Might cut the cord | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

Another one to look at is FUBO

YoutubeTV, Hulu and FUBO all good options

DirectTV is the Cadillac option too

All these from a Syracuse Fan perspective

I had Hulu live for a little while and honestly can’t remember….but I believe it was similar but just a little “clunkier” to use at that time.

Agreed on YouTubeTV, I’ve always thought it was great.
Hulu was clunky when I had for a month or two

I’ve had YouTube tv for the past 4 years. Haven’t looked back. It’s perfect. Only thing that I ever thought about going to is fubu tv for 2 reasons.

1- they have quad box on Apple TV box

2- they have MSG I believe.

What kept me from going and trying it is it doesn’t have the turner Channels (tbs, tnt, etc). No shot I would get that with March madness.

YouTube tv is also getting the Sunday package that I have been getting from my parents Sunday ticket over the past 15 years. I’m ecstatic about this development. Sunday ticket only used to let you stream on one device. Now that is going to expand for me

I've been with YouTube TV since it was available in the Albany, NY area. Highly recommend it.
Easy to us interface and the included DVR capability is unparalleled.
Only downside is they no longer carry YES network so games that YES network carries are sometimes blacked out, even on ESPN.com. Typcially you can watch the replay as soon as it's available on ESPN.com.

Let me just tell you guys about my March madness experience. Hulu has not worked for more than 2 minutes at a time of any game. Anyone else experiencing this ? I missed the last 6 mins of the Duke game and Twitter has been going off. I’m switching to YouTube. Unacceptable

Let me just tell you guys about my March madness experience. Hulu has not worked for more than 2 minutes at a time of any game. Anyone else experiencing this ? I missed the last 6 mins of the Duke game and Twitter has been going off. I’m switching to YouTube. Unacceptable

Damn. That’s infuriating. We cut the cord right before the tournament started. Got FuBoTV and one month of Sling to get us through March Madness (Fubo doesn’t get the Turner networks, but Sling does). We’ve had a great experience with both thus far.

The Multiview that YoutubeTV had for the NCCC tournament was pretty darn cool. 4 games on at once and you could select wich one you wanted audio for by moving the selection around. Clicking on a highlighted game brought it up full screen.
It stinks that YTTV is going up in price again, but in my opinion, its' still the best option, espcially with their channel lineup and unlimited DVR. I don't want anything live anymore (except for sports) - commercials are things that I fast forward through.

I’ve had YouTube tv for the past 4 years. Haven’t looked back. It’s perfect. Only thing that I ever thought about going to is fubu tv for 2 reasons.

1- they have quad box on Apple TV box

2- they have MSG I believe.

What kept me from going and trying it is it doesn’t have the turner Channels (tbs, tnt, etc). No shot I would get that with March madness.

YouTube tv is also getting the Sunday package that I have been getting from my parents Sunday ticket over the past 15 years. I’m ecstatic about this development. Sunday ticket only used to let you stream on one device. Now that is going to expand for me

Not sure if this works for you but I’ve loved it so far. After paying for Sunday ticket for years, keeping a dish going for the months of NFL and then putting it in vacation mode. 2-3 years ago I added the NFL app. I can’t remember the cost but it’s like $10 a month or so. I’m a Bears fan living in NY. I can now watch every Bears game BUT it’s a full replay. Replay is available as soon as the game ends. So a 1pm game, I go and do family things and watch the game at night. It also has an option to hide all game scores so when I open the app I don’t see the score by mistake. It’s been awesome so far and has saved me a ton of $ and I’ve watched every single game the last 2-3 years.

I have pretty much loved Hulu for sports; with the ESPN+ tie in I haven't even missed YES games.

BUT... for some strange reason it has crapped the bed for the tourney this year. So frustrating! It buffers 2 or 3 times before "settling in" at 2 or 3 minutes behind. And any time you switch to a different game it starts all over again. Firestick, smart TV, app & web... no difference. It wasn't like that last year.

I have pretty much loved Hulu for sports; with the ESPN+ tie in I haven't even missed YES games.

BUT... for some strange reason it has crapped the bed for the tourney this year. So frustrating! It buffers 2 or 3 times before "settling in" at 2 or 3 minutes behind. And any time you switch to a different game it starts all over again. Firestick, smart TV, app & web... no difference. It wasn't like that last year.
Not just you - all streaming has been azz this year.
Basketball… baseball classic… soccer…
It’s especially frustrating with the trash NCAA March madness stream app. Looks like 1984.
In my 2Gbps connection I’ve tried everything - computers, iPad, iPhone, Amazon Fire, Roku… don’t matter.
Companies moved from Akamai and all the CDNs clearly can’t handle the traffic.

I have been on SlingTV for about 4 years now.
I had no issues streaming any games during the tournament.
I also have an HD antenna for the games on CBS.

Forget what Sling costs, but it is cheaper than YouTubeTV.

Outside the tournament, the main channel I wish I had was YES, as it seems a lot of games end up there.

ACCNX is a frustrating experience as half the games end up being blacked out.

Not just you - all streaming has been azz this year.
Basketball… baseball classic… soccer…
It’s especially frustrating with the trash NCAA March madness stream app. Looks like 1984.
In my 2Gbps connection I’ve tried everything - computers, iPad, iPhone, Amazon Fire, Roku… don’t matter.
Companies moved from Akamai and all the CDNs clearly can’t handle the traffic.
I have never had an issue with YouTube TV. I do use a VPN and get about 350 mbps. However, NFL Sunday ticket app is/was a complete disaster. For many reasons; I am very happy to see it go to YouTube.

YouTube Tv increase does stink. Obviously due to the NFL contract they just negotiated. But it doesn’t effect me as much. I paid for the 4k add on which was 20 dollars a month which will come down to 10. I actually will be saving 4 dollars a month with this change.

There is no cutting the cord option at any time that will get you more or the same for less.

I hate the term and notion of "cord cutting" .

Certainly you can save money by giving things up. And that is exactly what cord cutting is actually accomplishing. And thats fine. If there are channels or features you can live without, by all means do it, the willingness to lose them will save you money.

No one will ever get the same for less. And before I get besieged with a 100 "no you're wrong Otto because I did so and so..." Save your breath (or fingers). I work in the industry. Among the myriad of services you can choose from they ALL know exactly what they can get as a cord cutting option.

Cord cutting is just a game of whack-a-mole.

In the end, just shop based on what you WANT to have and can't live without, and it doesn't matter what service provides it. If you approach it that way you will find that the 5 different paths you can take to achieve that end goal will all be within 10 dollars of each other. LOL.

I was in the habit of calling Time Warner every year and negotiating theit best deal until Spectrum took over and they refused to budge on price so I cut the cord. First year of YTTV was great. Included all my preferred sports channels and saved me a ton over cable. Then they dropped YES and increased monthly fee by $30 to add some Viacom channels I had no interest in. As a Yankee fan, that made it a non starter and I switched to Hulu with Live TV. Clunkier than YTTV, and limited a bit with DVR service, also lost Paramount Network, but I dealt with it for six months until they did exactly what YTTV did. Went crawling back to Spectrum when they offered me a new customer package, but did all streaming - Smart TV app and Roku - with enhanced Cloud DVR. No boxes, no cables running to the tvs. Figured I would use it for a year and re-evaluate. Once the year was up I called like I used to with Time Warner and Spectrum offered me a substantially discounted package. Tried to get me to consider mobile but I declined, so they suggested I call back in a year and if I would add mobile there would likely be an even greater discount. Paying $170/mo for Silver package including HBO and Showtime, Sports Tier, Enhanced DVR and upgraded Internet. And every SU and Yankee game

Last edited:
Have read many, but not all the posts on this thread so please excuse me if this option has been previously spoken to. We have Sling TV (Orange Package w/ Sports Upgrade which includes the ACC Network. The Cost of this service is $51.00 per month. While Sling has been spoken to I thought the exact cost might be helpful.
My wife and I don't care about or watch local channels so there is no issue there but that could be something to look into if it is overly important to your family.
We tried Sling TV years ago and it was awful, not the case now. The picture is great and we have no issues at all with Sling TV. With the cost of AT&T internet at $55.00 per month we spend $106.00 all in on TV service and the internet connection.
For local CNY News we generally listen to WSYR Radio via IHEART Radio.
Oh, the Orange Package is inclusive with several ESPN channels as well. Check it out and say good bye to the cable company once and for all, we did years ago and frankly have not missed it at all. When we last had Cable it was $164.00 per month, and that was several years ago, can only guess what they want now.
Well, all this said I sure many have reason (all valid) why they may go in a different direct. Anyway good luck and Go Orange !

Last edited:
I was in the habit of calling Time Warner every year and negotiating theit best deal until Spectrum took over and they refused to budge on price so I cut the cord. First year of YTTV was great. Included all my preferred sports channels and saved me a ton over cable. Then they dropped YES and increased monthly fee by $30 to add some Viacom channels I had no interest in. As a Yankee fan, that made it a non starter and I switched to Hulu with Live TV. Clunkier than YTTV, and limited a bit with DVR service, also lost Paramount Network, but I dealt with it for six months until they did exactly what YTTV did. Went crawling back to Spectrum when they offered me a new customer package, but did all streaming - Smart TV app and Roku - with enhanced Cloud DVR. No boxes, no cables running to the tvs. Figured I would use it for a year and re-evaluate. Once the year was up I called like I used to with Time Warner and Spectrum offered me a substantially discounted package. Tried to get me to consider mobile but I declined, so they suggested I call back in a year and if I would add mobile there would likely be an even greater discount. Paying $170/mo for Silver package including HBO and Showtime, Sports Tier, Enhanced DVR and upgraded Internet. And every SU and Yankee game
Your cell phone usage may very greatly from mine. but I have had the Spectrum $14/GB per month plan and have been very happy with it. Now I will say I hardly use the internet unless I am connected to a network so that data package works for me and I rarely go over. I'm in a wheelchair, so it's kind of hard to wheel around and mess around with my phone at the same time when I am out and about.

I have been with DirectTV forever but with the recent news of Sunday Ticket moving over to youtube TV, I think it will be time I finally cut the cord and move over.

There is no cutting the cord option at any time that will get you more or the same for less.

Not exactly true.
For years we battled cable boxes (wired and wireless), with regular outages.
Fubo solved this.
I just now deal with buffering and $70/month. But deflect it with credit card offers (Chase, AMEX, Citi, etc.).

Not exactly true.
For years we battled cable boxes (wired and wireless), with regular outages.
Fubo solved this.
I just now deal with buffering and $70/month. But deflect it with credit card offers (Chase, AMEX, Citi, etc.).

Right, going from a cable package to Fubo, and you didnt lose and channels or features. LOL.

Sling or Fubo

I hate the term and notion of "cord cutting" .

Certainly you can save money by giving things up. And that is exactly what cord cutting is actually accomplishing. And thats fine. If there are channels or features you can live without, by all means do it, the willingness to lose them will save you money.

No one will ever get the same for less. And before I get besieged with a 100 "no you're wrong Otto because I did so and so..." Save your breath (or fingers). I work in the industry. Among the myriad of services you can choose from they ALL know exactly what they can get as a cord cutting option.

Cord cutting is just a game of whack-a-mole.

In the end, just shop based on what you WANT to have and can't live without, and it doesn't matter what service provides it. If you approach it that way you will find that the 5 different paths you can take to achieve that end goal will all be within 10 dollars of each other. LOL.

I still have cable because I have a great deal.

For people who have both cable and Fios available, they will be able to get a good deal going back and forth every 2 years.

More often than not, my wife and I end up watching cable news or old game shows. There is very little original or live content on cable. So sure you get more access to more stations, but they play old content that you can get on any app. I don't even know why some of these stations exist. But that applies to Hulu TV and Youtube as well. There really isn't a point to any of it.

If you went just with apps that had original content, you get everything you need.

So IMO as long as the price of cable is cheap, people should have it. But once the price gets jacked up, you are better off with apps. What are you really giving up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom