Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

I did high school and college summers in NE Ohio (pre-94) and there were lots of jokes about Bill Belichick at the time. But that’s not the point. He was an unsuccessful coach in Cleveland in his first HC role, and then became a legend afterward. That‘s what should have been the takeaway.

The Atlantic had an article about the Met's new manager that includes several examples of guys who were 'failures' as managers in prior gigs who made it big when given more favorable circumstances.

Yup. He might have had more direct input 10 years ago [maybe even 5], but that ship has sailed. You summed it up perfectly.

Do we know that (JB will have less direct input than years ago) or is that wishful thinking? In a rational world that should be the case. But unless somebody has that knowledge I do have concerns that it may not be.

Reading through this thread it's clear that MH has many supporters who fondly recall his contributions while at SU. I can understand that. That said, he's won nine of his last 38 games in what many here categorize as a weak league. Sorry, I think we can do better.

Reading through this thread it's clear that MH has many supporters who fondly recall his contributions while at SU. I can understand that. That said, he's won nine of his last 38 games in what many here categorize as a weak league. Sorry, I think we can do better.
I love Hop but you’re right, Syracuse needs to do better than a 9-28 coach.

Also I think Musselman would kill it here. He is a long time coach who has earned his way up so I think JB would respect him even without any Syracuse ties.

Exactly, but there’s no way Bama lets him go.
Agreed nor do I think SU would be willing to substantially improve his pay - $3.3 million per year through 2027 - to entice him to leave. SU paying in the $4 mil+ range for a hoops coach would be a shocker.

Think Tony B may have seen his best days…
Maybe, however he did win a NC during this bubble period and went 2-0 against SU last year. Outside of that Elite 8 comeback, he has owned SU. Need to turn that around.

I love Hop but you’re right, Syracuse needs to do better than a 9-28 coach.

Also I think Musselman would kill it here. He is a long time coach who has earned his way up so I think JB would respect him even without any Syracuse ties.
No bigger fan of Hop’s than me, but he’s not getting a P5 HC gig as his next job.

But he will get another chance at some point.

Do we know that (JB will have less direct input than years ago) or is that wishful thinking? In a rational world that should be the case. But unless somebody has that knowledge I do have concerns that it may not be.
JB decided he wouldn't retire, he will probably get his choice for who replaces him as well.
The program has been on a downward track for a few years. We are not going to get someone from outside to come in and suddenly get back to being a top 10 team again.
We are in a Southern League, where North Carolina, Duke and now Virginia rule. We might never get back to being consistently top 10 again.
This is not that attractive job as it was about 10 years ago.

You go high risk/high reward because everyone is OK with discarding JBs replacement after 2 years in search of someone better. We might have guys pass on the job not wanting to replace JB but saying 'call me in 2 years if this is open again I might change my mind.'

I think recruiting matters more to fans than our record. If we don't have regular seasons like UNC or Duke or make a final four right away we better bring in burger boys or the fans will want to move on. Big recruits is the only think that will keep the fanbase on someones side if we are on the bubble in a given year. Hopkins recruiting track record is why he should get some consideration despite the implosion at UW. A guy like McCaffery might win but hes not getting the recruits to energize the program and fanbase. Even Cooley doesn't get them at PC he had that one great class with Ledo/Dunn/Joe Young 2/3 of them never dribbling a ball for PC and then nothing similar since.

Gerry or Red are going to recruit at that level if they get the job?

Bland and Hart are better options. Troy Weaver too.

Established coaches of Oats caliber that I offer are:

Oats
Brad Underwood (he might say yes and has peaked there)
Wes Miller
Steve Forbes
Travis Steele
Mick Cronin (he was in the playin game and on thin ice at UCLA before their run)
Tad Boyle
Erik Musselman
Mike White
Will Wade
Mark Pope

Those are guys who say yes. Good track record. Syracuse job would be like going from a Chevy to a Cadillac for most. The type of hire we have to make. I'm sure there are some NBA guys who would be OK but I can't really list them easily.
Cronin doesn’t leave UCLA for Syracuse. Not sure SU could outbid Bama, if they wanted to keep Oats

The recent developments on the football side give me hope. It seems pretty clear that the AD is forcing Babers to go out of his comfort zone and is willing to put some money behind it. I’m hoping that’s a sign that he will be as aggressive on the hoops side once JB retires. I love the idea of Cooley… not sure if he is too far along though and I’m too lazy to look it up.

The recent developments on the football side give me hope. It seems pretty clear that the AD is forcing Babers to go out of his comfort zone and is willing to put some money behind it. I’m hoping that’s a sign that he will be as aggressive on the hoops side once JB retires. I love the idea of Cooley… not sure if he is too far along though and I’m too lazy to look it up.
No. He’s underachieved for the talent he’s had at Providence.

And a big fat no on Willard too before anyone mentions that idea.

It's okay for them -- especially Duke -- because they were recruiting at the highest level and have been playing top 10 caliber ball. So they have a REASON to seek continuity.

What's our reason? To continue the streak of double-digit loss seasons? To perpetually remain on the NCAA tournament bubble? To preserve our lackluster recruiting? To maintain the mediocrity?

My god -- it is shocking to see how much a segment of the fanbase's expectations have lowered.
It's true, a few good weekends in the NCAAs have masked the inadequacies of November through March for the past 7 years. I think we need a new look with a different perspective rather than staying in-house.

Exactly, but there’s no way Bama lets him go.

Will the bball program there ever generate the kind of income to make holding on to him worth it? I don't know about that. At SU, bball can pay for a $5 million/year coach as long as he's successful.

Cronin doesn’t leave UCLA for Syracuse. Not sure SU could outbid Bama, if they wanted to keep Oats

Not if he has a big season this year and/or next but Cronin could be the guy to replace JB's replacement.

These guys like to move around more than people think. People just tend to mention the names that aren't going to move around (Wright/Few) for whatever reason.

If SU made Oats or Underwood an offer and they accepted it I am pretty certain Bama and Illinois would offer to match. I still think both of them would leave and would prefer to coach here for the same $$$.

I would hope we could do a lot better than Cooley. Talk about mediocre.

Not if he has a big season this year and/or next but Cronin could be the guy to replace JB's replacement.

These guys like to move around more than people think. People just tend to mention the names that aren't going to move around (Wright/Few) for whatever reason.

If SU made Oats or Underwood an offer and they accepted it I am pretty certain Bama and Illinois would offer to match. I still think both of them would leave and would prefer to coach here for the same $$$.
What makes you think that SU is more attractive?

What makes you think that SU is more attractive?

Alabama basketball is Duke football. We are in a better conference. This isn't even a question whats the better job.

Illinois is not a better program than SU with more prestige or anything. Similar success the last couple decades sure but there isn't anywhere near the fan support or buzz. Self didn't think twice about ditching them for KU. Underwood has his best team ever back and they are underwhelming he might want to leave. They also turn on their coaches very quickly see Bruce Weber. Underwood seems like a job hopper Illinois wasn't a major upgrade over Oklahoma State. SU wouldn't be a huge upgrade but it would be an upgrade nonetheless.

Well,IMO they don’t move around so much as they move “up”. SU is not up from UCLA. Then there is the weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom