Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

And if it was up to JAB, we never would have moved to the Carrier Dome and probably never would have been part of the Big East. As great as JAB has been, foresight is probably not one of his big strengths. Occasionally he needs an Athletic Director to succeed.
JB wanted to stay in the ECAC? First time I've heard that!

JB wanted to stay in the ECAC? First time I've heard that!
I don't know but I said "probably" because we know he's pretty much a status quo kind of guy. When the original BE was formed it was more of a basketball conference than football, but we know he, like many others, never expected it to blow up like it did. But the first year in the BE, we still played the likes of Niagara, Canisius, St Bona, Siena, Cornell, Penn State along with future BE opponents, Rutgers, Nova and WVU, so it still had a familiar ECAC ring to it.

Nah, he’s clearly a bad coach who can’t build a program. I can’t imagine how the alumni and boosters would react if you bring in a guy who had 3-4 straight losing seasons to replace a coach who has never even had 1. He’s an assistant and recruiting lead at best. Syracuse needs to look outside the family for the next hire.

Until the Stewart/Green/McDaniels team imploded he was doing great there and the SU job was thought to be beneath him by most on here.

I get it that we have had 3 runs in the NCAAT but most of those years most people not affiliated with SU thought we should have been playing in the NIT. Read the thread when the brackets were being announced last year folks on here thought we were screwed and out after the first 2 pods dropped. Louisville would have beaten the teams we did. Everyone on the staff has been part of SU turning into a perennial bubble team and recruiting like a middle teir Big East program. Hop is my plan C or D if the top candidates turn us down. Hes the guy you can fire if he doesn't deserve to get fired but you think there is a better option. Hard to do that to Gerry.

If true Hop gets fired, he will get a call/interview for the HC position, especially now with no buyout.

I don't know but I said "probably" because we know he's pretty much a status quo kind of guy. When the original BE was formed it was more of a basketball conference than football, but we know he, like many others, never expected it to blow up like it did. But the first year in the BE, we still played the likes of Niagara, Canisius, St Bona, Siena, Cornell, Penn State along with future BE opponents, Rutgers, Nova and WVU, so it still had a familiar ECAC ring to it.
We still play teams in the Big East after 8 years in the ACC too. JB is loyal and values relationships. It can be viewed as a weakness or a strength depending on one’s own personal take. We actually are a northeast team, every bit as much as BC, Nova, Rutgers, Penn St, etc, we physically haven’t moved and pretending otherwise is delusional.

If the AD actually does due diligence, then it is virtually impossible to envision that Autry would emerge as the best, most qualified candidate at the end of the process.
RF, though I agree with some of your points, from all I've seen of Wildhack, I'll lay odds that Red Autry gets the nod as next HBBC at SU.
Wildhack is an alum. He knows how deep the JB "thing" goes at SU. Red is a viable candidate who's been getting "groomed" all these years to eventually take over for the old man. An outside candidate might emerge, but only AFTER Red gets his chance at the helm. And whether that's a good thing for the SU bball program is to be determined.
I'm not saying its the smartest or best move, but again, I'll lay odds that it'll be what we see from the SUAD. JMHO

I think it’s going to be GMAC not Autry. I think a Wildhack looks at GMAC like he does Tony White.

I still say he’s the best option (among the realistic options) to replace Boeheim. He is undoubtedly learning a lot through this experience at UW, things our other candidates will have to learn while at the helm of our own ship.
Hahahahaha. How would this fan base put up with seasons like he has had in Washington? Love is a many splendored thing.

in 2015-2016 Hopkins coached some games for JB. wikipedia says he went 4-5 and 0-3 in the ACC

this was a team that went to the Final Four and he couldnt win an ACC game with them.

I was very underwhelmed with how he managed games - I watch closely.

Nothing he's done at UW has changed my mind about not wanting him to be the permanent coach of SU

im really surprised given the plethora of basketball coaches out there who would jump at the SU job that anyone would consider hopkins at this point as a leading candidate or even a desirable one.

this whole bit about experience is overrated imo - JB didnt have experience. Wildhack doesnt have experience hiring a head basketball coach either for what its worth

What does it really take? its a guess

you can go with experience and be safer - im sure pitino would kill it, for example

but beyond that - anyone without experience could also do well - its just it would be more of an unknown going into it.

experience is a good data point in vetting but ...for me just makes it less likley that whoever does the hiring gets any backlash not that the hire will actually be the best...which shoud=ldnt really be a big factor imo

Bill Belichick was kind of a joke as a head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Just sayin’. Maybe Mike rules the world in his second opportunity?
You really wanna chance that? For every Bill Belichick there are 10 terrible coaches who do nothing

I’d rather have Hop than Red or Gmac, but he really dropped the ball at UW. I watched every game the year of Isiah Stewart and really believe they were legit contenders, Quade being suspended screwed that team up bad, but he learned from the best when it came to ignoring depth. Losing one player shouldn’t devastate a team.

... he really dropped the ball at UW. I watched every game the year of Isiah Stewart and really believe they were legit contenders, Quade being suspended screwed that team up bad ...
Another top player, Nahziah Carter, was also suspended early in the 2020-21 season, and then quit the team after two sexual assault allegations. The suspensions and COVID presumably played a role in the bad season. But Washington finished last in a weak PAC-12 in 2019-20, before any of this happened.

Bill Belichick was kind of a joke as a head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Just sayin’. Maybe Mike rules the world in his second opportunity?

Belichick had a very fine season in 1994 and even beat the Patriots in a post season game. The 1995 was sabotaged by Art Model's machinations and I think the morale of the team collapsed. Model had promised that he'd be the coach of the team in Baltimore but reneged on that agreement and fired Belichick. He wasn't a 'joke'.

Bill Belichick - Wikipedia

You really wanna chance that? For every Bill Belichick there are 10 terrible coaches who do nothing
No, it was kind of a… I dunno what to call it. A reminder that a coach isn’t necessarily definable by one episode in a long career. Lots of stuff is at play, and they can grow, learn, evolve, and maybe hit upon some theme that leads to success later in life.

But, no—I don’t think it would be reasonable to expect that with Hopkins. I don’t watch UDub games to know whether it’s all his fault or whatever, but it would be massively weird to bring back someone who would seemingly only be available because he failed elsewhere.

Belichick had a very fine season in 1994 and even beat the Patriots in a post season game. The 1995 was sabotaged by Art Model's machinations and I think the morale of the team collapsed. Model had promised that he'd be the coach of the team in Baltimore but reneged on that agreement and fired Belichick. He wasn't a 'joke'.

Bill Belichick - Wikipedia

I did high school and college summers in NE Ohio (pre-94) and there were lots of jokes about Bill Belichick at the time. But that’s not the point. He was an unsuccessful coach in Cleveland in his first HC role, and then became a legend afterward. That‘s what should have been the takeaway.

I’d rather have Hop than Red or Gmac, but he really dropped the ball at UW. I watched every game the year of Isiah Stewart and really believe they were legit contenders, Quade being suspended screwed that team up bad, but he learned from the best when it came to ignoring depth. Losing one player shouldn’t devastate a team.

Jason Hart should not be ignored here. He may or may not have interest….but he should be on our list to pursue and find out.

I did high school and college summers in NE Ohio (pre-94) and there were lots of jokes about Bill Belichick at the time. But that’s not the point. He was an unsuccessful coach in Cleveland in his first HC role, and then became a legend afterward. That‘s what should have been the takeaway.
Even he had an 11-5 season in Cleveland, though the overrated Dan Reeves getting his feelings hurt and hand delivering Pepper Johnson to Cleveland was a big factor.

I'm a Browns fan since the days of Jim Brown and i was glad that the Browns were contending again. Nick Saban was his DC. That's a pretty good tandem. Then Model spoiled it.

No he wasn't. He has been the most successful coach in Cleveland since Marty Shot and Bud Carson before him in the mid 80s

Thirty plus years

How about Carmelo?

Our Juwon Howard? I think the current NBA superstar guys have made so much money that is he incentivized to do the job it will require? No doubt he would get recruits but is he looking to live in CNY?

I've held firm that Mike Hopkins is the next HC no matter what. If he's at Washington, if he's fired, if he's hosting Jeopardy. That was the guy before Jim worked past his retirement. To me the bigger question has always been who sticks around with Mike as the first lieutenant. I suspect Red or Gerry leave if that happens. I'm frankly still surprised BC didn't hire Gerry or Red before they went with Earl Grant.

And we really think Wildhack is making this decision?
james cordon puzzled.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom