Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job

i think the chances of hop leaving would be greater when ben howland loses his job if not this year by next!
what makes you think he would be a front runner for the UCLA job? I don't. You pick fruit when it's ripe. Mike should take the USC job if he gets the chance. I don't think JB is leaving any time soon. I don't think Hop does either.

what makes you think he would be a front runner for the UCLA job? I don't. You pick fruit when it's ripe. Mike should take the USC job if he gets the chance. I don't think JB is leaving any time soon. I don't think Hop does either.
It was a "person with knowledge" that said Hop was interviewing. Maybe from one of the threads on this board? It could be just about anybody.

It was a "person with knowledge" that said Hop was interviewing. Maybe from one of the threads on this board? It could be just about anybody.

The article says it already took place.

It's really six on one hand, 1/2 dozen on the other.

If Hops stays...great. We know that we're getting a guy who's from the "program," has done a TON of recruiting while he's been here, and someone who will be a great "1st coach after the Legend."

If he doesn't...oh well. As others have said, it's not like we're Temple trying to replace John Chaney or UMass trying to replace John Calipari.

We're Syracuse University. An all-time top 10 program. Not Grambling State!

The biggest immediate impact even if JB stays for a few more years would be a downturn in recruiting. Hop has been the driver of the upturn in recruiting ever since he replaced Bernie as the top recruiter. He is one of the top recruiters in the country. It would be a big blow.

The biggest immediate impact even if JB stays for a few more years would be a downturn in recruiting. Hop has been the driver of the upturn in recruiting ever since he replaced Bernie as the top recruiter. He is one of the top recruiters in the country. It would be a big blow.

Would need to replace him with a Troy Weaver type.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't think many SU fans know how integral Hop has been to the overall success of this program since he came on board. You're right. He's a hell of a recruiter. He doesn't just hold a clipboard for JB during timeouts.

I didn't say I though he was a front runner for the job. I said there would be a better chance of him leaving for that job than a cursed program that can't compete with zona, ucla, and even Nike U in recruiting for that matter.

Jimmy has certainly earned the right to call his own shots in terms of when he will retire. That being said, I also think Mike has earned the right to have a heart to heart with Jimmy to get insight as to when that might be. I simply can't believe at this stage of the game that Jimmy has no idea how much longer he might want to coach. If Mike took another job, that would seem to be some sort of a signal that Jimmy either has no plans to retire or that his plans are multiple years out.

I wish Mike the very best and then some. It would be semi-criminal if after all his years of waiting if Jimmy decided to retire in a year or two and Mike had left pre-maturely.

lets just pretend this didn't happen and instead talk about what board is better.
The timing couldn't be any better for this board and article. I mean what a perfect storm. Lol

Jimmy has certainly earned the right to call his own shots in terms of when he will retire. That being said, I also think Mike has earned the right to have a heart to heart with Jimmy to get insight as to when that might be. I simply can't believe at this stage of the game that Jimmy has no idea how much longer he might want to coach. If Mike took another job, that would seem to be some sort of a signal that Jimmy either has no plans to retire or that his plans are multiple years out.

I wish Mike the very best and then some. It would be semi-criminal if after all his years of waiting if Jimmy decided to retire in a year or two and Mike had left pre-maturely.
I'd be shocked if there wasn't an ongoing dialogue on this issue.

There once was a time where JB was the young coach who had to demand that his time had come. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, you have to assume JB is aware of -and sympathetic to- Mike's situation.

Seriously Syracuse is one of the best jobs in the country and we’d be able to pick from the cream of the coaching crop. From Billy Donovan to John Beilein to Jay Wright to insert name here. Is there really anybody outside of Coack K, Williams, Cal, Pitino or JT3 who’d be out of the question? Crean and Self would be realistic candidates imo.

The SU AD knows darn well that JB is a bargain and Syracuse would pay top dollar if it had to. The basketball team makes money hand over fist.

Seriously Syracuse is one of the best jobs in the country and we’d be able to pick from the cream of the coaching crop. From Billy Donovan to John Beilein to Jay Wright to insert name here. Is there really anybody outside of Coack K, Williams, Cal, Pitino or JT3 who’d be out of the question? Crean and Self would be realistic candidates imo.

The SU AD knows darn well that JB is a bargain and Syracuse would pay top dollar if it had to. The basketball team makes money hand over fist.

Wait, seriously? You think we're getting Tom Crean to leave Indiana, or Bill Self to leave Kansas for the SU job?

I don't think there is any chance of this. Don't think Donovan would leave either

You think? Syracuse is cheap as hell when it comes to paying salaries. Shaka Smart, Steve Alford, and Mark Few, for example, already make nearly what Boeheim does. And Anthony Grant makes more than Boeheim.

I'd like to think that there would be hotshot young coaching talent lining up for a crack at the SU job, but I guess it remains to be seen.

I don't agree that Syracuse is "cheap as hell when it comes to paying salaries." The real determinant is that JB isn't concerned about maximizing his salary, because he feels that he makes great money for the relatively low cost of living in CNY. If he didn't feel that way, I'm sure that the AD would pony up and pay him a market rate commensurate with his reputation / accomplishments, but that isn't something that JB has pushed for.

Yeah I don't think you can look at what we're paying JB as a fair reflection of what we'd be willing to pay an elite head coach

I don't agree that Syracuse is "cheap as hell when it comes to paying salaries." The real determinant is that JB isn't concerned about maximizing his salary, because he feels that he makes great money for the relatively low cost of living in CNY. If he didn't feel that way, I'm sure that the AD would pony up and pay him a market rate commensurate with his reputation / accomplishments, but that isn't something that JB has pushed for.

JB is our Cal Ripken. He could have made more money jumping around or threatening to but he wanted to stay. Using his salary to claim SU is cheap is off-base. SU may, in fact have been cheap but with the move to the ACC, we will be making enough money to pay the sort of salary that would attract top coaches.

I don't think many SU fans know how integral Hop has been to the overall success of this program since he came on board. You're right. He's a hell of a recruiter. He doesn't just hold a clipboard for JB during timeouts.

When JB was out with his prostate cancer, I watched the time-outs and noticed that Bernie Fine was at his usual position on the outside ring during time out and Mike Hopkins had the clipboard, running the show. That told me that Bernie was not the "head coach in waiting, (or even the real interim coach), and that Mike was. I agree that the recruiting picked up big time when he and Troy Weaver took over the recruiting shortly after that. But I suspect that a Shaka Smart or Jay Wright could recruit pretty well here.