Mike's Mailbox: Why not Quentin Hillsman to replace Jim Boeheim when time comes? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike's Mailbox: Why not Quentin Hillsman to replace Jim Boeheim when time comes?

Kansas and Michigan State didn't miss a beat. Honestly UCLA had good results just not Wooden results.
Kansas got Self to come back home from being very successful at Illinois. Would be like if Hop returned after making Washington a power. MSU was strong under Hearhcote, but I actually think the Izzo era is better. But that's an outlier for coaching legend transitions.

I recall this same topic coming up right after Hop left.

It’s common for those that don’t truly understand that the two sports, while similar, are not the same. Shame on Mike Waters for not using it as an opportunity to educate rather than actually entertaining it as a serious possibility.
It’s really quite shocking he wrote it.

Kansas got Self to come back home from being very successful at Illinois. Would be like if Hop returned after making Washington a power. MSU was strong under Hearhcote, but I actually think the Izzo era is better. But that's an outlier for coaching legend transitions.

Pretty sure Self barely had any ties to Kansas previously. He was an errand boy assistant for one season there in the late 80s, I believe. No “coming home” per se. He was a HC at Oral Roberts, Tulsa, and obviously Illinois before getting the KU gig.

That would be interesting. It won't happen, but I don't think he would be as bad as everyone expects - he might actually turn out to be pretty good.

Pretty sure Self barely had any ties to Kansas previously. He was an errand boy assistant for one season there in the late 80s, I believe. No “coming home” per se. He was a HC at Oral Roberts, Tulsa, and obviously Illinois before getting the KU gig.
I thought he played there, it was OkSt. Still, he was a mega-property when Kansas went and got him. Can't see SU going to that level.

I thought he played there, it was OkSt. Still, he was a mega-property when Kansas went and got him. Can't see SU going to that level.

One can only hope. A self-made (pun intended) guy with experience like him who turned around a few programs and/or dominated at one. A fresh perspective and completely different/new approach would be fantastic, IMO.

One can only hope. A self-made (pun intended) guy with experience like him who turned around a few programs and/or dominated at one. A fresh perspective and completely different/new approach would be fantastic, IMO.
They paid and still pay huge for him. Maybe Hillsman is the best option. Mike Waters. Wow.

I like Mike Waters writing and I think Quentin Hillsman’s performance as women’s basketball coach has been excellent but this is a dumb article.
It’s a completely different game recruiting wise.
If the purpose of this article was to find a candidate that GMac is superior to as the next HC mission accomplished.
I say this with the premise I think Mike Waters knows Hillsman won’t be a candidate when JB retires.

Lol anyone who has an IQ above 40 knows Hillsman wont be a candidate. I hope that person sent that in as a goof because if not that's one dumb..... you can fill in the blanks

The first coach after a legend is a tough go. They usually don't really do well because the committees look at it as trying to pick a home run coach when what you need is a mature, experienced coach who can weather the emotional upheaval of the transition. A person who is looking for one good shot to cap off his career, and maybe that would work with Jones. He is a UVA/ACC guy, which is huge. After that coach you try to get a long term guy.
I’m so sick of this dumb argument.

Over and back is now a rule. In fact conversely, many women’s basketball rules have prompted men’s basketball changes too. The women’s game has always had a shot clock , in fact a 30 second shot clock since the early 70’s. Men didn’t even have a shot clock til 1985 and it was 45 seconds not changing to the 30 seconds women’s shot clock till 3 years ago or almost 50 years after the women. The women’s game is now 4 ten minute quarters vs 2 twenty minute halves that the men use. They also reduced media timeouts to one a quarter and foul shots after committing 5 in a quarter. The men studied but voted down going the same way. Women are also selectively experimenting this year using the international women’s 3 point line of 22 feet 1 and 3/4 inches vs the current 20 feet 9 inch line which is the same as college men’s. That’s why you no longer see multiple lines on college courts. So it may change if agreed upon after this study so the women’s 3 point line could be longer than the men’s thus more lines on the court again.

There are very few differences any more. The women’s game has been much more progressive in looking at the rules. Men’s college game has historically hated change , a reason it took so long for even using a shot clock and till just 2015 to lower it to 30 seconds, what the women had used for about 45 years. Men may look closer at using the international 3 point line and using 4 quarters again in the future if it works out well for the women. The women use the NBA model much closer than men’s college basketball.

Good breakdown Cherie. Taught me some things I didn't know.

Men really have to look at moving the arc back.

You would think the first coach to follow a legend would be a tough go but that isn’t always the case. In my basketball watching lifetime there have been numerous successful transitions from legend to the next hire. I’m sure I missed some in each category.

Jud - Izzo
Roy - Self
Crum - Pitino
Smith - Guthridge (2 FF in 3 yrs)
Olson - Miller
Chaney - Dunphy
Keady - Painter
Calhoun - Ollie (I’d trade a coaching flame out for a title)

Mixed bag
Rollie - Lappas (lasted 9 years at Nova)
G Williams - Turgeon
Henson - Kruger (bolted for NBA)

Busts
Thompson - Esherick
Louie - Mahoney
Knight - Davis
Sutton - Sutton
Tark - Rollie ($ grab)

Last edited:
You would think the first coach to follow a legend would be a tough go but that isn’t always the case. In my basketball watching lifetime there have been numerous successful transitions from legend to the next hire. I’m sure I missed some in each category.

Jud - Izzo
Roy - Self
Crum - Pitino
Smith - Guthridge (2 FF in 3 yrs)
Olson - Miller
Chaney - Dunphy
Keady - Painter
Calhoun - Ollie (I’d trade a coaching flame out for a title)

Mixed bag
Rollie - Lappas (lasted 9 years at Nova)
G Williams - Turgeon
Henson - Kruger (bolted for NBA)

Busts
Thompson - Esherick
Louie - Mahoney
Knight - Davis
Sutton - Sutton
Tark - Rollie ($ grab)
That’s not exactly Arizona’s chronology

If Hillsman moved over he really shake up the fashion palette of the ACC. Other coaches would have to step up their game. Brey would have to forever retire the Dickey and Buzz Williams would have to wear a designer suit made of Gore Tex.

Weren’t the coaches pre Miller interim while Olson was sick?

I’m def referring to full hires only.
Kevin O’Neil was the interim Arizona coach in 2009 after Lute was out.
He got Arizona to the sweet 16 after Wake choked in the first round and got pounded by Louisville in Indy.

Arizona didn’t retain O’Neil and they hired Sean Miller from Xavier.
So while there was an interim coach you are right it went from Olson to Miller.

SMG is just taking another swipe at Boeheim's ugly style of play. Just wait until the losses continue to pile up - you'll see editorials publicly questioning whether JB should consider moving up his retirement timeline. While many of us may agree on some of these points, the newspaper should not be sticking their nose into this especially when they clearly have a leftist agenda. The contrast between Babers and JB's relationship with the media is adding high octane fuel to this fire.

SMG is just taking another swipe at Boeheim's ugly style of play. Just wait until the losses continue to pile up - you'll see editorials publicly questioning whether JB should consider moving up his retirement timeline. While many of us may agree on some of these points, the newspaper should not be sticking their nose into this especially when they clearly have a leftist agenda. The contrast between Babers and JB's relationship with the media is adding high octane fuel to this fire.

You do know that the article is called "Mike's Mailbox", where people write in and ask Mike Waters questions, and he answers them.

Someone wrote in and asked if Q was a candidate to replace JB.

Maybe the Post-Standard should ask you for your approval on what questions they can address in the future.

I'm sure you’ll enjoy that.
I'd stick to your day job because your psychic intuition is a little off. Have you noticed you're the only mod here that persistently tries to be a cyber-bully? I'm sure you enjoy that.

I'd stick to your day job because your psychic intuition is a little off. Have you noticed you're the only mod here that persistently tries to be a cyber-bully? I'm sure you enjoy that.

Only with certain posters.

Cyber-bully? lol

That statement truly diminishes the real cyber-bullying crap that goes on out there. This board (at least the posts that remain) is about as far from cyber-bullying as you can get on the internet, save for possibly this one.

What would having a "leftist agenda" have to do with anything?

It’s really quite shocking he wrote it.

Yes and no. I suspect Mike knows Q has no chance in hell to replace JB.

To suggest he does is more politically correct than leftist. Or put another way, it would not have been politically correct for Mike to suggest that Q is not and will not be a viable candidate.

But the wise thing to do would have been to keep that question in his figurative pocket and write about something else. It's not like there is a dearth of other issues surrounding Orange hoops.