Michigan reminds me of Duke teams of the past | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Michigan reminds me of Duke teams of the past

i was rooting for ohio state, if we get on a nice roll we could be back in the 1 seed discussion and michigan is on the 1 line right now.

Love the junk defenses he throws out there. Saw some 1-3-1 last night, but plenty of man too. His big men threw some nice passes out of the motion offense, but they nearly lost after making all those 3's, so that is their achilles. Was not real impressed with Burke last night. He was maybe the 3rd best player out there.

Really? Burke was great last night I thought. Craft is tough to deal with. 16/8 and only two turnovers. How many turnovers would MCW have?

The 3 ball is college hoops nowadays. Teams are shooting 25% more 3's now than they did 15 years ago.

With no more post players, true centers and how close the line is, I can see why Rick Pitino says.."Why take a shot that counts for 2 when you can take one that counts for 3?"

Really? Burke was great last night I thought. Craft is tough to deal with. 16/8 and only two turnovers. How many turnovers would MCW have?
He is better than MCW right now, no question about that, but all I hear is that he is a Wooden award finalist. He had a good floor game, but didn't stand out to me as a transcendent, national POY favorite. Some of his assists were to the wings who were making tough shots. Hardaway won that game for them, and Thomas is better than either of them.

He is better than MCW right now, no question about that, but all I hear is that he is a Wooden award finalist. He had a good floor game, but didn't stand out to me as a transcendent, national POY favorite. Some of his assists were to the wings who were making tough shots. Hardaway won that game for them, and Thomas is better than either of them.

I agree. Thomas is a pure scorer and maybe the most dangerous offensive player in the country. Burke did have a very good floor game but I don't think he is a POY guy. Hardaway definitely won that game.

I agree. Thomas is a pure scorer and maybe the most dangerous offensive player in the country. Burke did have a very good floor game but I don't think he is a POY guy. Hardaway definitely won that game.
LQR was the other really impressive player last night. He is one explosive slasher, shot 7 of 10 with some tough shots coming in the paint and he had 5 offensive rebounds. They have the tools to be a real threat in the tournament.

LQR was the other really impressive player last night. He is one explosive slasher, shot 7 of 10 with some tough shots coming in the paint and he had 5 offensive rebounds. They have the tools to be a real threat in the tournament.

Yeah, he is improving. They have good players. Thompson, Lenzelle Smith, and their inside guys do just enough. Even Amir Williams gave us problems last year. I am probably in the minority but I want no part of them, IU, and obviously Michigan.

Yeah, he is improving. They have good players. Thompson, Lenzelle Smith, and their inside guys do just enough. Even Amir Williams gave us problems last year. I am probably in the minority but I want no part of them, IU, and obviously Michigan.

Ohio State is going to be a tough out for sure. I will make a prediction that they go farther in the NCAA's than Michigan does.

Ohio State is going to be a tough out for sure. I will make a prediction that they go farther in the NCAA's than Michigan does.

Yeah man. Wouldn't surprise me either. Their overall defense is better than Michigan imo. LQR improving will really help them offensively.

Yeah man. Wouldn't surprise me either. Their overall defense is better than Michigan imo. LQR improving will really help them offensively.

I just dont trust a team that relies so heavily on the three point shot. I mean what if they get Kentucky or UNC in the 8/9 game and go cold?

I just dont trust a team that relies so heavily on the three point shot. I mean what if they get Kentucky or UNC in the 8/9 game and go cold?

Yep. Thoughts on the U? I've liked Durand Scott, Kadji, and some of their guys for awhile now. Larranaga is terrific and they probably shoot too many threes also, but, they are a tough out as well, imo.

Yep. Thoughts on the U? I've liked Durand Scott, Kadji, and some of their guys for awhile now. Larranaga is terrific and they probably shoot too many threes also, but, they are a tough out as well, imo.

The U is for real. I think they will be on the 2-3 seed line. Shoot it well, tough inside, rebound well and they have swagger. They have a return trip to Cameron on March 2nd. I cant wait to see how they come out and respond in that game.

Miami may shoot too many threes but they at least have options to go inside. They don't need to rely on 3's. Plus The one kid is an inside outside threat that gives m2m teams all sorts of problems and opens things up for everyone else.

If you live in Ohio there is!

87_49.jpg

with james i think we're as good as anyone, and better than kansas, not sold on them.

On the opposite side of the fence- I don't think opposing teams are sold on us either. I know what you're response will be; it will be be along the lines of "well screm 'em".

Just saying, we haven't really scared too many teams IMO, even with James.

Fine with me though. Really hope we get James back or this season takes a big hit. I think anyone in the top 15 could make a run at the championship this season.

On the opposite side of the fence- I don't think opposing teams are sold on us either. I know what you're response will be; it will be be along the lines of "well screm 'em".

Just saying, we haven't really scared too many teams IMO, even with James.

Fine with me though. Really hope we get James back or this season takes a big hit. I think anyone in the top 15 could make a run at the championship this season.

i hear ya but we have beaten 3 ranked teams without james, including the #1 team at the time on the road. thats more ranked teams we've beaten without james than kansas has beaten the whole year.

i hear ya but we have beaten 3 ranked teams without james, including the #1 team at the time on the road. thats more ranked teams we've beaten without james than kansas has beaten the whole year.
Hell we beat 3 ranked teams in a 16 day span. That's more than most teams do all year.

Interesting that ND was ranked, since Pomeroy has them 53, which I think is probably close to where they are. I said before the game ND didn't scare me that much,a nd nothing I saw from them changes that. They're an ok team.

Pomeroy has us 7, Kansas 8, so not much of a difference. With Southerland, the two teams are probably a coinflip.

Vs. Top 25:

SU 4-0
Kansas 2-1

While your statement is (technically) true, you can only have as many Top 25 wins as Top 25 teams played.

Not to mention, Kansas has beaten two top 15 teams on the road, SU has beaten two borderline top 25 teams at home. It's easy to selectively choose data based on your rooting interest.

I think Kansas is one of the best 5 teams in the country.

Kansas has, for whatever its worth, played a bunch of teams between 25-30 on Pomeroy. Belmton (29!), Baylor (28), Iowa st (27). OK State is 19 now, believe it or not.

Think you guys are making a little too many assumptions based on 1 game/past Beilein's teams. Michigan's 74th in the country in 3Ps attempted per game. They're nowhere near as reliant on the 3ball as past JB teams. Typically Trey gets into the lane and distributes much easier than last night but Craft just has his number.

Would say that ties into the false assessment that Burke isn't that good as well (know that wasn't you making that call). Last night was probably one of the worst games he's had all year and he still had 16 and 8 on 50% shooting with 2 TOs against by the far the best on-ball defender in college bball.

I'll gladly take that bet on Mich vs. OSU advancing farther in the tourney. Last night was the exception with LQR and Amir Williams both playing well but that team is still a one man band (offensively) with D. Thomas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom