Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins to the Phoenix Suns

It's never too late. Maybe a Syracusefan tie? If there isn't one, there should be...

P.S. who would you think is in charge of Syracusefan.com apparel?
All proceeds go into an NIL fund?

Quade’s issues were of his own making and it’s clear that derails the UW season.

but by all means, fire Hop.
Which is why Boeheim defenders are so loyal to Boeheim. However, as a decades long Boeheim defender(I'm JB's age) there comes a time the years catch up. I'd go with Hop in a heartbeat.

Which is why Boeheim defenders are so loyal to Boeheim. However, as a decades long Boeheim defender(I'm JB's age) there comes a time the years catch up. I'd go with Hop in a heartbeat.
I thought you were some young guy who just became a fan and found SyrFan.

I became a fan at the 1958 Pitt-SU game in old Archie. Ditka set the stadium record for receptions that day. We won the game with a quick kick-3 and out-then a FG of 35 yards, the latter being a stadium record. Pitt then drove the field and Fogarty knocked down a pass in the end zone to save the game. I was hooked.

I remember Davis and Mackey playing BASKETBALL for Syracuse.

144%

Hiring from within and expecting different results fits the definition of insanity.
I disagree entirely. We've gone 30 games UNDER 500 since the fans and alum ran Coach P out of here. Great job, boys. Given from whence Syracuse came in basketball, I think we've got a damn fine program and Hop was part of one of my favorite teams. I think continuity can be a big factor in recruiting.

I disagree entirely. We've gone 30 games UNDER 500 since the fans and alum ran Coach P out of here. Great job, boys. Given from whence Syracuse came in basketball, I think we've got a damn fine program and Hop was part of one of my favorite teams. I think continuity can be a big factor in recruiting.
The fans and alums had nothing to do with Coach p being ridden off, it was an incompetent chancellor and an imbecile of an athletic director making a poor, impulsive decision.

Besides that, the situation isn't remotely comparable. The basketball team has all of the correct foundational pieces of the puzzle in place for a rapid turnaround, with the right infusion of energy and new ideas. What's holding us back is having a geriatric coach who isn't willing to put fourth the required effort to recruit at the highest level, and who has grown increasingly out of touch with what it takes to relate to contemporary players. Which comes as no surprise, and isn't a black mark, given that he's nearly 80 years old

The football team in 2004 did not have the infrastructure foundation in place to be successful, and it cost us. And that situation was exacerbated by making the worst hire possible, bringing in an incredibly incompetent head coach to supplant coach p.

Apples and oranges.

Last edited:
The fans and alums had nothing to do with Coach p being ridden off, it was an incompetent chancellor and an imbecile of an athletic director making a poor, impulsive decision.

Besides that, the situation isn't remotely comparable. The basketball team has all of the correct foundational pieces of the puzzle in place for a rapid turnaround, with the right infusion of energy and new ideas. What's holding us back is having a geriatric coach who isn't willing to put fourth the required effort to recruit at the highest level, and who has grown increasingly out of touch with what it takes to relate to contemporary players. Which comes as no surprise, and isn't a black mark, given that he's nearly 80 years old

The football team in 2004 did not have the infrastructure foundation in place to be successful, and it cost us. And that situation was exacerbated by making the worst hire possible, bringing in an incredibly incompetent head coach to supplant coach p.

Apples and oranges.I agree
I agree with the incompetence. They let the fans and alum run "P" out of here. I was around the precursor to this board back in the day. I know where the pressure on the admin came from. A couple of players can turnaround a basketball team because you only play five at once. The recruiting issues at Syracuse have always been the same.

Last edited:
continuity of what? mediocrity? these kids don't even remember that Hop coached with JB at this point, let alone remember the specific teams.

continuity of what? mediocrity? these kids don't even remember that Hop coached with JB at this point, let alone remember the specific teams.
No the continuity of tsking care of our own.

No the continuity of tsking care of our own.
For the sake of the program? That's crazy. You won't find a bigger Hopkins supporter than me. I truly mean that. With the way things ended when he was here there is no guarantee he would even come back. The school should have made JB stick to his agreement. Hop and JB were disagreeing over numerous things towards the end of his stay here. Hop was right on almost all of it. I'll leave it at that. I want the best for Hop and that would most likely be to turn it around and UW and build something there.

For the sake of the program? That's crazy. You won't find a bigger Hopkins supporter than me. I truly mean that. With the way things ended when he was here there is no guarantee he would even come back. The school should have made JB stick to his agreement. Hop and JB were disagreeing over numerous things towards the end of his stay here. Hop was right on almost all of it. I'll leave it at that. I want the best for Hop and that would most likely be to turn it around and UW and build something there.
What were the disagreements about? Lack of athleticism in recruiting? Other recruiting issues? I know they disagreed over Frank Howard.