Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns

He actually wasn't a joke with the Browns. He took them to the playoffs and in his 3rd season after a sizable roster retool. He had a great staff under him and a solid front office. The problem was the owner who sabotaged the 1995 season to cover his own failures in business and ownership.

100% truth. As a Brown's lifer, the pain of that sad day in 1995 still resonates.

Well,IMO they don’t move around so much as they move “up”. SU is not up from UCLA. Then there is the weather.
Debatable. The two places are so incredibly different, that it may depend entirely on a given coach’s perspective.

I’d say they are comparable level b-ball programs with an entirely different list of pros/cons.

I would like to believe that ADJW maintains a next head coach list on his laptop that he refines from time to time. I think he will go through a process that will include internal and external candidates. I feel very confident that he would be willing to sell both the Chancellor and the Board a high end salary candidate, whomever that person would be. I would put high end north of $4mm and I think he would do it without reservations if he thinks the value is there.

Well,IMO they don’t move around so much as they move “up”. SU is not up from UCLA. Then there is the weather.
If weather means so much to college basketball programs then why has Arizona State and Miami sucked for basically their entire existence.

I played junior college ball in Saranac Lake with kids from Miami/Baltimore/Atlanta. Part of the recruiting pitch was that its so cold and snowy you have nothing to do but work on your game for five months of the school year.

Obviously not comparing Syracuse to D3 juco hoops but if the coaches and basketball situation are enticing, it doesn't really matter where the school is to a good chunk of kids. The winters up here definitely does the opposite to our attendance than it does to schools in Miami or LA, too.

I played junior college ball in Saranac Lake with kids from Miami/Baltimore/Atlanta. Part of the recruiting pitch was that its so cold and snowy you have nothing to do but work on your game for five months of the school year.

Obviously not comparing Syracuse to D3 juco hoops but if the coaches and basketball situation are enticing, it doesn't really matter where the school is to a good chunk of kids. The winters up here definitely does the opposite to our attendance than it does to schools in Miami or LA, too.
Right? Everyone on the Devo podcast that mentions snow usually laughs about it - some like Pace mention being shocked at first. These aren’t 45 year olds who have lived here their whole lives and are sick of snow blowing the driveway and shoveling the steps off. They don’t have the same perspectives.

They all seem to talk about the Dome, the fans, how the basketball team is the focus of and talk of the town. You don’t get that atmosphere at too many places.

Alabama basketball is Duke football. We are in a better conference. This isn't even a question whats the better job.

Illinois is not a better program than SU with more prestige or anything. Similar success the last couple decades sure but there isn't anywhere near the fan support or buzz. Self didn't think twice about ditching them for KU. Underwood has his best team ever back and they are underwhelming he might want to leave. They also turn on their coaches very quickly see Bruce Weber. Underwood seems like a job hopper Illinois wasn't a major upgrade over Oklahoma State. SU wouldn't be a huge upgrade but it would be an upgrade nonetheless.
The SEC is not far from supplanting the ACC in hoops. It may have already happened. Add OU and Tex to the list, and it's the deepest league.

If weather means so much to college basketball programs then why has Arizona State and Miami sucked for basically their entire existence.
The premise of my response is that UCLA basketball doesn’t lose coaches to schools like SU. In addition, if it was to even be considered by a coach, other factors would likely keep him at UCLA.
Of course, some folks on this board think Jay Wright might come to Syracuse.

The premise of my response is that UCLA basketball doesn’t lose coaches to schools like SU. In addition, if it was to even be considered by a coach, other factors would likely keep him at UCLA.
UCLA doesn't lose coaches to anyone period is more accurate. They get fired.

And I don't know any intelligent person who still believes that regarding Jay Wright.

Syracuse hasn’t had a job opening in 45 years. We don’t know who might lose their coach to us. There’s no precedent.

We’ll see what happens. It would seem to be a highly sought after job for a lot of basketball coaches.

The SEC is not far from supplanting the ACC in hoops. It may have already happened. Add OU and Tex to the list, and it's the deepest league.
Yea.

ACC isn’t getting much support from us outside of the 3 tournament runs years most people thought we’d be in the NIT. The ACC could really use a strong SU program with the other northern teams being trash right now.

But even if you are correct wouldn’t you want to be at an SEC school that pretends to care about hoops if not Kentucky maybe Tennessee? The bride is the football team it doesn’t matter how good Oats looks he’s a second class citizen there and the bridesmaid. Syracuse is the opposite.

Yea.

ACC isn’t getting much support from us outside of the 3 tournament runs years most people thought we’d be in the NIT. The ACC could really use a strong SU program with the other northern teams being trash right now.

But even if you are correct wouldn’t you want to be at an SEC school that pretends to care about hoops if not Kentucky maybe Tennessee? The bride is the football team it doesn’t matter how good Oats looks he’s a second class citizen there and the bridesmaid. Syracuse is the opposite.
UNC and Duke should be in contention for high seeds every year, and Syracuse and Louisville should be there most years. And Virginia too, now.

I’m furious that we haven’t pulled our weight.

UNC and Duke should be in contention for high seeds every year, and Syracuse and Louisville should be there most years. And Virginia too, now.

I’m furious that we haven’t pulled our weight.
Ditto. We are no longer a thought on the national scene. We’re not much of a factor in the ACC. It’s sad how far this program has fallen.

You played at north country? Wow small world

I'm calling it now: Red gets hired and Hop comes back as his assistant.

I'm calling it now: Red gets hired and Hop comes back as his assistant.

If Hop still wants to be a head coach, not sure that's a good move for him. NBA assistant i could see but not college. He could still get a lower level head job based on his Pac 12 coy awards and his recruiting rep.

If Hop still wants to be a head coach, not sure that's a good move for him. NBA assistant i could see but not college. He could still get a lower level head job based on his Pac 12 coy awards and his recruiting rep.
EnviroSciGuy seems pretty sure about it. Sounds like it's a done deal.

I would hope we could do a lot better than Cooley. Talk about mediocre.
Really? College basketball people love Ed Cooley. He’s HIGHLY regarded and has done really well at PC with a lot less resources than SU. Michigan tried to pry him away from PC a few years ago but they went with Juwan Howard instead because of alumni pressure.

Last edited:
Really? I don’t think you know what you’re talking about. College basketball people love Ed Cooley. He’s HIGHLY regarded and has done really well at PC with a lot less resources than SU. Michigan tried to pry him away from PC a few years ago but they went with Juwan Howard instead because of alumni pressure.
What has he ever won in the Big East or NCAA?