Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hop left. Wildhack did not force him out or abandon the plan.

While this might be true in a technical sense, once JB began complaining that he was being railroaded by the NCAA (which he was ...), well, Mike knew he had to leave because Jim wouldn't go without being forced to go.
Mike didn't want to be that guy, but nobody else wanted to force Boeheim out either, and so nobody had the nerve to do so.

And here we are.

Last edited:
So why didn't he leave the first time, when the Chancellor provided the 3 year timeline, if he cares more about the university than his "right" to coach his own kid (who he is not doing such a great job with this year, BTW, with the way he is overplaying him because he doesn't believe in the other guys)?
Because maybe Hopkins wanted to go west, given his dad's health.

I know this goes against the conventional board narrative, but maybe he didn't leave disgruntled due to the fact thatBoeheim wouldn't retire, and actually branched out on his own and went to the West coast to deal with short-term family issues and gain some coaching experience, and didn't leave out of frustration.

(((Mind blown)))

He is not leaving here for Syracuse...

Somebody said something recently about all these retirement aged coaching legends in the ACC, and that those are probably going to be hot jobs, even to these guys who we think "would never leave" their current sitaution. (I think it was Jake.) I think that's a good call.

Because maybe Hopkins wanted to go west, given his dad's health.

I know this goes against the conventional board narrative, but maybe he didn't leave disgruntled due to the fact thatBoeheim wouldn't retire, and actually branched out on his own and went to the West coast to deal with short-term family issues and gain some coaching experience, and didn't leave out of frustration.

(((Mind blown)))

You're forgetting Boeheim complained a LOT [edit] to area boosters groups [edit] about how unhappy he was with being forced out by the NCAA. Mike gave up when he saw that.

Mike had checked out his whole last year here. That didn't come from nowhere, if he was really, truly going to get the job the very next season.

You're on fantasy island with your "Jim loves the university too much" shtick.

Last edited:
You're forgetting Boeheim complainly a LOT to area booster groups about how unhappy he was with being forced out by the NCAA. Mike gave up when he saw that.

Mike had checked out his whole last year here. That didn't come from nowhere, if he was really, truly going to get the job the very next season.

You're on fantasy island with your "Jim loves the university too much" shtick.
Patently false.

But I appreciate the fictional sensationalism. You ought to consider changing your handle to "IthacaMatlock" with such courtroom theatrics.

I have zero interest in convincing you, so let's just chalk this up to you can lead a horse to water...

Good to see people are confident the successor will breathe fresh air into the program and right the ship. I'm not so confident it doesn't go farther south before it gets better.

Stay snug rats! The ship isn’t sinking. The face of basketball is changing rapidly. You don’t have to be young or hip or charming to adapt. I am so sick of the freaking man crush so many of you ooze for Hopkins and the perilous adventure we would have embarked on with him. Bodody can predict fortunes in life or college basketball. Look at all the cupcakes eating the majors this year. We became accustomed to a coach who overachieved on a national level with underwhelming recruits. He did so so regularly we became accustomed to it. The body isn’t cold yet. Boeheim has earned our enduring respect and loyalty. So we experience the seesaw, which all but a precious few programs live on! Maybe we get back to where we were. Maybe we don’t. In my book Boeheim leaves on his own terms. In my book I have no expectations of what his terms should be. The man has given me more entertainment and joy as a Syracuse fan than I could have hoped for or expected

If it was a seesaw, nobody would disagree with you. But it ain't a seesaw.
It's Pasqualoni Part 2. Should we stop the sequel before it gets too late?
What, literaly, is the bottom line?
This team might not win 12 games this year.
We have pair of 4 star guys coming in next year, being a bit generous with Woody.
This team is not going to get a lot better next year, and then it's Buddy's senior year.

What if we win 10 games this year, and are looking at maybe 15 wins and the NIT next year?
Seriously, nobody is going to put on 40 pounds at center.
Nobody we have at guard is going to develop "Plus" athleticism.
It's not going to change very much next year, either. That's the scary part.

This last point has led me to see this as "The End".

I'm more sad than angry. I wanted Jim to go out better than this.

As Dasher said recently, that was 3 years ago when he had just made the Final Four. That should have been it.

Patently false.

But I appreciate the fictional sensationalism. You ought to consider changing your handle to "IthacaMatlock" with such courtroom theatrics.

I have zero interest in convincing you, so let's just chalk this up to you can lead a horse to water...

with all due respect, unless youre mike hopkins or jim boeheim, you really cant be sure and you are just providing your interpretation of what happened.

But he won't win a championship there and will always be second fiddle to Bama football. People on this board consistently undersell the advantages we can offer to a top coach.

Ok we have one championship, why can't he win one there? We're a Troy Weaver recruit away from 0.

Someone said Paulus and no one commented on it. I have been saying the same thing. We know he is ok with living in Syracuse. While he did a grad year here, it is not really the same. He has Duke playing experience which will be huge in the ACC and then asst. coaching gigs at Louisville and Ohio St. Now he is getting his head coaching wings. Checks off a lot of boxes in my opinion.

He was the Syracuse University Football MVP for 2009.

Pretty good.

He was the Syracuse University Football MVP for 2009.

Pretty good.

It's way too early in his coaching career to get our kind of job, even if he does great at Niagara for a couple years.

It's way too early in his coaching career to get our kind of job, even if he does great at Niagara for a couple years.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I don't know anything about Greg Paulus in terms of his approach to coaching - his style, his mantra, his demeanor.

I do know, however, that he has worked for two pretty strong college programs - Ohio State, Louisville.
And has also worked for Navy and George Washington, both of which require the athletes to go to class. .

Plus he played for perhaps the second greatest coach in college basketball history for four years at Duke.

So, he probably knows the game pretty well; probably knows how to administer a program pretty well and is certainly very competitive.

Who knows what the future might hold?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I don't know anything about Greg Paulus in terms of his approach to coaching - his style, his mantra, his demeanor.

I do know, however, that he has worked for two pretty strong college programs - Ohio State, Louisville.
And has also worked for Navy and George Washington, both of which require the athletes to go to class. .

Plus he played for perhaps the second greatest coach in college basketball history for four years at Duke.

So, he probably knows the game pretty well; probably knows how to administer a program pretty well and is certainly very competitive.

Who knows what the future might hold?

Let's just put it this way - Tommy Amaker, Jeff Capel, Johnny Dawkins - eh, not such a great bunch, although Mike Brey and Bobby Hurley have done OK for themselves, among his former assistants.

Greg Paulus may turn out to be a terrific coach in time, but he's only got about 2 months more head coaching experience than Gerry McNamara or Red Autry.

I think we can get more of a "sure thing". This hire is too important to hand it to a rookie, or "2nd job" head coach. Dino had been around the block a couple times before.
That's the kind of hire I expect us to get - somebody who has coached at at least 2 Division 1 schools and done well at both.

Let's just put it this way - Tommy Amaker, Jeff Capel, Johnny Dawkins - eh, not such a great bunch, although Mike Brey and Bobby Hurley have done OK for themselves, among his former assistants.

Greg Paulus may turn out to be a terrific coach in time, but he's only got about 2 months more head coaching experience than Gerry McNamara or Red Autry.

I think we can get more of a "sure thing". This hire is too important to hand it to a rookie, or "2nd job" head coach. Dino had been around the block a couple times before.
That's the kind of hire I expect us to get - somebody who has coached at at least 2 Division 1 schools and done well at both.

Paulus has two months more HC experience than Jim Boeheim had when he Boeheim replaced Roy Danforth in 1976.

I am not calling for Greg to follow JB.

I think a full, national search worthy of the job should be undertaken.

Let the best candidate get the job.

If it was a seesaw, nobody would disagree with you. But it ain't a seesaw.
It's Pasqualoni Part 2. Should we stop the sequel before it gets too late?
What, literaly, is the bottom line?
This team might not win 12 games this year.
We have pair of 4 star guys coming in next year, being a bit generous with Woody.
This team is not going to get a lot better next year, and then it's Buddy's senior year.

What if we win 10 games this year, and are looking at maybe 15 wins and the NIT next year?
Seriously, nobody is going to put on 40 pounds at center.
Nobody we have at guard is going to develop "Plus" athleticism.
It's not going to change very much next year, either. That's the scary part.

This last point has led me to see this as "The End".

I'm more sad than angry. I wanted Jim to go out better than this.

As Dasher said recently, that was 3 years ago when he had just made the Final Four. That should have been it.

Wait.

You're comparing the SU FB situation in 2004 to the present status of the SU BB Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom