Mike McQueary... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike McQueary...

Everyone has different responses, what would I have done I would like to think I would have picked up a baseball bat and connected with Sandusky head. The problem is who knows the thought of seeing that are fairly horrific and perhaps I'd end up in shock too when I saw someone I respected engaged in that act.

But you're talking about the initial response, right? I mean, OK, fine, the guy panicked and called his old man. I hope I would do differently and, as the father of three boys, I'm a little angry he didn't at least come up with some excuse to stop the on-going rape, but fine. But then, knowing what you saw, to go ahead and just keep on working and rubbing shoulders with the guy for more than a decade? I have to hope at some point we'd all realize, "wait, is this being swept under the rug? Is he really not going to jail for this? Shouldn't a police cruiser have been at his house or the football facilities? Is he really giving a big ol' hug to that disadvantaged kid at this awesome golf tournament?

Even if you're selfish -- you've got one hell of a tell-all about the PSU empire in you.

I don't know, you just have to look out for kids caught in that miserable vortex. I don't care what the law or employment handbook says.

There are alot who I assign more blame to than MM first how about the scum bag dads who have no relationship with their kids so the kids have to go to a charity for a positive male role model.

There are alot who I assign more blame to than MM first how about the scum bag dads who have no relationship with their kids so the kids have to go to a charity for a positive male role model.

OK. Not sure what they have to do with MM but I suppose it would be great if all kids had great dads as well.

I honestly believe that McQueary's actions (or lack there of) reflect what about 90% of people would have done had they been in his exact same circumstances.

I dont believe that for a second... 90%? I'd say its the other way around... 40% would have dragged Sandusky off on the spot, 50% would have ran out and called the cops, and 10% would have pulled a MM...

I honestly believe that McQueary's actions (or lack there of) reflect what about 90% of people would have done had they been in his exact same circumstances.

I don't think anyone should be expected to be a hero and physically stop it from happening. That isn't fair to ask. But, I don't think it's unfair to expect someone to call 911 immediately.

Also, he knew what he saw - and yet he also knew that Sandusky was bringing kids to the PSU campus long after he saw what he saw. I'd love if he were able to explain himself, just to have some idea of the psychology of his actions.

OK. Not sure what they have to do with MM but I suppose it would be great if all kids had great dads as well.
I am just saying that there are many more people who deserve scorn than MM starting with Jerry Sandusky et al. Hell I think the dad's who abondoned those kids are just as guilty as Sandusky for putting them in the situation that they needed male role models.

Not at all fair to second guess Mike McQuery. Who knows what anyone would have done if they were in that same situation. I have worked in public schools. There is a set guideline for dealing with these kinds of issues. It is not to get on the phone and start calling police. That is way to simple a response. McQuery followed protocol. I have two sons, they would probably have called me too. He encounters an horrific scene, you call the people you trust...

I am just saying that there are many more people who deserve scorn than MM starting with Jerry Sandusky et al. Hell I think the dad's who abondoned those kids are just as guilty as Sandusky for putting them in the situation that they needed male role models.
I'd be willing to guess that even the fathers that abandoned their children would beat the crap out of JS if they caught him in the shower. Abandoning kids is bad, preying on them because of that is worse.

Not at all fair to second guess Mike McQuery. Who knows what anyone would have done if they were in that same situation. I have worked in public schools. There is a set guideline for dealing with these kinds of issues. It is not to get on the phone and start calling police. That is way to simple a response. McQuery followed protocol. I have two sons, they would probably have called me too. He encounters an horrific scene, you call the people you trust...

And when the people you trust clearly didn't do anything about it, do you just go back to work? And stay there another year? And another? And another? All the while seeing the horrific criminal around the school, around the town. Not in any trouble. So you just keep working for the people who you know covered it up, because you followed the protocol?

That's my problem with McQueary. And I think it's completely fair to second guess that part. Wonder if he saved all his money, knowing when this came out, jobs would be hard to come by.

I wouldn't want to be MM on the day his son asks, "Dad, why didn't you help that kid?"

Hell I think the dad's who abondoned those kids are just as guilty as Sandusky for putting them in the situation that they needed male role models.
Are you assuming that all of the boys were abandoned by their fathers? Is it possible that the father might be dead, seriously ill, in prison? You paint with way too broad a brush.

And, even if that kid in the shower was abandoned, how can you equate that abandonment with pedophilia?

Let's pose two different scenarios:

1. MM walks in on this assault taking place at the local YMCA, and the perpetrator is a complete stranger

2. MM, working to become a coach at his alma mater, walks into said school's football locker room and witnesses a "respected" former coach sexually assaulting a young boy

I pose that in case #1, MM not only calls the police, but he intervenes...thus becoming the hero.

I pose that in case #2, MM may have thought about calling the cops, but the thoughts of self preservation and becoming a pariah in the PSU community made him hesitate and resulted in the call to his father. He called his dad, I'm sure, partly out of guilt, and partly out of "HOLY , what do I do?"

He was afraid of Paterno and his future status in that storied program, pure and simple. The "culture" had a lot to do with his lack of direct action that day. I firmly believe that. He has to live with that lack of action for the rest of his life. I don't think for a minute he felt, or still feels, he did everything he could have done that day. I bet he wishes he could do it over now that he knows what Paterno did to cover the thing up. He sold his soul that day for "Paterno's Program".

Junkie, you'd have to call someone as you would've been a mandated reporter. As far as MM goes, it seems to me that he must not have a conscience. How he could look at Sandusky after what he saw him do and not want to throttle his neck is beyond me. How he could work for Paterno and still follow his leadership after he dropped the ball is beyond me. I guess that PSU football vortex is one f'ed up place to be. No wonder that the NCAA is trying to blow up that sort of culture there. Hearing the responses of other Paterno devotees, many still have their heads in the sand and somehow think the players and the fans are the true victims.

He did what he was required to do nothing more nothing less. You are not required to get involved when something happens.
Depending on the statute, he may have had a duty to see that a report was filed with PA's Social Services

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Let's pose two different scenarios:

1. MM walks in on this assault taking place at the local YMCA, and the perpetrator is a complete stranger

2. MM, working to become a coach at his alma mater, walks into said school's football locker room and witnesses a "respected" former coach sexually assaulting a young boy

I pose that in case #1, MM not only calls the police, but he intervenes...thus becoming the hero.

I pose that in case #2, MM may have thought about calling the cops, but the thoughts of self preservation and becoming a pariah in the PSU community made him hesitate and resulted in the call to his father. He called his dad, I'm sure, partly out of guilt, and partly out of "HOLY ****, what do I do?"

He was afraid of Paterno and his future status in that storied program, pure and simple. The "culture" had a lot to do with his lack of direct action that day. I firmly believe that. He has to live with that lack of action for the rest of his life. I don't think for a minute he felt, or still feels, he did everything he could have done that day. I bet he wishes he could do it over now that he knows what Paterno did to cover the thing up. He sold his soul that day for "Paterno's Program".

This is a perfect explaination of what probably went through his mind. We all know that no decisions were made without JoePa's knowledge/input when it came to the football program. In the Penn St culture I am sure he was conflicted on what to do...call the cops without going to JoePa first and potentially anger the king of the realm or seek the "wisdom" and "guidance" of the king first? He took the latter route and when the king says he will take care of it, you don't questions the king.

A lot of Penn St fans are angry at the NCAA and don't understand what the NCAA means when they talk about changing the culture, however if this chapter of this horrid story is a perfect example of what the NCAA was talking about...

He has to live with that lack of action for the rest of his life. I don't think for a minute he felt, or still feels, he did everything he could have done that day. I bet he wishes he could do it over now that he knows what Paterno did to cover the thing up. He sold his soul that day for "Paterno's Program".

Or maybe he wishes he never walked into the shower when he heard the slapping noises. He probably expected to find one of football players getting busy with a girl. I'll bet walking in on Sandusky is the thing he wishes most for a do-over.

If i'm not mistaken Penn State may have been behind the death of a District attorney who was thinking about reopening the case against Sandusky. Think about that before you throw MM under the bus.

If i'm not mistaken Penn State may have been behind the death of a District attorney who was thinking about reopening the case against Sandusky. Think about that before you throw MM under the bus.

No. You are way off base.

No. You are way off base.

I didn't mean that they would have hurt Mcquery I meant to show with that the culture of fear and how MM was probably too scared to do anything and that helps show just how much power the football program held.

Sandusky was actually acquitted of the charge relating to the shower incident, no?

So, while reporting it may/would have brought an investigation and led to greater discoveries and helped stop subsequent abuse, technically McQueary had no crime to report.

Sandusky was actually acquitted of the charge relating to the shower incident, no?

So, while reporting it may/would have brought an investigation and led to greater discoveries and helped stop subsequent abuse, technically McQueary had no crime to report.

I believe he was acquitted because they couldn't find the boy. Of course, no one bothered to learn the name of the boy, and I believe sandusky even offered to name him to the Fantastic Four when they did the humane thing and didn't report him to the police.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom