Mick Cronin to UCLA | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin to UCLA

heard him do a radio interview today. not a very good interview, mostly a lot of name-checking and platitudes.

one interesting bit was when one of the hosts asked him if he could recruit five star players rather than the 3 and 4 star tough guys he got at cincinnati. mick answered, correctly imho, that "what the experts consider a 5 star player and what i consider a 5 star player are not always the same. the same goes for 3 star players" (paraphrased)

what prompted the question is that many out here think he has to get 5 star swingman cassius stanley out of sierra canyon in order to prove himself to the fan base.

Cronin might be joined by an old friend of ours.

D1A93028-10DE-4A04-9106-8BBBA0BDA2DC.png

the hire is fine but honestly I doubt he does any better than Alford
I like guy like Alford. No scandal.
Maybe once he'll catch lightning...

heard him do a radio interview today. not a very good interview, mostly a lot of name-checking and platitudes.

one interesting bit was when one of the hosts asked him if he could recruit five star players rather than the 3 and 4 star tough guys he got at cincinnati. mick answered, correctly imho, that "what the experts consider a 5 star player and what i consider a 5 star player are not always the same. the same goes for 3 star players" (paraphrased)

what prompted the question is that many out here think he has to get 5 star swingman cassius stanley out of sierra canyon in order to prove himself to the fan base.
stanley committed to duke yesterday.
cronin is already on the hot seat.
just kidding
not really
kind of

No change we will be able to pry Beard away from TTU after the contract they gave him today making him #3 behind Cal and K.

Other candidates, Rebholz wrote, mentioning three names specifically, “came back blemished but acceptable … so we weren’t overly conservative, but we ensured UCLA was getting a good human being that did it the right way.” Rebholz did not specify what the blemishes might have entailed.

The Bruins’ list of candidates was further winnowed, Rebholz wrote, when other coaches such as Washington’s Mike Hopkins, Purdue’s Matt Painter and Iowa State’s Steve Prohm declined to be interviewed “regardless of our ability to pay more than we ever have, a commitment to charter as a team, and increase to assistant salary pool, etc. Very disheartening to not even have a chance with ‘Tier II’ guys.”

Hopkins turned down UCLA

So Hopkins, Painter, and Prohm are "Tier II" guys. One more indication that UCLA still lives in Fantasyland.

I don’t think hop will talk about it, but I do feel he might circle this game. Our student section will run with it for sure

There are three good reasons why Cronin was a good hire -- he wanted the job, he wants to be in California and he'll bring in much tougher physical players. Hiring a coach that wants the job usually turns out better than trying to talk someone into taking it. No one wanted our football HC job but look at what's happened with the guy who actually wanted it.

behind the likes of calipari & jay wright? absolutely. that is not a slight
My point was that UCLA thought that they were a legitimate landing place for the "Tier I" guys, when they couldn't even get a sniff from their next group.

My point was that UCLA thought that they were a legitimate landing place for the "Tier I" guys, when they couldn't even get a sniff from their next group.

I believe the Tier 2 group included Dixon, Cronin, Barnes, etc..., as well as the 3 who declined to be interviewed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom