Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

I mean in a vacuum, I would take Hop over Gmac or Griff, due to how instrumental he was in building some great teams at SU and the fact he has head coaching experience, but the dynamic would be too awkward this early in AA's tenure to bring on the guy who was the former HC in waiting. If things go sideways fans will be clamoring for Hop to be named Interim HC. I also dont know how long ago it was that Hop landed a player from the East Coast while at UW? Does he still carry the same rep/swag that he used to back when he repped SU? If a spot opened up on the staff, you never know but I don't see it happening.
What difference does it make if fans are clamoring for hop to take over or for red to be fired (if things go sideways), those are two sides of the same coin. I’m sure his Recruting ties of 35 years don’t disappear just because he couldn’t make it to every AAU tournament.

What difference does it make if fans are clamoring for hop to take over or for red to be fired (if things go sideways), those are two sides of the same coin. I’m sure his Recruting ties of 35 years don’t disappear just because he couldn’t make it to every AAU tournament.
what difference does it make? Look, we all want to assemble the best staff possible but the head coach is not gonna make that hire for one of his 3 assistant positions. Hes completed 1 year, hes not at Nick Saban level yet where he just adds former head coaches to come for coaching rehab.

what difference does it make? Look, we all want to assemble the best staff possible but the head coach is not gonna make that hire for one of his 3 assistant positions. Hes completed 1 year, hes not at Nick Saban level yet where he just adds former head coaches to come for coaching rehab.
Can do it and should do it are two different things. This is a hypothetical conversation, if the world exists where Hop would come here, you do not give up that chance.

Can do it and should do it are two different things. This is a hypothetical conversation, if the world exists where Hop would come here, you do not give up that chance.
Hey, if one of the 3 assistants bolts, he might be the first call you want to make

Perhaps his recruiting ties have dried up because he couldn't make it to every NIT tournament?

It's a lot easier to recruit for a HOF'er and perennial top-20 program. Coaches and handlers are gonna steer the kids to where the pastures are greenest (literally) and where the opportunity of success is greatest. Do we offer the latter? The former is falling behind the curve it seems.

Perhaps his recruiting ties have dried up because he couldn't make it to every NIT tournament?

It's a lot easier to recruit for a HOF'er and perennial top-20 program. Coaches and handlers are gonna steer the kids to where the pastures are greenest (literally) and where the opportunity of success is greatest. Do we offer the latter? The former is falling behind the curve it seems.
irrelevant, his role as an assistant is vastly different compared to being a head coach. does working under a hall of famer (or future member) help? Of course, but if that was all that drove success then we are screwed in football. So we best hope your take doesn’t ring true.

I mean in a vacuum, I would take Hop over Gmac or Griff, due to how instrumental he was in building some great teams at SU and the fact he has head coaching experience, but the dynamic would be too awkward this early in AA's tenure to bring on the guy who was the former HC in waiting. If things go sideways fans will be clamoring for Hop to be named Interim HC. I also dont know how long ago it was that Hop landed a player from the East Coast while at UW? Does he still carry the same rep/swag that he used to back when he repped SU? If a spot opened up on the staff, you never know but I don't see it happening.
Other than nostalgia, why would a SU fan want Hopkins as a HC? He failed running his own program and he is a zone guy.

Other than nostalgia, why would a SU fan want Hopkins as a HC? He failed running his own program and he is a zone guy.
Nostalgia is a powerful drug.
Some will think it went downhill when he left.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.
Some will think it went downhill when he left.
Love Hop but recruiting was down before he left. He left right before the 2017-2018 season. People were complaining before even then about recruiting wondering if JB and Hop’s summer Olympic involvement was hurting recruiting etc.

Love Hop but recruiting was down before he left. He left right before the 2017-2018 season. People were complaining before even then about recruiting wondering if JB and Hop’s summer Olympic involvement was hurting recruiting etc.
Totally agree with your take but didn't he leave hours after the NIT loss in 2017 I believe.

Totally agree with your take but didn't he leave hours after the NIT loss in 2017 I believe.
Guess, I don’t understand your point. He left in 2017 before the 2017-2018 season for Washington which, yes, would have been after the NIT. I had no issue with the timing. Sorry if I wasn’t clear. We had brought in 2 good transfer players, White and Gillon to fill one year open roster spots on that 2016-2017 NIT team while he was still an assistant. Whether it was a combo of sanctions, JB and Hop’s summer responsibilities on the Olympic team, job searching, early NBA entries, transfers, whatever it was- there were already complaints about recruiting even while Hop was here. Coaches usually recruit top players for years before they ever arrive on campus.

I also want to make it clear that I only wished success for Hop after he left too.

As others have said, I think Hop will rehab his reputation and bolster his resume with a stint in the NBA.

Agreed.

Besides, recruiting [with NIL, the portal, etc.] is different now. What made somebody successful 8+ years ago aren't necessarily the attributes that are most important now.

Best of luck to him, can't see him ever coming back here.

Sadly for Hop, your streak continues. For more ridiculous predictions, stay tuned to this syracusefan.com profile.
Hey, knocked out in the first round by a 14-17 team is pretty close to winning the PAC 12 tourney, they just didn’t get the breaks they needed. Like, being matched up against DePaul and Louisville for 4 straight days

I think Mike is going to the nba. The Quinn Snyder plan.

Or if BC blows up the Earl Grant era I could see him surface there. He was a finalist before

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom