Mike Veley's Finest Moment | Syracusefan.com

Mike Veley's Finest Moment

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Yes, he struggles with pronouncing player names, infuriates players with his nicknames and saddens all Syracuse fans with his insistence on using bad rhymes when trying to be the PA at SU football and basketball games.

But he isn't all bad. He did something in 1995 that was positive. While I have never personally enjoyed the fruits of his work, my nieces appreciate what he did that day.

Taco Time enters 20th season as Syracuse basketball staple

Yes, he struggles with pronouncing player names, infuriates players with his nicknames and saddens all Syracuse fans with his insistence on using bad rhymes when trying to be the PA at SU football and basketball games.

But he isn't all bad. He did something in 1995 that was positive. While I have never personally enjoyed the fruits of his work, my nieces appreciate what he did that day.

Taco Time enters 20th season as Syracuse basketball staple

Wait... any examples of unfuriating players with nicknames?

Wait... any examples of unfuriating players with nicknames?
Mike used to insist on calling Craig Forth, "Craig, May The Force Be With You". That was how he was introduced in the pregame player introductions for years.

Craig got madder and madder as this continued on and on until he complained to someone as the introductions were being made. They went over to Veley and dressed him down in public, while he was sitting in front of the microphone. I think it might have been JB himself.

Mike used to insist on calling Craig Forth, "Craig, May The Force Be With You". That was how he was introduced in the pregame player introductions for years.

Craig got madder and madder as this continued on and on until he complained to someone as the introductions were being made. They went over to Veley and dressed him down in public, while he was sitting in front of the microphone. I think it might have been JB himself.

awesome. never heard that story. love it.

One of the better professors I had while at SU.

I may be way out of line but, if I’m right, Nike had a Twitter promotion for fans to make their choice for the shirt that year that they called Campus Roar? I remember being disappointed mine didn’t make it, but was pleased that the taco theme did cuz it’s worthy. I was thinking old school with the “Amen” song at the end of games. Here is my twitter pic that nike sent back.
F147518C-B73A-46DF-9B0C-6D98B5C16AD1.jpeg

The best Veley moment is when he got dressed down during a game by JB against Notre Dame in 2014 when he kept announcing Trevor Cooney was close to 3 point record in a game.
Cooney kept gunning for the record and JB pounded the table at Veley to shut up.

He may be a good marketer but he IMO legitimately is the worse PA guy in the nation. His insistence to talk more than just the minimum is infuriating.

Last edited:
The best Veley moment is when he got undressed down during a game by JB against Notre Dame in 2014 when he kept announcing Trevor Cooney was close to 3 point record in a game.
Cooney kept gunning for the record and JB pounded the table at Veley to shut up.

He may be a good marketer but he IMO legitimately is the worse PA guy in the nation. His insistence to talk more than just the minimum is infuriating.

Also once announced that someone (West Virginia?) had just set a Dome record for lowest field goal percentage in a first half. Boeheim went berserk.

Not much positive to say about Veley's announcing. Nobody wants a PA guy to editorialize or cheer, much less in a rhyme scheme. His shtick diminishes the atmosphere. "Shove from above" after an exciting breakaway dunk kills the vibe.

Also once announced that someone (West Virginia?) had just set a Dome record for lowest field goal percentage in a first half. Boeheim went berserk.

Not much positive to say about Veley's announcing. Nobody wants a PA guy to editorialize or cheer, much less in a rhyme scheme. His shtick diminishes the atmosphere. "Shove from above" after an exciting breakaway dunk kills the vibe.
During a football game against WVU under Rich-Rod one year Veley announced the holder was the backup QB and not the normal holder. It alerted WVU something was up and a fake FG was sniffed out.
Somebody should tell Veley less is more.

Didn't realize people hated his announcing. He adds some personality to a position that doesn't have much of it.

Doesn't Veley say "block!" after an SU player records a block? Totally unnecessary.

The free food goes way back to Manley Fieldhouse.
If the Orange scored 100 points (back in the PRE-shot clock days when that was not uncommon) free French fries at the original Jabberwocky beneath Kimmel Dining Hall.
Once the score got into the 90's the chant started, "French fires! French fries! French fries!"
The place was filled with happy greasy fans.

Didn't realize people hated his announcing. He adds some personality to a position that doesn't have much of it.
I am sure he is a good professor and the work he has done with the Falk school is outstanding.
He just loves the sound of his voice as the PA guy. He says way too much and honestly makes the basketball in game experience worse.

we were always thrilled to see sonny spera score . but mostly it was about the fries.
(back when they were delicious and fried in tasty tallow and not light vegetable oil)

makes craig forth seem lame to me. I think that's a great nickname.

we were always thrilled to see sonny spera score . but mostly it was about the fries.
(back when they were delicious and fried in tasty tallow and not light vegetable oil)
And they had to score 100.

He sucks. That is all. Not sure which is worse: him or the ushers

I was damn near giddy when I went to the exhibition game the other night and Velry wasn't doing the PA. It was another gentlemen who has done a lot of VO work for the university.

I thought maybe he had retired.

As someone had mentioned above, I thought JB was going to strangle and skin him alive after he announced just after the first half ended..."ladies and gentlemen, West Virginia's (??) 14 points are a record for fewest first half points ever scored by an opponent in the Carrier Dome".

JB was walking off the court with the team headed for the locker room...he did a 180...sprinted down to where Veley was sitting and started screaming...then walked down to where Jake C was sitting and started screaming at him. It was great.

Also want to give a shout out to the 4-5 fans in section 310 that shout every game when he says "shooting a deuce for the Cuse".