Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

I'm liking Alonso...wish he'd lay off of high fastballs.

It’s too bad Díaz has to pitch again. His arm is going to fall off.

Solid win... I feel like that Braves are going to tee of on Wheeler tomorrow. They Mets got some really good calls today and that Braves are pissed. Wheeler will get their best shot.

solid start from wheeler. now let's see if the pen can hold it

Could someone remind me of why Jason Vargas is on this team? His starts are a good night to watch a movie.

Last edited:
Alonso is so good. Sure glad they broke camp with their best 25
Yep... he has made life a lot easier. They need to find a spot for Smith the way he is hitting. Wonder if Smith can play 2nd and rest Cano
Could someone remind me of why Jason Vargas is on this team? His starts are a good night to watch on a movie.
He needs to DFA’d by eod or at least demoted to long relief when the Mets are down big. Can’t run him out there every 5th start if they hope to compete given how bad he is.

Sign Keuchel tomorrow please.

Man this Mets team is so fun to watch on offense. Just relentless with length and amazing situational hitting. So refreshing after so many years of Kevin Long and launch angles and homerun ball.

End of 2 after 90 minutes. We're going to be here awhile tonight.

Yep... he has made life a lot easier. They need to find a spot for Smith the way he is hitting. Wonder if Smith can play 2nd and rest Cano

He needs to DFA’d by eod or at least demoted to long relief when the Mets are down big. Can’t run him out there every 5th start if they hope to compete given how bad he is.

Sign Keuchel tomorrow please.

Please don't assign him to Syracuse!

Please don't assign him to Syracuse!
Doubt they can? He would have to have options which most veterans don’t. I think only way he ends up in Syracuse is if Mets DFA him, no one claims him and he re-signs with Mets on a minor league contract.

Tonight was another game where if the Mets had more pitching depth they probably would have won.

The Mets have scored at least 5 runs in every game but two and at least six runs in all but three of 14 games. Imagine that output with the pitching we were getting in recent years? unfortunately, this year they aren't getting the pitching. They've given up at least 5 runs eight times. DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler and Vargas among the starters and Oswaldt, Lugo and Familia among the relievers all have worse ERAs than last year. Gselman's has actually improved from 4.28 to 4.00. Matz has significantly improved from 3.97 to 1.65. Diaz has gone down from 1.96 to 1.59 but he's thrown a lot of pitches.

But It's still very early. Once this machine gets really cranked up, we could still be a steamroller.

The Mets have scored at least 5 runs in every game but two and at least six runs in all but three of 14 games. Imagine that output with the pitching we were getting in recent years? unfortunately, this year they aren't getting the pitching. They've given up at least 5 runs eight times. DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler and Vargas among the starters and Oswaldt, Lugo and Familia among the relievers all have worse ERAs than last year. Gselman's has actually improved from 4.28 to 4.00. Matz has significantly improved from 3.97 to 1.65. Diaz has gone down from 1.96 to 1.59 but he's thrown a lot of pitches.

But It's still very early. Once this machine gets really cranked up, we could still be a steamroller.

I’m not concerned about our starters. Matz looks like he’s taking a big step forward this year. Thor is like a #2 with the ceiling of a #1. Wheeler is a #3 with a potential of a #2.

They cannot move Lugo to the rotation. Robbing Peter to pay Paul will not work here. Keuchel is an option but he wouldn’t pay off until May/June. It’s going to take him a while to get his arm ready.

They need to cut vargas and replace him with literally anyone else.

Last edited:
Doubt they can? He would have to have options which most veterans don’t. I think only way he ends up in Syracuse is if Mets DFA him, no one claims him and he re-signs with Mets on a minor league contract.

Tonight was another game where if the Mets had more pitching depth they probably would have won.

We got Oswaldt instead. Whoopty-doo.

Vargas' spot in Mets' rotation safe for now

I don't know how to photoshop but what would Vargas look like "on a roll"?

So I've been working on a take here, not sure it's fully formed, but here it is: Jason Vargas sucks

Vargas was inexplicably dynamite here in KC the first half of 2017 when he first came back from Tommy John. Then the rest of baseball figured out how to hit 85 mph pitches and has been doing it ever since.

Lenny Dykstra continues to show the world that he is one of the biggest jerks in the history of MLB.

Which is quite an accomplishment. But I wouldn't blame Lenny for the mass on Ron's chest.

We got Oswaldt instead. Whoopty-doo.

Vargas' spot in Mets' rotation safe for now

I don't know how to photoshop but what would Vargas look like "on a roll"?
A dumpster fire? Seriously I think a dumpster fire would be better than what he is doing now. I hope Brodie is giving company speak when it comes to Vargas. His crap starts are going to have a knock on effect for two or three games after because he is going or fry the bullpen and I would hate to start before him because you don’t want to be the guy to start a losing streak.

A dumpster fire? Seriously I think a dumpster fire would be better than what he is doing now. I hope Brodie is giving company speak when it comes to Vargas. His crap starts are going to have a knock on effect for two or three games after because he is going or fry the bullpen and I would hate to start before him because you don’t want to be the guy to start a losing streak.

Vargas is already kinds of a stopper, making sure we can't have winning streaks.

What the hell is wrong with Familia... the guy can't throw the ball in the ocean.

Huge mistake by the Mets to re-sign him... right now he seems mentally shot.

Make it the entire Mets bullpen... Gsellman comes in and walks home the tying run. These guys are brutal.

While we are talking about players who should not be in a MLB roster... why in god's name is D'Arnaud still on this team? He makes pitchers worse and can't hit worth .

Last edited:
Excellent point: If d'Arnaud is your last bench player, why pinch hit him and ask him to bunt when you could send up a starting pitcher who is more used to bunting and save the pinch-hitter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom