Mike G as guy taking the ball out | Syracusefan.com

Mike G as guy taking the ball out

Eagles20

2nd String
I think a lot of people were not happy with him being in that spot. My question is who else besides him should be the one taking it out in late game situations? He seems like the logical choose i suppose and i can't think of a second option.

I think a lot of people were not happy with him being in that spot. My question is who else besides him should be the one taking it out in late game situations? He seems like the logical choose i suppose and i can't think of a second option.

If we have Cooney do it [who I think is solid], then it takes away one of our ball handling options.

Ideally, it would be Chris -- which would give us three ball handlers out there -- but not sure if he has the instincts for it.

If we have Cooney do it [who I think is solid], then it takes away one of our ball handling options.

Ideally, it would be Chris -- which would give us three ball handlers out there -- but not sure if he has the instincts for it.

I would take "not sure" over G at this point - earlier in the year he seemed shaky. Now he seems a tad inept.

After that, I would take anyone else over him. How could they be worse? Both of those mistakes were just incredible to me.

I'm glad somebody posted this thread as I was thinking the same thing.

As you know, Cooney is usually the inbounder. I assume he wasn't doing it in the last half minute since they wanted to try to get him the ball as he is our best FT shooter. However, if you can't inbound the thing at all then we have to try a different approach. I thought Mike had a very good game, but for those three inbound plays he needed to call a TO once and basically turned it over in another.

I would rather see us stay with Cooney even if the ball gets inbounded to our worst free throw shooter. At least the ball is in play and goes 90 feet after the foul. Mike just didn't seem comfortable in that situation. I didn't like it when I watched it live and still don't like the decision. Hopefully the coaches learned something from this as well.

DonLightfoot said:
I'm glad somebody posted this thread as I was thinking the same thing. As you know, Cooney is usually the inbounder. I assume he wasn't doing it in the last half minute since they wanted to try to get him the ball as he is our best FT shooter. However, if you can't inbound the thing at all then we have to try a different approach. I thought Mike had a very good game, but for those three inbound plays he needed to call a TO once and basically turned it over in another. I would rather see us stay with Cooney even if the ball gets inbounded to our worst free throw shooter. At least the ball is in play and goes 90 feet after the foul. Mike just didn't seem comfortable in that situation. I didn't like it when I watched it live and still don't like the decision. Hopefully the coaches learned something from this as well.

You might be right but my mines eye seems to remember Cooney taking it out under the basket we are shooting at. In the defensive end, isn't it usually the 3 or 4?

You might be right but my mines eye seems to remember Cooney taking it out under the basket we are shooting at. In the defensive end, isn't it usually the 3 or 4?
This is the way that I remember it as well. The last couple of games when we were being pressed full court I remember Roberson and BJ taking it out quite a bit. I thought Roberson previously had been doing a good job at getting it in quickly and cleanly. BJ had been a little hesitant possibly due to inexperience at it.

Cooney took it out for virtually every possession until that one. They obviously wanted him on the floor as a ball handler when we had the ball out of bounds on the far end of the floor.

Cooney took it out for virtually every possession until that one. They obviously wanted him on the floor as a ball handler when we had the ball out of bounds on the far end of the floor.

That decision proved...costly.

cto said:

They wanted him on the floor because he's the only one that can catch it and make a free throw.

This is one of the reasons I think Gbinije has a lower ceiling than some of the players behind him: he can't consistently make free throws and he's a poor decision maker. Those two things make it difficult to have him on the floor late in a close game.

For his very good scoring performance, he really hurt us late. This includes the two second-half Villanova layups given up when Gbinije was the lone man back but matadored the ball-handler.

Need someone with a higher IQ than Mike inbounding the ball.

This is one of the reasons I think Gbinije has a lower ceiling than some of the players behind him: he can't consistently make free throws and he's a poor decision maker. Those two things make it difficult to have him on the floor late in a close game.

For his very good scoring performance, he really hurt us late. This includes the two second-half Villanova layups given up when Gbinije was the lone man back but matadored the ball-handler.

He wasn't stellar in the last minutes, but who in Orange was? You have to have Gbinije on the floor because he is one of our better players and we simply don't have a lot of options this season. Joseph and Cooney were playing scared on the offensive end.

Well dont understand why everyone is ignoring this but when the opponent scores you do not have to stand still on the baseline. Hell u dont even have to dribble, u can literally hand the ball to a guy wearing the same jersey as u. Are u kidden me? Heck if u dont know what to do just chuck it to the other ennd of the floor.. dad gum it.

Need someone with a higher IQ than Mike inbounding the ball.
It is not a surprise that the typical Gbinije haters somehow always find a reason to hate.

Without a perspective of the whole picture, blame the young man for doing what he was supposed to do.

Read this:

5 Things to Watch in the Colgate Game By Mike Waters (Post Standard)

"The freshmen factor

Sometimes it's the little things that freshmen do or don't do that wind up playing a big role in a team's success. Such was the case at the end of regulation in SU's game at Villanova on Saturday.

Syracuse led 69-67 with 10.8 seconds left. All the Orange had to do was get the ball inbounds. But Syracuse didn't have any timeouts. The SU players had to perform on their own.

Michael Gbinije took the ball out of bounds. His first instinct was to get the ball to junior guard Trevor Cooney, an experienced player and an 86 percent free-throw shooter. But Cooney was tripped by Villanova's Josh Hart.

Gbinije's next target would have been Kaleb Joseph, but the freshman point guard didn't get open. Joseph juked left, right and left again, but never actually moved from his spot. His defender was easily able to stay between him and Gbinije. Only after Gbinije moved to his right to find another target did Joseph actually make a real cut, but he cut opposite of Gbinije.

Now, Gbinije spotted Rakeem Christmas flashing up the right sideline. Christmas, a senior and a 72 percent free-throw shooter, was a good option.

Meanwhile, Chris McCullough had flashed up the opposite sideline. But instead of staying in his lane and on his side of the court, McCullough wound up running the baseline and all the way to Christmas' side of the court. In doing so, McCullough brought another defender into the mix.

As Gbinije's pass reached Christmas, Villanova's JayVaughn Pinkston swatted at the pass, hitting Christmas on the right arm. No foul was called and there was a loose ball.

At this point, McCullough's defender was able to prevent Christmas from regaining possession. Villanova's Ryan Arcidiacono came up with the ball and dished to Pinkston, who scored the tying basket.

Joseph and McCullough are both very good players, but on this one crucial play, they made freshman mistakes and it cost the Orange. The ups and downs of talented freshmen are something Orange fans will have to deal with this season."

Last edited:
A lot of it is instinctive. You have to try someone else but it's hard to know who will be good at it and who won't.

As others have pointed out, you don't want to take your best ball-handlers and free-throw shooters off the floor. That limits the field.

It is not a surprise that the typical Gbinije haters somehow always find a reason to hate.

Without a perspective of the whole picture, blame the young man for doing what he was supposed to do.

Read this:

5 Things to Watch in the Colgate Game By Mike Waters (Post Standard)

"The freshmen factor

Sometimes it's the little things that freshmen do or don't do that wind up playing a big role in a team's success. Such was the case at the end of regulation in SU's game at Villanova on Saturday.

Syracuse led 69-67 with 10.8 seconds left. All the Orange had to do was get the ball inbounds. But Syracuse didn't have any timeouts. The SU players had to perform on their own.

Michael Gbinije took the ball out of bounds. His first instinct was to get the ball to junior guard Trevor Cooney, an experienced player and an 86 percent free-throw shooter. But Cooney was tripped by Villanova's Josh Hart.

Gbinije's next target would have been Kaleb Joseph, but the freshman point guard didn't get open. Joseph juked left, right and left again, but never actually moved from his spot. His defender was easily able to stay between him and Gbinije. Only after Gbinije moved to his right to find another target did Joseph actually make a real cut, but he cut opposite of Gbinije.

Now, Gbinije spotted Rakeem Christmas flashing up the right sideline. Christmas, a senior and a 72 percent free-throw shooter, was a good option.

Meanwhile, Chris McCullough had flashed up the opposite sideline. But instead of staying in his lane and on his side of the court, McCullough wound up running the baseline and all the way to Christmas' side of the court. In doing so, McCullough brought another defender into the mix.

As Gbinije's pass reached Christmas, Villanova's JayVaughn Pinkston swatted at the pass, hitting Christmas on the right arm. No foul was called and there was a loose ball.

At this point, McCullough's defender was able to prevent Christmas from regaining possession. Villanova's Ryan Arcidiacono came up with the ball and dished to Pinkston, who scored the tying basket.

Joseph and McCullough are both very good players, but on this one crucial play, they made freshman mistakes and it cost the Orange. The ups and downs of talented freshmen are something Orange fans will have to deal with this season."
G did his best that time but he blew the previous two inbounds plays. It was great that he spotted Rak and put it in the best spot he could. Unfortunately by then, he'd already hurt the team's chances.

He's a good player but may not have the instincts (or necessary experience) for inbounding the ball under pressure. I don't agree with cuseguy that G has a low IQ (basketball IQ or otherwise) but he did not exhibit good instincts on those plays.

SU_Fan_in_VA said:
It is not a surprise that the typical Gbinije haters somehow always find a reason to hate. Without a perspective of the whole picture, blame the young man for doing what he was supposed to do. Read this: 5 Things to Watch in the Colgate Game By Mike Waters (Post Standard) "The freshmen factor Sometimes it's the little things that freshmen do or don't do that wind up playing a big role in a team's success. Such was the case at the end of regulation in SU's game at Villanova on Saturday. Syracuse led 69-67 with 10.8 seconds left. All the Orange had to do was get the ball inbounds. But Syracuse didn't have any timeouts. The SU players had to perform on their own. Michael Gbinije took the ball out of bounds. His first instinct was to get the ball to junior guard Trevor Cooney, an experienced player and an 86 percent free-throw shooter. But Cooney was tripped by Villanova's Josh Hart. Gbinije's next target would have been Kaleb Joseph, but the freshman point guard didn't get open. Joseph juked left, right and left again, but never actually moved from his spot. His defender was easily able to stay between him and Gbinije. Only after Gbinije moved to his right to find another target did Joseph actually make a real cut, but he cut opposite of Gbinije. Now, Gbinije spotted Rakeem Christmas flashing up the right sideline. Christmas, a senior and a 72 percent free-throw shooter, was a good option. Meanwhile, Chris McCullough had flashed up the opposite sideline. But instead of staying in his lane and on his side of the court, McCullough wound up running the baseline and all the way to Christmas' side of the court. In doing so, McCullough brought another defender into the mix. As Gbinije's pass reached Christmas, Villanova's JayVaughn Pinkston swatted at the pass, hitting Christmas on the right arm. No foul was called and there was a loose ball. At this point, McCullough's defender was able to prevent Christmas from regaining possession. Villanova's Ryan Arcidiacono came up with the ball and dished to Pinkston, who scored the tying basket. Joseph and McCullough are both very good players, but on this one crucial play, they made freshman mistakes and it cost the Orange. The ups and downs of talented freshmen are something Orange fans will have to deal with this season."

A better inbounds strategy would also work. But I'm not sure we have one. Our strategy seems to be: run around and try to get open.

Run a stack play and it's almost impossible to defend. Coaches run it in youth basketball.

No hating here. Mike G just isn't the brightest bulb.

A better inbounds strategy would also work. But I'm not sure we have one. Our strategy seems to be: run around and try to get open.

Run a stack play and it's almost impossible to defend. Coaches run it in youth basketball.

No hating here. Mike G just isn't the brightest bulb.
It's not really feasible to run a stack play after a made basket where guys are spread around the court - it would take too long to get setup. But, I agree that they should have a "go-to" inbounds play for that situation.

SU_Fan_in_VA said:
It is not a surprise that the typical Gbinije haters somehow always find a reason to hate. Without a perspective of the whole picture, blame the young man for doing what he was supposed to do. Read this: 5 Things to Watch in the Colgate Game By Mike Waters (Post Standard) "The freshmen factor Sometimes it's the little things that freshmen do or don't do that wind up playing a big role in a team's success. Such was the case at the end of regulation in SU's game at Villanova on Saturday. Syracuse led 69-67 with 10.8 seconds left. All the Orange had to do was get the ball inbounds. But Syracuse didn't have any timeouts. The SU players had to perform on their own. Michael Gbinije took the ball out of bounds. His first instinct was to get the ball to junior guard Trevor Cooney, an experienced player and an 86 percent free-throw shooter. But Cooney was tripped by Villanova's Josh Hart. Gbinije's next target would have been Kaleb Joseph, but the freshman point guard didn't get open. Joseph juked left, right and left again, but never actually moved from his spot. His defender was easily able to stay between him and Gbinije. Only after Gbinije moved to his right to find another target did Joseph actually make a real cut, but he cut opposite of Gbinije. Now, Gbinije spotted Rakeem Christmas flashing up the right sideline. Christmas, a senior and a 72 percent free-throw shooter, was a good option. Meanwhile, Chris McCullough had flashed up the opposite sideline. But instead of staying in his lane and on his side of the court, McCullough wound up running the baseline and all the way to Christmas' side of the court. In doing so, McCullough brought another defender into the mix. As Gbinije's pass reached Christmas, Villanova's JayVaughn Pinkston swatted at the pass, hitting Christmas on the right arm. No foul was called and there was a loose ball. At this point, McCullough's defender was able to prevent Christmas from regaining possession. Villanova's Ryan Arcidiacono came up with the ball and dished to Pinkston, who scored the tying basket. Joseph and McCullough are both very good players, but on this one crucial play, they made freshman mistakes and it cost the Orange. The ups and downs of talented freshmen are something Orange fans will have to deal with this season."

My only problem with G on that inbounds was he took so long and let the D get in place. If he grabs the ball and quickly gets it inbounds, he had 2 guys all alone, one bring Cooney.

Cooney can't take the ball out of bounds in close games. He's the only person we can trust at the foul line, maybe besides Roc. Someone needs to learn how to do this. G should be capable, he is a guard afterall.

My only problem with G on that inbounds was he took so long and let the D get in place. If he grabs the ball and quickly gets it inbounds, he had 2 guys all alone, one bring Cooney.
That play prior to that (where he called the TO) he had Cooney and another player (don't remember) open enough. He was too conservative and didn't pull the trigger. After the TO, he inbounded it to Cooney who was covered even better than he had been before the TO.

Really could have used that TO later when Cooney forgot to stand up.