Midseason thoughts position-by-position | Syracusefan.com

Midseason thoughts position-by-position

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Going to focus on the guys who are currently playing:
Playcalling-Haven't been thrilled much of the year, too many low-percentage shots down the field and runs up the middle. However, I felt last week we finally had a good balance of short, intermediate, and long throws. Would like to see more deception, as we saw on the Hackett TD against Liberty and the long reverse from Nykeim last weekend.
QB-I've come around on Culpepper starting if he truly gives the team the best chance to win-you don't want to lose the team if they think you're waving the white flag. However, I really hope they give some reps to at least one of Morgan or Markiewicz (preferably both) and let them get their feet wet and see how they respond.
OL- The OL looked the best it has all year last weekend. I feel like every year the running game starts off terribly and gradually picks up over the course of the year.
RB-Love that we've discovered Tucker, though he probably would have been wasted on the bench w/o the opt-outs and Jordan injury. I would love to see him and Jordan on the field together next year.
WR-Would like to see us spread the wealth more here. I don't think we have anyone dominant enough to dominate the touches and Queeley and Hendrix looked fairly good last week. Why recruit so many outside receivers if you're only going to play 2 every year? To quote Dickens w/ relation to Nykeim-It has been the best of times and worst of times. Too many drops, but when he holds on, he is truly explosive. I knew he wouldn't be caught on his TD last weekend. Would like him to stop catching punts on the 5-yard line.
TE-Like other years, severely underused. Think Benson could be a star if we'd use him that way-He's a matchup win for us against almost everyone with his size and speed. Hackett is very good, as well. Think the drop last weekend was the 1st of his career.
DL-Considering the experience there, have been very disappointed until last weekend. They seem invisible at times. McKinley had maybe the best game of his career last weekend. Need him to bring that every week. Feel Roscoe has been our most active DE. Need Black and Kingsley to get some pressure and make a few tackles.
LB-Hot and cold, but to be expected with their lack of experience. Mikel has been our best Defensive player from start to finish this year and is a true leader. Lots of other guys guys have made plays-whatever happened to Stefon Thompson? Seems to have disappeared after playing well the 1st week.
DB-Considering the injuries, have to be happy with this unit. Would obviously be better with a healthy Cisco and Trill, not to mention Coley.
I do get frustrated w/ the amount of tackles on Defense as a whole, as I feel much more often than not, the 1st guy misses the tackle.
ST-Cooney has been a revelation. Wonder if he returns. Smzyt has been fine, but with the feast and famine offense, haven't had many FG attempts.

Last edited:
This defense was so impressive in games 1 and 2, then went into hiding until game 6. I hope they're back for good!

The Tucker comment is one of the questions I always have when we struggle - who is sitting and not getting an opportunity? The players who opted out and Pierre and JJ have never demonstrated what Tucker has in his admittedly limited sample size. We aren't in a position to red shirt guys who can play especially in a free year, and sorry I don't buy the schemes as being too complex.

I dont how we really knew where Tucker would be 2-3 weeks into the season anyway.. Its not like we had a ton of practice and scrimmages to see how he was doing. We dont even really know if he was ready to go mentally or health wise. He did play week 3 and Jordan got hurt week 4 so he was getting some run.

Oline, new guys playing together with no real practices/scrimmages to get ready. not surprised its taking time to mesh. They are making less of the mistake plays now and more times the issues are just physically getting beat. Thats about all you can ask from this group. Just limit the blow ups.

WR when we dont run lots of plays and dont run them at pace the need to rotate goes down.. Harris is clearly the best and Queeley has separated as the #2. Johnson in the slot has shown the burst which is why you want him there, but you also want your slot guy to catch the ball cause those are the drive extender plays.. Would like to see more of Hendrix though if he can catch like it looks like he can. The others who knows.. Barron had 1 big drop (duke?), Jackson has dropped 2-3 . Sharrod hasnt done much in 3 yrs.. Still waiting on an Alford siting

Oline, new guys playing together with no real practices/scrimmages to get ready. not surprised its taking time to mesh. They are making less of the mistake plays now and more times the issues are just physically getting beat. Thats about all you can ask from this group. Just limit the blow ups.
But it's every year with the OL-It shouldn't be that way.

But it's every year with the OL-It shouldn't be that way.

No. It is the last 2 seasons with the OL.

Don’t recall anywhere near these sorta OL issues during the first 3 years of Dino’s tenure.

It’s almost as if having a bunch of OL be medically disqualified, injured, and a few just not pan out, has had a detrimental impact on our quality & quantity of OL depth these past 1.5 seasons.

No. It is the last 2 seasons with the OL.

Don’t recall anywhere near these sorta OL issues during the first 3 years of Dino’s tenure.

It’s almost as if having a bunch of OL be medically disqualified, injured, and a few just not pan out, has had a detrimental impact on our quality & quantity of OL depth these past 1.5 seasons.
You don't think the OL was a problem in Babers 1st 3 years?

You don't think the OL was a problem in Babers 1st 3 years?

Not remotely to this extent.

Our QB’s weren’t the most-sacked in all of P5.
Our RB’s generally had decent YPC #’s.
We threw for a lot of yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom