Mike Waters has today's practice report | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters has today's practice report

Seriously? I wouldn't be surprised if he's completely out of the rotation.
I do hope that was said with tongue-in-cheek. While everyone was touting CJ as the 4 Rak seems a more fitting placement there. We need rebounding and blocking as well as scoring from that position and while Rak hasn't got a history of scoring at this point he has a great resume for rebounding and blocked shots ... I believe the scoring will come if Fab and BMK can show significant improvement at the post. I love CJ and he will get significant pt ... both at the 4 but, I believe, mostly backing up KJo. I think the experiment will begin with Rak at the 4 and if heis not productive than CJ will fill more and more time a that position.

I do hope that was said with tongue-in-cheek. While everyone was touting CJ as the 4 Rak seems a more fitting placement there. We need rebounding and blocking as well as scoring from that position and while Rak hasn't got a history of scoring at this point he has a great resume for rebounding and blocked shots ... I believe the scoring will come if Fab and BMK can show significant improvement at the post. I love CJ and he will get significant pt ... both at the 4 but, I believe, mostly backing up KJo. I think the experiment will begin with Rak at the 4 and if heis not productive than CJ will fill more and more time a that position.

We do this every year with freshmen. HE HAS NO RESUME. He has never played this competition. Believe me, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and Nobody would be happier if he is a solid player right away. I don't see it.

Agreed

Agreed, but we did see JB stretch a bit last season, maybe that continues this season. Still even if he went 8.5/9 looking at our roster thats still going to leave a couple of pretty good players glued to the pine.

The important thing is that there be true competition for positions, and if guys aren't playing well, that they be pulled. If JB just does those things (which he hasn't always done over the years), everything will work itself out. It's when there are perceptions of favoritism (real or imagined) that you have problems on a team.

We do this every year with freshmen. HE HAS NO RESUME. He has never played this competition. Believe me, if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and Nobody would be happier if he is a solid player right away. I don't see it.
I completely agree and am more than confident that it will be a mistake to start Xmas. This team needs CJ to play double the minutes of Xmas. Better in every aspect of the game and is seasoned. This isn't a kid that has to come in and start that's for sure.

I completely agree and am more than confident that it will be a mistake to start Xmas. This team needs CJ to play double the minutes of Xmas. Better in every aspect of the game and is seasoned. This isn't a kid that has to come in and start that's for sure.

CJ will play more minutes than Xmas.

Sent from my DROIDX

The important thing is that there be true competition for positions, and if guys aren't playing well, that they be pulled. If JB just does those things (which he hasn't always done over the years), everything will work itself out. It's when there are perceptions of favoritism (real or imagined) that you have problems on a team.

I agreed and I think we eill have that type of competition for the rotational spots this year as well as quality players on the bench at each position if needed.

X will start at the 4 so that KJ can start at the 3, as that will be his pro-spot. CJ will spell both X and KJ. I think that James will get limited minutes, (basing it SOLELY on what I saw last year) and Mook might not get off the bench based on him be Boehiemed. ( I don't know how many times I yelled at the tv last year that Mookie goes under the screens and gives up the 3 just as well as Dion and Brandon, and can shoot better, so why doesn't he get in.).

I'd like Mike Waters a lot more if he had sideburns.

Is that the first indication that Christmas is going to start? I didn't realize it until I looked at that second 5, saw CJ Fair in there and tried to figure out who the power forward would be in the first 5.

The most important thing out of the 4 is rebounding and defense. DC,Wallace,Blackwell,Owens when DC played center,Warwick THE BLOCK, Jackson last three years.

Warwick? Guys, do we have Len Elmore posting here now?

I agree completely. I also have to admit, with a fair bit of shame, that four years ago I was saying exactly the same words about Jonny Flynn and the possibility that he'd take Josh Wright's starting job.

So I probably had better not make any rash predictions.

I agree completely. I also have to admit, with a fair bit of shame, that four years ago I was saying exactly the same words about Jonny Flynn and the possibility that he'd take Josh Wright's starting job.

So I probably had better not make any rash predictions.

Wow, was I wrong. I guess Christmas is better than everybody else. What a great argument to bring up- Flynn over Josh Wright. The similarities are stunning.

The Coach will not Play 10 Players,Sad but true----- Unless he goes to a 2nd team like Dean Smith did in 1975 (A Blue Team) SU Fans know how that turned out

Wow, was I wrong. I guess Christmas is better than everybody else. What a great argument to bring up- Flynn over Josh Wright. The similarities are stunning.
Huh?

lol christmas will start

JB does have a very tough job. Unless he has totally remade his ways, which I highly doubt, some of those kids are going to be very disappointed about PT. I'm not even going to guess who won't be in the rotation at BE time.

We have 12 guys. Melo, Keita and Christmas will play at the 4-5 because we need them. Fair will play the 3 & 4. Joseph will start. Southerland will have to take advantage of whatever playing time he gets. The triumverate of Jardine, Triche and Waiters will get most of the playing time in the backcourt. We may see some of MCW but we don't really need him this year. Same for Cooney. Mookie will be a cheerleader. In curnch time, JB will have probably 8 guys he trust to be in there. Southerland and Jones will have had their chance and Carter-Williams and Cooney will have to wait their turn. And they will know it.

We have 12 guys. Melo, Keita and Christmas will play at the 4-5 because we need them. Fair will play the 3 & 4. Joseph will start. Southerland will have to take advantage of whatever playing time he gets. The triumverate of Jardine, Triche and Waiters will get most of the playign time in the backcourt. We may see some o f MCW but we don't really need him this year. Same for Cooney. Mookie will be a cheer leader. In curnch time, JB will have probalby 8 guys he trust to be in there. Southerland and Jones will have had their chance and Carter-Williams and Cooney will have to wait their turn. And they will know it.

Not much to argue here but I think MCW will force JB to use him

We don't do this every year with 6'10" McD AA's. Last year with Melo doesn't really count because we had no other options besides a much lesser touted freshman in Keita. No one was saying that Waiters would come in and start (until BT began his swoon). I love CJ's game, he may be the glue to this team even next year. But Rak makes much more sense at the 4 than CJ.

Not much to argue here but I think MCW will force JB to use him
I agree. I think no matter how small the rotation becomes MCW and Rak will be a part of it. Both of their games provide more overall than James & Mookie. Cooney will compete with Mookie for gunner off the bench minutes. Hard to see a rotation less than 9 unless an opponent trends to the big or small side of overall size.