Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job

This would obviously suck but it's not exactly like we would struggle to find someone when JB retires. Syracuse is one of the top 10 gigs in the country.

Syracuse is a top 10 program only because of JB and the continuity and resulting consistency he has provided.

We may quarrel with aspects of his coaching style, substitution patterns, etc. But he is an absolute master at program development and maintenance. Think general manager vs coach. Look over the college basketball landscape. For example, in 2003, on our way to the National Championship, we beat Manhattan, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. Only Kansas and Oklahoma State have had consistent success since then. The 1996 Final 4 included Mississippi State and U Mass. Other programs who have had their moments, bot not Syracuse level consistency include Indiana, Illinois, UCLA, Michigan, Wake Forest, Tennessee, West Virginia, Missouri, Memphis and Cincinnati. I could go on. What advantages does Syracuse have that will ensure that we win 20+ pretty much every year? Our climate? Athletic Budget? Location? The Dome and the Melo Center will help. But there are other fine facilities throughout the country.

When JB leaves, we will sink to being an average or, at best, a slightly above average program.

Syracuse is a top 10 program only because of JB and the continuity and resulting consistency he has provided.

We may quarrel with aspects of his coaching style, substitution patterns, etc. But he is an absolute master at program development and maintenance. Think general manager vs coach. Look over the college basketball landscape. For example, in 2003, on our way to the National Championship, we beat Manhattan, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. Only Kansas and Oklahoma State have had consistent success since then. The 1996 Final 4 included Mississippi State and U Mass. Other programs who have had their moments, bot not Syracuse level consistency include Indiana, Illinois, UCLA, Michigan, Wake Forest, Tennessee, West Virginia, Missouri, Memphis and Cincinnati. I could go on. What advantages does Syracuse have that will ensure that we win 20+ pretty much every year? Our climate? Athletic Budget? Location? The Dome and the Melo Center will help. But there are other fine facilities throughout the country.

When JB leaves, we will sink to being an average or, at best, a slightly above average program.

Love JB and agree with much of what you said but this will remain a top program over time and will attract top coaches. There may be some slow periods as even schools like North Carolina and Kentucky have had but we will continue to be one of the hardy perenials of college basketball.

Seriously Syracuse is one of the best jobs in the country and we’d be able to pick from the cream of the coaching crop. From Billy Donovan to John Beilein to Jay Wright to insert name here. Is there really anybody outside of Coack K, Williams, Cal, Pitino or JT3 who’d be out of the question? Crean and Self would be realistic candidates imo.

To start with - Jay Wright doesnt deserve to be included in this group.

Donovan? No way he'd leave Florida where he has enjoyed tremendous success, to come to 'Cuse.
Beilein? Why? Because he coached at LeMoyne once upon a time?
Crean? Self? No way.

All of these guys have reached the proverbial mountain top. They are at programs with great resources, facilities, fans and history. What could SU offer any of them that they don't already have...?

I like your post but think the last sentence is way too pessimistic. While I don't think the job is nearly as attractive as most in this thread do, there's a lot about the program that would make it attractive to a good, cost-effective coach who could keep the 30+ years long momentum of consistency going at least for a decent stretch.

I heard from a friend who knows a guy whose ex-wife dated Marrone's nephew and claims this is true...but this is how rumors get started.
The Buffalo Orangemen.

All the new ACC cash will help with getting a new coach a higher salary when needed (and/or countering any offer from USC), I would think. Right? Hmm.

Love JB and agree with much of what you said but this will remain a top program over time and will attract top coaches. There may be some slow periods as even schools like North Carolina and Kentucky have had but we will continue to be one of the hardy perenials of college basketball.

I tend to agree. I think AccuRater's post above highlights the challenge of replacing iconic coaches, and the results are quite mixed at the collegiate level. It is going to be a huge challenge--no question about that. Syracuse fans are spoiled by JB's consistent success, and the next hire is going to have big shoes to fill to sustain the program.

I tend to agree. I think AccuRater's post above highlights the challenge of replacing iconic coaches, and the results are quite mixed at the collegiate level. It is going to be a huge challenge--no question about that. Syracuse fans are spoiled by JB's consistent success, and the next hire is going to have big shoes to fill to sustain the program.

It also depends on how full the pipeline is. Bill Gutheridge had success at UNC because he had talent left over.

Do you know that? You know what JB's salary is, but do you know what Mike Hopkins or the other assistants make? Maybe JB's salary is low because he'd rather have that money go to good assistants. Wasn't there something several years ago saying that Mike Hopkins was one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country or something like that?

Shandeezy7, you misheard that - Hop is one of the highest paid assistant teachers in the country.

#1 : the top D1 college coaches make A LOT more money than what their universities pay them.
#2 : next coach hired may possibly do worse than JB or our next coach may bring SU even more success.

20130112_kdl_ai8_018.0_standard_730.0.jpg

What would it mean to Syracuse basketball if Mike left the program? Who would be the next possible candidate to take over the program? Hopkins was very candid in a recent interview about the fact that he has looked closely at two other opportunities in the recent past.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-0305-usc-tim-floyd-20130305,0,813960.story

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/3...ead-coaching-job-search-syracuse-mike-hopkins

Don't blame Hop one bit. He's waited a long time. Part of me would like to think that this is a ploy to put some pressure on Boeheim to give him a timeframe for his retirement. But if he does leave, there are plenty of coaches who'll want this job. I'd like to get someone that's young and hungry but also proven. I'd go with Buzz Williams. Smart guy, only 40, getting better and better with just okay talent. Give him a bigger stage and he'll recruit top talent here. He'll be a better pick than the more established coaches long-term.

Don't blame Hop one bit. He's waited a long time. Part of me would like to think that this is a ploy to put some pressure on Boeheim to give him a timeframe for his retirement. But if he does leave, there are plenty of coaches who'll want this job. I'd like to get someone that's young and hungry but also proven. I'd go with Buzz Williams. Smart guy, only 40, getting better and better with just okay talent. Give him a bigger stage and he'll recruit top talent here. He'll be a better pick than the more established coaches long-term.

I just threw up in my mouth (n)

Buzz Williams wouldn't know what to do if he had to recruit high school kids, and not 23 yr old Juco's.

I don't agree that Syracuse is "cheap as hell when it comes to paying salaries." The real determinant is that JB isn't concerned about maximizing his salary, because he feels that he makes great money for the relatively low cost of living in CNY. If he didn't feel that way, I'm sure that the AD would pony up and pay him a market rate commensurate with his reputation / accomplishments, but that isn't something that JB has pushed for.
Exactly. JB never gouged SU because he loves it here, and didn't want to leave. We got the home-town discount. Now, if Hop does leave, we will pretty much have our choice of top-flight candidates. We will have to pay market value, though. That shouldn't be that big a a deal, considering 1) we have paid under market for years and 2) with ACC money coming in, the AD budget would hardly notice the difference between JB's salary and the market rate we'd have to pay.

I hope you are correct.

Incidentally, the Wink is chilling.

Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan

I'd take either but I see no reason for them to leave the schools they are with now.

Honestly, I'd like a young up-and-comer rather than a re-tread. I think SU is the perfect place for a young guy.

With the history and the facilities the new coach would already have a leg up in recruiting. Get someone else's Hopkins (a guy with a solid coaching background, I don't know, someone who's been assistant with Pitino or Roy Williams) or maybe some mid-major coach who's program is just turning the corner.

When JB was out with his prostate cancer, I watched the time-outs and noticed that Bernie Fine was at his usual position on the outside ring during time out and Mike Hopkins had the clipboard, running the show. That told me that Bernie was not the "head coach in waiting, (or even the real interim coach), and that Mike was. I agree that the recruiting picked up big time when he and Troy Weaver took over the recruiting shortly after that. But I suspect that a Shaka Smart or Jay Wright could recruit pretty well here.
Have you seen Nova over the last few years. No thanks.