salary relief out of the trade when they dumped Swarzik and Bruce.

It's too early to say that this team is bad... the young hitters have been raking and if Cano rounds into form (he hit .300 last year) the offense is scary good. The major concerns on this team is the pitching and zero catching depth... if Ramos goes down catcher is a black hole.

To close of my rambling post... the trade for Diaz is looking better and better for THIS year. We'll see what the next 3 weeks bring, but if the Mets can survive this next stretch with a record above .500 we are in for a fun summer.

Looking forward to the series starting tonight. My Braves totally laid an egg vs the Phillies to start the year but got it turned around well. Interested to see how we stand up against another division opponent.

The bullpen is the Achilles heel for the entire NL East. Whichever group finds their form is going to win this division.

The major concerns on this team is the pitching and zero catching depth... if Ramos goes down catcher is a black hole.
they have rene rivera waiting in reserve in syracuse

rosario having himself a night . . . but holy crap, alonso is really something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom