Might cut the cord | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

Are you able to watch all the SU games with that combo (fios + verizon fios TV)?

I never miss anything, but I also have the computer connected to every TV (Mac Mini's), so I can find any kind of streaming, too, and subscribe to most of them.

Reactions: 007
For the GigaByte fiber optic Internet from Verizon, I'm paying $70/month. I think that's a $20 discount off the list price.

All the extra TV stuff from Verizon (HBO, Showtime, highest tier) adds $130 to bring my monthly bill to $200.

Then I subscribe to the Disney bundle that includes all the Star Wars stuff, ESPN+, National Geographic and Hulu (w/ commercials). I think I pay around $15/month for this.

I also have Peacock (NBC & NBC Sports / Premier League), Paramount Plus and Smithsonian through some other bundle. Not sure if I pay for these, to be honest. Maybe $5-10/month.

Another bundle I have is HBO Max / Turner Classic Movies / Looney Toons / Adult Swim (Rick & Morty) and Studio Ghibli (Japan's version of Disney-type anime). I get these free with my cable subscription.

And then to wrap it up, I subscribe to Apple TV+, Amazon Prime (almost never use it; they used to have so many great documentaries, but now they are almost all "for pay").

We also have bookmarked Britain's National Theatre site, the Met Opera (NYC) site and the Globe Theatre in London. So, if there's a new play or show making the rounds, if it's online somewhere, we can buy it.

So, I can usually find anything that I could conceivably want to watch. I prefer infinite choices. LOL

I'm like that with my music collection, too. I have around 30,000 songs and have 5 computers in the house that share the playlist, and a few portable speakers around the house and also a stereo that are Bluetooth, so I can stream all of this stuff pretty much anywhere.

Quick question for all the YouTube tvers. The answer is probably already in this thread, but I'll just ask again.

Can I stop and start the 7 day free trial?

I got my Spectrum bill down to an amount I can live it, but I lose ESPNU, so I'm just curious if the free trial will get me through those games this season.

Quick question for all the YouTube tvers. The answer is probably already in this thread, but I'll just ask again.

I got my Spectrum bill down to an amount I can live it, but I lose ESPNU, so I'm just curious if the free trial will get me through those games this season.
You mean watch the free trial …. Stop the free trial on day 2? Then wait till the next game and turn on the trial for day 3? Etc ? If so.. you’re spending too much energy

You mean watch the free trial …. Stop the free trial on day 2? Then wait till the next game and turn on the trial for day 3? Etc ? If so.. you’re spending too much energy
If you're trying to do what STEVEHOLT described I don't think it'll work that way. I've paused YouTubeTV before, but the pause isn't immediate, it's a pause at the start of the next billing cycle until whenever you reactivate it.

Cut the cord about 4 years ago and went with YouTubeTV and loved it. Saved about $50 a month and really liked the interface and unlimited DVR. Then they raised prices by $20, added Viacom channels (MTV) and dropped YES followed with another rate hike. When baseball season started I moved to Hulu w/live TV. A few months later they did EXACTLY the same thing and their interface was much clunkier and less reliable than YouTube. I went crawling back to Spectrum and got an introductory offer that gave me TV and lowered my Internet bill. Rep in the store insisted I should have at least one box and needed that for DVR service but I had done my homework and insisted on using the app and cloud DVR service. Had some issues early with the app, and have had one or two brief outages in the last 18 months, but saves a good amount and no cables running up and down the walls. I use my Smart TV and a couple of Rokus.

Intro deal is now up. I am paying $175/mo for TV Silver package (including enhanced sports package, HBO Max and Showtime), cloud DVR and Internet. No YES would be a deal breaker for me, but ready to start exploring options again.

Cut the cord about 4 years ago and went with YouTubeTV and loved it. Saved about $50 a month and really liked the interface and unlimited DVR. Then they raised prices by $20, added Viacom channels (MTV) and dropped YES followed with another rate hike. When baseball season started I moved to Hulu w/live TV. A few months later they did EXACTLY the same thing and their interface was much clunkier and less reliable than YouTube. I went crawling back to Spectrum and got an introductory offer that gave me TV and lowered my Internet bill. Rep in the store insisted I should have at least one box and needed that for DVR service but I had done my homework and insisted on using the app and cloud DVR service. Had some issues early with the app, and have had one or two brief outages in the last 18 months, but saves a good amount and no cables running up and down the walls. I use my Smart TV and a couple of Rokus.

Intro deal is now up. I am paying $175/mo for TV Silver package (including enhanced sports package, HBO Max and Showtime), cloud DVR and Internet. No YES would be a deal breaker for me, but ready to start exploring options again.
Yeah, if you're Syracuse sports only, YouTubeTV has been great, especially since you can also watch the games that are only streaming via the ESPN app using your YouTubeTV credentials.

But if you're a Yankees fan it probably doesn't give you all the coverage you want since YES has been on and off as part of the package.

Last edited:

Few questions about the app and cloud DVR.

