Michael Owens (44) question | Syracusefan.com

Michael Owens (44) question

Vshukla

Walk On
With all the recent discussion about #44, I was reminiscing about the guy who wore 44 during my SU tenure, Michael Owens. I recall Owens splitting time with Robert Drummond until his Sr year where he was the primary ball carrier and rushed for over 1,000 yards. However, it looks like he didn’t play as a freshman. His official SU bio (Michael Owens) only lists 3 years and there is no mention of a freshman year redshirt/injury/academic issue.

Does anyone recall why Owens didn’t play as a freshman?

With all the recent discussion about #44, I was reminiscing about the guy who wore 44 during my SU tenure, Michael Owens. I recall Owens splitting time with Robert Drummond until his Sr year where he was the primary ball carrier and rushed for over 1,000 yards. However, it looks like he didn’t play as a freshman. His official SU bio (Michael Owens) only lists 3 years and there is no mention of a freshman year redshirt/injury/academic issue.

Grades.

I was there for for Michael Owens 44 years too. He grew into a very good back for us.

I know Owens was the more hyped guy and put up really good numbers at SU, but look at Drummond's numbers from when they split time. Good golly he had a nice career at SU.

*Disclaimer- I played football and graduated with Rob From Jamesville-DeWitt.

*Disclaimer #2- I've never used the phrase "good golly" before. I hope I never do again.

Academically ineligible under old controversial NCAA rule.

Ah yes, Prop 48. If I remember correctly, Earl Duncan lost a year of basketball to Prop 48 as well.
Even though Owens didn't get as many carries his first 2 years due to Drummond (who as mentioned was a pretty darn good back who played in the NFL and CFL), he put up pretty good numbers including kickoff returns.
Even if he never had another carry Owens earned his 44 with arguably the greatest play in the last 40 years.

Michael also had an arrest or two after his SU days If I recall.

My lasting memory of him was taking the the two point conversion in against WVU to preserve the undefeated season in 1987.
I was ON the field that day. What a day that was. Unforgettable.

I know Owens was the more hyped guy and put up really good numbers at SU, but look at Drummond's numbers from when they split time. Good golly he had a nice career at SU.

*Disclaimer #2- I've never used the phrase "good golly" before. I hope I never do again.
Well gee willikers! Thats a nice yards per carry by Drummond in 87.

From Sports-Reference.com
1635970443476.png

Gee Willikers, I hope you don’t either ;)

Well gee willikers! Thats a nice yards per carry by Drummond in 87.

From Sports-Reference.com
View attachment 210111
In 1987 Drummond had 124 carries for 828 yards (6.7 yards per carry) and 6 touchdowns.
Owens had 88 carries for 531 yards (6.0 yards per carry) and 4 touchdowns.
That adds up to 212 carries for 1359 yards (6.4 yards per carry) and 10 touchdowns.
Plus, Daryl Johnston had 116 carries for 614 yards (5.3).
That means we had 3 guys rush for over 500 yards and all three averaged over 5 yards per carry!

In 1987 Drummond had 124 carries for 828 yards (6.7 yards per carry) and 6 touchdowns.
That adds up to 212 carries for 1359 yards (6.4 yards per carry) and 10 touchdowns.
That means we had 3 guys rush for over 500 yards and all three averaged over 5 yards per carry!
So those 3 guys all add up to 1 Sean Tucker basically :)

I got thinking about Rob reading this thread and came across this video. I was only a freshman on Edinger drive at the time but I totally forgot about him being arrested outside Harry’s in 1989. Some great mullets in the video too!

What did Don McPherson rush for?

I know the offensive system was a factor but I loved when we could have fullbacks like Moose and Konrad average 5+ yards a carry. That's pretty awesome.

Rob Konrad from Sports-Reference.com

1636032218113.png

I agree. He was a very good back who gets overlook nearly every time in the "44" discussion. That was our undefeated season. Michael Owens deserves his recognition. He was probably the best 44 between the Ancient Titans and Rob Konrad in the 90s.

Michael also had an arrest or two after his SU days If I recall.

My lasting memory of him was taking the the two point conversion in against WVU to preserve the undefeated season in 1987.
That was the first football game I ever attended. We sat unbeknownst behind Don McPherson’s parents. He came up in the stands to hug them after the game.

Acceptable if followed by "Miss Molly".

I got thinking about Rob reading this thread and came across this video. I was only a freshman on Edinger drive at the time but I totally forgot about him being arrested outside Harry’s in 1989. Some great mullets in the video too!
Random thought- Wow how young Keith Kobland was in this. He left broadcasting probably 10 years ago and works for SU last I heard.