Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

He has a chance to go down as THE greatest Mets pitcher of all time, which is high praise considering Tom Seaver was a legend.

Jake is really building a strong foundation for a HOF bid. Yes he’s older, but he’s a converted shortstop with significantly less miles on his arm than many of his peers. I also think he’s positioned well to get success as a finesse pitcher once his power velocity goes, a la Greg Maddux.

We as Mets fans are so lucky to have this guy. What he’s doing is just incredible.

a HOF career is really tough I think. I know wins don't carry the weight they once did, but it can be used as a proxy for career length as well. Another CY would be interesting, because all of the 3 time winners are either in or going to make it (Kershaw and Max) but I feel like he would need to win at least another 100 games or so (like I said, use that as a proxy for 6 or 7 more elite years if you want) and that's gonna be tough. But, the guy is unbelievable so I'm not going to say he can't do it

a HOF career is really tough I think. I know wins don't carry the weight they once did, but it can be used as a proxy for career length as well. Another CY would be interesting, because all of the 3 time winners are either in or going to make it (Kershaw and Max) but I feel like he would need to win at least another 100 games or so (like I said, use that as a proxy for 6 or 7 more elite years if you want) and that's gonna be tough. But, the guy is unbelievable so I'm not going to say he can't do it
With his easy power and pinpoint control and the fact that he has less wear on his arm I can see 5 more years of elite performance.

If the Mets trade for Marte, I will freak out. He is a left fielder who is 31. He never was and never will be a true center fielder. His performance is about to collapse; he is at the end of his prime. It is the worst possible time to trade for him and he does not address our needs. We have plenty of corner outfielders

Please do not do this. Please do not wreck my team any further, The infamous trade last season was damaging enough.

If the Mets trade for Marte, I will freak out. He is a left fielder who is 31. He never was and never will be a true center fielder. His performance is about to collapse; he is at the end of his prime. It is the worst possible time to trade for him and he does not address our needs. We have plenty of corner outfielders

Please do not do this. Please do not wreck my team any further, The infamous trade last season was damaging enough.

My impression was he's been at least an avergeish. It looks like he may have been down this year, which considering his age, isn't a great sign. He is a good player overall, but I am definitely a lot less interested if he's not a legit CF

Braves signed Travis d'Arnaud. Is he good enough to platoon with Tyler Flowers? What should I expect?

19282046-FE05-476A-9704-3851F7CFC53B.jpeg

Not sure it's a sale per se. From MLB.com:

Mets statement on ownership negotiations
The Sterling Partners and Steve Cohen are negotiating an agreement in which Steve Cohen would increase his investment in the New York Mets. As part of that agreement, Fred Wilpon will remain in the role of the Control Person and CEO for five years and Jeff Wilpon will remain in his role of Chief Operating Officer for the 5 year period as well.

Steve Cohen will continue as CEO and President of Point72 Asset Management and his stake in the Mets will continue to be managed by his family office, Cohen Private Ventures.

Wikipedia has already deleted it but this is what came up on my search engine when I typed in "Steve Cohen".

1575498792737.png

"Steven A. Cohen (born June 11, 1956) is an American billionaire, lord and savior of the New York Mets and the second coming of jesus christ hedge fund manager and philanthropist. "

Last edited:
It is a sale. The Wilpons are selling majority control to Cohen.

It is a sale. The Wilpons are selling majority control to Cohen.

Yep. Looks like he'll get about 80% ownership.

Seems like he's a shady character. The firm he founded, SAC Partners, pleaded guilty to insider trading charges, and paid $1.8 billion in fines, a record at the time. It was not the first time that Cohen had found himself entangled in insider trading charges.

BTW, here is how people of Cohen's ilk escape jaill:

When the Feds Went After a Hedge-Fund Legend

With ethics like these, he will fit in perfectly with the other owners of MLB teams.

Last edited:
Today is a great day to be a mets fan finally someone who wants to win and doesn't have to clip coupons out of the paper to sign a free agent.

Braves signed Travis d'Arnaud. Is he good enough to platoon with Tyler Flowers? What should I expect?
If hes the Travis that played for the Ray's you are getting Johnny bench if you get the Travis that us.met fans came to know haha good luck.

Yep. Looks like he'll get about 80% ownership.

Seems like he's a shady character. The firm he founded, SAC Partners, pleaded guilty to insider trading charges, and paid $1.8 billion in fines, a record at the time. It was not the first time that Cohen had found himself entangled in insider trading charges.

BTW, here is how people of Cohen's ilk escape jaill:

When the Feds Went After a Hedge-Fund Legend

With ethics like these, he will fit in perfectly with the other owners of MLB teams.

I remember this article, he seems like a perfectly awful guy. But maybe he's better at things in general than Jeff Wilpon.

I remember this article, he seems like a perfectly awful guy. But maybe he's better at things in general than Jeff Wilpon.

Steinbrenner was a shady character when he bought the Yankees. They've won 7 World Series since.

Oh, this guy is a gigantic piece of you know what. 100%. But if he successfully makes the Mets the class of MLB and buys a few World Series titles in the process, I’m willing to look the other way.

Oh, this guy is a gigantic piece of you know what. 100%. But if he successfully makes the Mets the class of MLB and buys a few World Series titles in the process, I’m willing to look the other way.
I don't want to become the yankees and just buy everyone. But it will be nice to stop pinching pennies to get the free agents we need.

On the Axeman show, he interviews a guy who works on the stock market each week and the guy told him that the character Damian Lewis plays on "Billions". I haven't been watching that show. is that a good thing?

Good signing. I wish they had gone harder for Wheeler, but the team does look pretty solid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom