Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

He was. So was a young Chris Paul.

But he played guys like Elton Brand, Brad Miller, Shane Battier and Antwan Jamison.
We're talking the 2004 US Olympic team, right?

Are we serious right now? I’ve always thought he was a trash HC. So stubborn and so old school. You saw the results when he led the olympic team.
Look what he did at SMU.

Last edited:
Ok I am confused here, if Larry Brown becomes an assistant to Hop, and Brown has a coaching tree that includes Bill Self, Cal, Gregg Popovich...does it mean Hop is now on top of that tree? And JB is the coaching great grand daddy of Popovich?

This is more confusing than a W Virginia family reunion! :p

Hop is trying to survive and if he thinks an 80 plus year old guy can help more power to him. That said if any coach other than one with SU ties did it we would be mocking the move.

Hop is trying to survive and if he thinks an 80 plus year old guy can help more power to him. That said if any coach other than one with SU ties did it we would be mocking the move.
I don't know anything about this hire, but is it possible it was the Athletic Director's idea for Hop to get a bench coach and mentor on staff?

I thought it was 2006. Maybe that was FIFA WC. I'm too old to count backwards.
Probably not FIFA - unless Larry Brown also coached soccer.

If you meant FIBA and 2006 - K was the head coach and JB was an assistant.

Ouch. Looks like Goodman jumped the gun and didn‘t confirm with all the parties. Once one media guy jumps, they all do. Or could it be negotiation posturing by Brown since it sounds like a definitive deal wasn’t done? Not a good spot for Hop after Brown’s denial though.

Has anyone suggested that he did this to spite JB who he knows wants to keep coaching?

Did he even ask JB if he was interested before calling Larry Brown?
JB telling Juli (who is probably on Cloud Nine that she gets full quality time with her husband now for the first time ever) that he wants to move 3000 miles to become an assistant coach for a meddling program would probably go about as well as Tom telling Gisele that he wants to keep playing for the Bucs.

When he comes to being content in one place for the long haul, you literally can't find two humans not only in college basketball but all of sports more opposite than Jim Boeheim and Larry Brown.

Has anyone suggested that he did this to spite JB who he knows wants to keep coaching?

Did he even ask JB if he was interested before calling Larry Brown?
Is this satire? JB isn’t moving out of Central New York, let alone across the country, to be an assistant coach. Or even a head coach at this point. The man is enjoying a well deserved retirement.

I thought it was 2006. Maybe that was FIFA WC. I'm too old to count backwards.
2006 wasn't an Olympic year. It was 2004, the year after all those guys were drafted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom