Mike Hopkins vs The Fighting Sobecuse’s | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins vs The Fighting Sobecuse’s

That is what cost Hop the USC job. I think Hop is better off in UW
I know strange reason to hire someone. I mean hasn’t beaten Georgetown in the first round of the tournament

I didn't bet the game but I was rooting for USC very badly. Living where I do, I know a lot of P.C. fans who are disgusting. Not as bad as UConn fans but they try hard to get there

Ouch. Those were close games on the floor and in Vegas prior.

He has taken a team that only had 10 wins last year with the overall #1 draft pick, list a consensus top 5 recruit in the transition and is now 12-3 with wins @USC and essentially @ Kansas.

He might be a decent coach.

I've watched all of the UW games this year. The way this team has improved since the first game is downright scary. Early I made the proclamation that Hop didn't have much talent to work with. Now, I'm not sure that's true. My original assessments of the team's talent were based on the early games where Hop was using players that had Romar-esque incompetence ingrained in them. Now that Hop is getting them to buy in to his system and actually COACHING them, you can see the talent.

That UW/USC game was a ton of fun to watch. To be 100% honest, I've had more fun this year watching UW than SU this season (and that's saying a lot because this has been the most enjoyable SU team to watch in several years). I love how Hop uses his bench. His players are fresh at the end of games, no one is playing 40 minutes for 5 games in the a row. He's been masterful with the way he's brought along his freshmen and integrated them with the existing players.

UW runs all of the base Boeheim offensive sets but Hop clearly has put in a lot of his own offense. There is much better off-ball movement for the Huskies than the Orange, and they share the ball really well. The offensive sets aren't as 'all or nothing' as Boeheim sets... most of them have a secondary or tertiary option to them if the main option is cut off.

I really like that Mike pushes tempo and his guard up top apply more pressure - the tempo of the games he has coached so far is excellent. It's fun basketball to watch (although to be honest I think some of that is just that West Coast hoops is inherently more uptempo than East Coast hoops).

I really wish we were going to see Hop coach at Syracuse next year.

Mason

This board would rip Crisp incessantly, but when he's on, he is awesome.

This board would flatout hate Crisp.

UW needs a real point guard and they need better defensive rebounding. Those are their biggest weaknesses right now. Arizona is going to demolish them on the boards, and aggressive defenses will turn them over 18+ times.

Last edited:
How is it a terrific win? USC isn't good. The Pac 12 is shaky outside of Arizona State and Zona

How is it not? Hop wins his first ever conference road game, with a team that was 9-22 last year (with the #1 pick of the NBA draft) and only won 2 conference games all season? That is the very definition of a terrific win considering where the program was before Romar was fired, and that it's basically the same personnel as last year minus Fultz (replaced by Nowell).

Also, USC's record isn't great but they have some serious talent with Boatright and Metu. If they get better play out of Stewart and McClaughlan they can make a run. I still wouldn't be surprised to see them in the tourney.

Great win for Hop and UW. They're playing hard for him and it's paying off with wins. I have to say that I'm overwhelming happy for the start of his head coaching career. For some of us, he'll always be family. I'd love to see UW make the NCAA's this year, perhaps making Hopkins the coach of the year on some level. Best wishes Mike...

How is it a terrific win? USC isn't good. The Pac 12 is shaky outside of Arizona State and Zona

You sound upset that Hop is doing well. Sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom