Mikel Jones... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mikel Jones...

I'm surprised and happy to see our guys getting ranked in these things. Maybe I'm jaded because I'm just not used to us having good enough players in such a long time to be placed on many lists, but I don't trust any of these websites because any joe schmo can claim they're an expert despite being clueless. It'll be fun to watch these guys this year and I'll be interested to see the analysis from the respected draft gurus afterward.

Kind of surprised a national brand hasn’t sponsored 50 athletes at a certain position across college. Maybe I missed but 25k a kid or something. Would be a great marketing idea for companies that jump on it.

BGB is full of crap but it is nice to see Syracuse players get some national recognition.

Here is his list of the top OLBs. Payton Wilson of NC State has to be the top OLB in the ACC and in the top 5 in the country.

Bumper Pool is my favorite non SU player. What a name!

Love seeing our guys on these lists, and very deserving. Best LB trio we've had in quite some time.

BGB is full of crap but it is nice to see Syracuse players get some national recognition.

Here is his list of the top OLBs. Payton Wilson of NC State has to be the top OLB in the ACC and in the top 5 in the country.

That's awesome. Of course, the only name we'll hear all year on all the shows will be Anderson. Yes, he's great and all, but would be nice if the "experts" talk more than just about him.

Thompson’s our next NFL legend on d. Mark my words

I love our LB's. Amazing that there is not one single Buckeye on these two LB lists with all of the talent they have.

I really want to see the CuseLB's improve in the turnovers caused department. We need to make this more of an emphasis in 2022. Our yards allowed was great but we need to create more big plays like we did just one year pryor. Not sure why that has decreased so much especially considering we feel we had great corners, linebackers and a defensive line in 2021. We were 129th out of 130 teams in the turnover department. I'm sure part of that was we didn't score all that much so teams could be a bit more conservative on offense. We were 8th in turnovers in 2020. I was going to say the main difference I would guess is safety losses with Cisco and Trill but they only got 2 INT's total and no FF's in 2020, mainly because they only played in 7 games total between them.

2021 FF INT
7 4
2020 FF INT
13 12

I love our LB's. Amazing that there is not one single Buckeye on these two LB lists with all of the talent they have.

I really want to see the CuseLB's improve in the turnovers caused department. We need to make this more of an emphasis in 2022. Our yards allowed was great but we need to create more big plays like we did just one year pryor. Not sure why that has decreased so much especially considering we feel we had great corners, linebackers and a defensive line in 2021. We were 129th out of 130 teams in the turnover department. I'm sure part of that was we didn't score all that much so teams could be a bit more conservative on offense. We were 8th in turnovers in 2020. I was going to say the main difference I would guess is safety losses with Cisco and Trill but they only got 2 INT's total and no FF's in 2020, mainly because they only played in 7 games total between them.

2021 FF INT
7 4
2020 FF INT
13 12
3 reasons Iffy, Cisco, and Trill.

2021 FF INT
7 4
2020 FF INT
13 12
Have to force more bad throws. The defense was good at making stops and in coverage. But we need to be more disruptive in the backfield.

2021 FF INT
7 4
2020 FF INT
13 12
All teams emphasis takeaways and spend time on them. Sometimes its just a matter of effort and some luck.

All teams emphasis takeaways and spend time on them. Sometimes its just a matter of effort and some luck.
That’s certainly part of it but seems strange going from the top to the bottom. Would think we still had the same effort.

And our DL was basically the same both years. Just seems a bit strange. I think a big part of it is the QB’s we had played against last year we’re pretty good. This year will be just as difficult in that regard unfortunately.

I am happy for Mikel, and I think his place in the next NFL draft will confirm this ranking.

Surprised Thompson and Wax were not rated. Thompson is certainly a top 100 LB and Wax is right there behind him. The commandos really dropped the ball here.

Yeah both of those two are going to make some NFL DC happy he drafted or signed them.

Going into this Fall, we can arguably make the case that we have an (in their position group) Top 5 prospect at CB, LB and RB.

I am not sure how to process this information.
I look at it like a step in the right direction, and when I see the preseason picks, I wonder what these "experts" are looking at. Because, we are raising our talent level across the board and we have a few stars. I think they look at quarterback and don't see "the guy", but I think we have the guy, especially because our guys are working with these coaches.

I look at it like a step in the right direction, and when I see the preseason picks, I wonder what these "experts" are looking at. Because, we are raising our talent level across the board and we have a few stars. I think they look at quarterback and don't see "the guy", but I think we have the guy, especially because our guys are working with these coaches.
Because most preseason projections are lazily done and mostly rely on recent history.