Are you able to rewind like you can with an actual DVR like if I want to watch a play in a game again?

Are you able to start watching a recording while it’s still recording?

You change channels through the guide when you watch through the app- correct? Do you find that clunky at all?

Few questions about the app and cloud DVR.

Are you able to rewind like you can with an actual DVR like if I want to watch a play in a game again?

Are you able to start watching a recording while it’s still recording?

You change channels through the guide when you watch through the app- correct? Do you find that clunky at all?
You can rewind and fast forward.
You can start while still recording, but it won't show time and time remaining at the bottom of the screen. It just shows the clock time. I can usually time the commercial breaks using that but a little bit of guess work with clock time.
You can change channels. There are filters you can use like "Recent Channels" or "Sports" to avoid scrolling through hundreds.
All and all, not bad. They improved the Samsung Smart TV app so it is much better than when I first used it. I ended up using a Roku because it buffered so much.
Sound and picture quality is excellent. Virtually no buffering issues any more - maybe once every couple of weeks for a few seconds and, with 4 TVs in the house, renting boxes would have cost me another $40+/month.
There is a slightly longer delay for some reason. I will get an alert on my phone from YES that tells me Judge hit a home run, can say to the wife, "Judge is going to crush this one" and come off as some kind of clairvoyant.

Switched to Directv Stream here. Only ones who could give me MSG and YES. Wanted these channels as when we play on Regional sports it’s usually MSG. Had it about a week and no issues.

I pay for YTTV for late-August through late-March so I can get Cuse football & basketball games. Then pause the membership for April-July. It saves me a bunch of $ and ensures that I get outside during the nicest weather of the year.
I did that last year but this year there was Better Call Saul, so... just kept it.

Cut the cord about 2 years ago… was so frustrated not necessarily by the cost, but that Spectrum kept freezing and having to reboot all the time.

They brought new boxes, they sent service techs, they upgraded the internet, the problem persisted.

We’ve not had the problem since, and I don’t think there’s a day that’s gone by that I’ve missed traditional cable. We get more choices, especially for sports. And it worked out to be close to half the price of what we were paying.

Spectrum reaches out every month, most recently with a pretty ridiculous deal. I have to imagine the past couple years has stung pretty good for them. I’m sorry baby, we broke up for a reason. I’m a stubborn man, and I ain’t coming back.

I have YTTV and the Yes app. My son has Spectrum so,I sign into the Yes app with his spectrum credentials to watch RSN games. It’s a beautiful thing

I have YTTV and the Yes app. My son has Spectrum so,I sign into the Yes app with his spectrum credentials to watch RSN games. It’s a beautiful thing
works fine until apps start to use ip addresses to verify as more and more apps are doing

works fine until apps start to use ip addresses to verify as more and more apps are doing
If you could only use the YES app with your home IP address doesn’t that make it useless? You could watch it on TV at your house then.

So right now I have the ACC network but my wife and I are considering cutting the cord because spectrum increased our bill by $60. If I keep my Internet and get ESPN plus for my iPad will I still be able to watch Syracuse basketball and football games? At least the ones that would regularly be shown on ESPN?
I have YouTube TV and ESPN plus. Beyond that, if SU makes it tough for me to watch, I will oblige and do something else.
They make it more and more difficult each year to be fan.

I got rid of YouTube TV due to the cost and I don’t really watch tv much. I have Netflix and Amazon prime and Disney plus for my 4 year old. I might pick tv back up for the fall football season but honestly I really don’t miss it. Don’t have much time to watch tv anyway

I pay for YTTV for late-August through late-March so I can get Cuse football & basketball games. Then pause the membership for April-July. It saves me a bunch of $ and ensures that I get outside during the nicest weather of the year.

I'll speak for myself, but living in the suburbs of Charlotte for just about 3 decades now, I find the nicest time of the year the fall, especially from mid September through early November. The summer months here are brutal IMO, consistently in the middle 90's and dew points typically hovering from the high 60's to mid 70's.

Spring is beautiful, however, not for folks with bad allergies. And, all that green pollen garb from the various trees (especially pines) is around from about mid March until about Memorial Day.

I'll speak for myself, but living in the suburbs of Charlotte for just about 3 decades now, I find the nicest time of the year the fall, especially from mid September through early November. The summer months here are brutal IMO, consistently in the middle 90's and dew points typically hovering from the high 60's to mid 70's.

Spring is beautiful, however, not for folks with bad allergies. And, all that green pollen garb from the various trees (especially pines) is around from about mid March until about Memorial Day.
I frequently visit Charlotte for Thanksgiving and always enjoy the weather - and always think how incredible it must be a bit earlier in fall like the time period you’re talking about.

Southern Summer swamp ass is the worst

I used to live in Charlotte (thus the handle) but live further north now. Yes, autumn in Charlotte is great. I won’t glorify the weather during football season for fear that folks might interpret it as advocating for raking leaves instead of watching the Orange. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom