Mike Veley's Finest Moment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Veley's Finest Moment

During a football game against WVU under Rich-Rod one year Veley announced the holder was the backup QB and not the normal holder. It alerted WVU something was up and a fake FG was sniffed out.
Somebody should tell Veley less is more.
There was also a moment when backup Kicker John Barker ran on for a fake punt play against South Florida I think. Maybe lined up as a gunner. Can’t remember the details but Veley announced his name and we were all like what dàfuq

Last edited:
I've said it before, but I rarely ever hear him or pay attention to him. He obviously bothers a lot of people, but I legitimately don't even hear the things he's saying so I can't be bothered by them. Do you guys and gals who are bothered by him sit in the lower levels (where maybe it's easier to hear)? Or do you actively try to listen to him?

I was damn near giddy when I went to the exhibition game the other night and Velry wasn't doing the PA. It was another gentlemen who has done a lot of VO work for the university.

I thought maybe he had retired.

As someone had mentioned above, I thought JB was going to strangle and skin him alive after he announced just after the first half ended..."ladies and gentlemen, West Virginia's (??) 14 points are a record for fewest first half points ever scored by an opponent in the Carrier Dome".

JB was walking off the court with the team headed for the locker room...he did a 180...sprinted down to where Veley was sitting and started screaming...then walked down to where Jake C was sitting and started screaming at him. It was great.

Also want to give a shout out to the 4-5 fans in section 310 that shout every game when he says "shooting a deuce for the Cuse".

Another classic was one time he introduced Terrence Roberts as "Terry Roberts." Terrence walked over, looked at him and said "don't ever call me Terry again."

I've said it before, but I rarely ever hear him or pay attention to him. He obviously bothers a lot of people, but I legitimately don't even hear the things he's saying so I can't be bothered by them. Do you guys and gals who are bothered by him sit in the lower levels (where maybe it's easier to hear)? Or do you actively try to listen to him?

Total speculation but it’s possible that on TV or a stream he’s easier to hear than actually at the Dome in person. The acoustics are so bad in there. The TV cameras/mics down low can possibly make him more understandable. I hear him enough on TV and his schtick, style, tone is so corny and annoying.

Didn't realize people hated his announcing. He adds some personality to a position that doesn't have much of it.

Who is that in your avatar picture? WOW! Is that Ciara?

The guy does a good job for the university but as a PA guy he hurts the in game experience by trying way too hard to be part of the experience.

If he just toned it down and said a lot less he would be okay. His schtick is not popular and he doesn’t learn.

Less is more. Start emulating Carl Eilenberg and not Dr. Seuss.

Got to say I'm with you on this one. It's not that I deliberately tune him out but I only listen if I'm looking for an explanation on a call or other on court action.