Michael Gbinije | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Michael Gbinije

I am not being a jerk with this post- i honestly don't know your reasoning because- but why would it be a mistake for Hood to guard Grant and Parker to guard Fair?

It comes down to quickness. CJ's had the most trouble this year against smaller, quicker guys - usually guards. Bigger guys can't usually stay with CJ and don't react as well to his short jumpers. Too slow or something. Grant's taller and got more length but is thinner and would have a harder time bodying Parker's slight advantage in bulk.

Duke will probably play freshman Matt Jones more than usual on Saturday to chase around Cooney and have Sulaimon on CJ Fair. both are very good defenders. My guess is Cooney will be guarded at different times by Tyler Thornton, Matt Jones and Rasheed Sulaimon and Ennis will be guarded by Quinn Cook, Thornton and Sulaimon at different times. Thornton, Jones and Sulaimon are all good defenders. Cook is getting better and is getting good at picking pockets but I expect Ennis to slightly win that match-up on Cook if it happens often.

Duke may put Parker at center on defense and then use Jefferson and Hood to defend Fair and Grant.

Parker is not a good defender. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but I wouldn't mind allowing Parker to put his long arms up against Christmas and force him to score. It's a gamble but it could potentially work, or go very wrong.

Duke will probably play freshman Matt Jones more than usual on Saturday to chase around Cooney and have Sulaimon on CJ Fair. both are very good defenders. My guess is Cooney will be guarded at different times by Tyler Thornton, Matt Jones and Rasheed Sulaimon and Ennis will be guarded by Quinn Cook, Thornton and Sulaimon at different times. Thornton, Jones and Sulaimon are all good defenders. Cook is getting better and is getting good at picking pockets but I expect Ennis to slightly win that match-up on Cook if it happens often.

Duke may put Parker at center on defense and then use Jefferson and Hood to defend Fair and Grant.

Sulaimon is exactly the kind of guy that bothers CJ.

How much zone has Duke been playing this year? In year's past I'd say that would be an effective defense against us, but this year is much different. Tyler Ennis has a way of ripping zones apart.

Sulaimon is exactly the kind of guy that bothers CJ.

How much zone has Duke been playing this year? In year's past I'd say that would be an effective defense against us, but this year is much different. Tyler Ennis has a way of ripping zones apart.

Duke won't run zone. If we do it won't be for longer than a possession or two. I went to the Duke-Arizona game at MSG and we ran it for a couple of plays and they scored off of it each time.

One other thought I had on Silent G. If Coach K goes with a 3 guard lineup that actually allows JB the opportunity to use G as a forward in the zone, improving our ball handling ability if Duke pressures us and also allowing one of our forwards the opportunity to get a few minutes rest or in the event of foul trouble.

Just a thought so don't unload on me if you disagree.

I haven't watched too much of the game tonight due to studies, but it seems clear that Duke can light it up from three and rebound on the offensive end. Our zone by nature gives up a higher number of offensive rebounds.

Do any of you think that Gbinije will see extended minutes due to his ability and length to guard the perimeter? His energy on the defensive end may also prove to be vital.

Thoughts?

I'm not saying he takes over by any means, just saying maybe he'll play an additional 10 or so minutes.
He probably won't see many more minutes, but I believe in the St. John's game we saw MG getting extended minutes in the second half due to his defense so I don't think it's right to totally disregard your point here.

imo the best time to put him so far in when we are playing great and the pressure is off him.
He has been in one of those roles where he plays as those around him play.

IMO Duke will presssure Ennis (Jump Press) and make MG and TC handle the ball more than they like, this Brings CJ out high(IMO where he is less effective) .They will throw Alley oops to the baseline and if that fails they move Parker to the foul line (Only problem is Parker can make the foul line jumper) If SU rebounds like it did against Pitt Game over. They have not seen Man to man Pressure like this. The way Duke has played the last 5 Games they are at least in the Final 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom