Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns

2 good years, 2 REALLY bad years. Probably gets one more as the rubber match or they can just eat the contract and fire him and to be honest I would probably fire him if they can make the $ work. He has been horrible the past 2 years at UW there is no denying that, I just don't know why you seem to revel in it and continue to post here about it. The UW job does stink though and the program will most likely need a miracle to ever be anything but mediocre. If Hop can't get a HC job at a smaller school in the Northeast, I wouldn't be shocked if he winds up as an NBA assistant

I don't want him back at Syracuse as the HC and I have always been in the boat that Syracuse should hire the best coach for the job when JB retires. I do like Hop and appreciate everything he did here while at Syracuse. Also, stop with the hire him at Syracuse B.. S... Like I said, he has been horrific at UW the past 2 years
I think Red deserves a shot at the head coaching position and I think he will get it.

I think Red deserves a shot at the head coaching position and I think he will get it.

Why?

Because he landed a couple of mediocre recruits [in terms of national ranking]?
Because other programs are beating his door down offering head coaching opportunities?
Because he's a proven commodity with a proven track record of success at the P5 level?

If Red is the best we can do, then it's a sad commentary. And you won't find a bigger fan of Red as a player / coach here at SU than me.

Last edited:
I think Hop's biggest problem at Washington has been roster management. I think he needed to primarily recruit good players that would stay for 3 or 4 seasons. Instead, he recruited 2 McD's All-Americans in 2019, but they were 1 and dones. In addition, he has brought in 4 transfers with less than 4 years to play.

I don't think the roster management issues would exist at Syracuse for Hop as he could bring in solid recruiting classes every year bringing in a core of solid 4 star recruits that would stay 3 or 4 years plus the occasional 5 star.

I don't think the roster management issues would exist at Syracuse for Hop as he could bring in solid recruiting classes every year bringing in a core of solid 4 star recruits that would stay 3 or 4 years plus the occasional 5 star.
He also let Porter go without a fight. UW could have been better, even with one year of MP Jr.

He also let Porter go without a fight. UW could have been better, even with one year of MP Jr.

How does one "fight" a recruit's decision to leave to go play with his father & brother?? :rolleyes:

When he had planned to play for his father at U-Dub before Romar was canned?

I like Red, but what are his qualifications and if he’s so highly regarded why haven’t others schools been knocking on his door?
So you'd prefer Hop who I like but let's be honest,;he hasn't done very well at Washington. And if memory serves, when he filled in for JB, he didn't do much better?

Our program is a shell of itself last few years without him. Anyone who would chose a current assistant over Hop is crazy.

Why?

Because he landed a couple of mediocre recruits [in terms of national ranking]?
Because other programs are beating his door down offering head coaching opportunities?
Because he's a proven commodity with a proven track record of success at the P5 level?

If Red is the best we can do, then it's a sad commentary. And you won't find a bigger fan of Red as a player / coach here at SU than me.
LOL After that post, I give you credit for saying that with a straight face. RF, we are pals, but never, ever, say anything about me and then say and I love dasher.

How does one "fight" a recruit's decision to leave to go play with his father & brother?? :rolleyes:

When he had planned to play for his father at U-Dub before Romar was canned?

col·lo·qui·al·ism
/kəˈlōkwēəˌlizəm/

noun
  1. a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.
    "the colloquialisms of the streets"
    • the use of ordinary or familiar words or phrases.
      "speech allows for colloquialism and slang"

LOL After that post, I give you credit for saying that with a straight face. RF, we are pals, but never, ever, say anything about me and then say and I love dasher.

Dasher, this is an obligatory qualifier -- because we go way back, and you know that I RESPECT both you and your opinions at the highest order of magnitude. Normally.

But if you honestly believe that Red is qualified to replace Boeheim, or are of the mindset that he "deserves" to be Boeheim's replacement, than I'm embarrassed to say that I think I've vastly overestimated your strategic acumen, which pains me to say. And, I think, I'm more than happy to part at this fork in the road with respect to this discourse, because of said respect that I have for you.

It's one thing to suggest that he should be in a list of candidates. It's quite another to suggest that he is "qualified," given the current state of his resume, or that based upon any objective criteria that he would be the "best" candidate ADJW could line up, given his qualifications.

Identify and hire the best candidate. Period.

Dasher, this is an obligatory qualifier -- because we go way back, and you know that I RESPECT both you and your opinions at the highest order of magnitude. Normally.

But if you honestly believe that Red is qualified to replace Boeheim, or are of the mindset that he "deserves" to be Boeheim's replacement, than I'm embarrassed to say that I think I've vastly overestimated your strategic acumen, which pains me to say. And, I think, I'm more than happy to part at this fork in the road with respect to this discourse, because of said respect that I have for you.

It's one thing to suggest that he should be in a list of candidates. It's quite another to suggest that he is "qualified," given the current state of his resume, or that based upon any objective criteria that he would be the "best" candidate ADJW could line up, given his qualifications.

LOL I was joking. My post had zero to do with Red. Simply that you basically said that you don't want Red ( I don't disagree at all) and after more of that, added, and no one loves Red more than me. My point was, joking, for red's sake, God i hope that isn't true.

LOL I was joking. My post had zero to do with Red. Simply that you basically said that you don't want Red ( I don't disagree at all) and after more of that, added, and no one loves Red more than me. My point was, joking, for red's sake, God i hope that isn't true.
I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL, DASHER!!!

My bad, I completely misinterpreted your earlier post, sorry about that!

Saw some posters reference the Eric Devendorf podcast in a couple other threads. It's very enjoyable, and have noticed a common theme in the interviews. All the ex-players LOVE Hopkins, and have nothing but good things to say about him. Including being huge in the recruiting process.

It is only one point but makes me feel good about bringing in real talent if he ever comes back to coaching here

Unless the external candidate is a slam dunk companies should promote from within.
My two cents is any outside coach has to be special. Oats or of that caliber.
Red has long arms. He is well respected. I would give him an opportunity. 3 years. If he fails then there is a clear path to move from beyond the past.
He might not be a splashy pick but he is a solid pick.

Unless the external candidate is a slam dunk companies should promote from within.
My two cents is any outside coach has to be special. Oats or of that caliber.
Red has long arms. He is well respected. I would give him an opportunity. 3 years. If he fails then there is a clear path to move from beyond the past.
He might not be a splashy pick but he is a solid pick.

Rarely in life is anything a slam dunk. Your entire premise is flawed.

This isn't a lifetime achievement award -- it's a performance driven, high profile job. You don't hire unqualified candidates, you don't bring in guys who are unproven, you don't hire someone who requires on the job training

Ironically no sign of HuskyHooper after a UW win.

1611235347579.png