Minimum acceptable win total? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Minimum acceptable win total?

I am impressed by the expectation levels on this board, I want to say 6, but 4 to avoid staff changes. There are a lot of unknowns on this team. I will be impressed with anything over 6. I love what we bring to the table with a stable of good to great backs, but I can't help remembering how hard it was to do anything consistently on offense while Pugh was out.

I'm on board with the idea that we need to make another bowl appearance, so we need at least 6 wins.

That said, the question in the OP was "what is the absolute minimum win total you will accept from this team without major changes being made?"

For those people placing the bar at 6, I'm wondering, what changes would you feel are justified if we fail to make a bowl?
Head Coach.

and if we are sitting at 1-5, bring in tressel* right then and there and let him take his ban through the end of the season.

*yee-ha

Oh Lord

If both interior lines play well and the players learn the newer system that the on the most part new staff is teaching, I believe we will have a very happy fan base.

wow- What talking about a change before the guy even has 1 game-

the season will be what it is- could start slow and end well -or start well and end bad-

i for 1 think his intensity will transfer to the offense-will that equal points i dont know-

i do know after the game they will know they just played the most physical team they play all year-

3 games we are significant underdogs. @Northwestern week 2, Clemson week 4 and @Florida State. 2 games we are slight underdogs in @Georgia Tech week 7, Penn State week 1. We have two tossup games @NC State and @Maryland
I expect to beat Wagner, Tulane, Boston College, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh.

Assuming we win those 5 games and split Maryland/NC State I expect to win atleast 1 of the other 5 from Northwestern, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Penn State.

Thus minimum expectations would be 5 wins.
I expect atleast 6 wins.
7 wins seems very plausible if the QB situation is good.
8 or above and SS is in contention for ACC COY.

Minimum before we do what? Start MSPainting photos of Tressel being eaten by an orange Pac-Man?

With a new QB and new HC, I'm hoping for at least 5 wins.

6 anything more would be fantastic. Very excited LGO.

Basically an entirely new coaching staff.
A group of QBs that have thrown, collectively, about 20 passes between all 6 candidates.
Lost the top two receivers.
Lost a first round LT.
Lost the heart and soul of the defense at safety along with a very good DT.
Replacing both DEs.

I'll be thrilled with 6 wins given all of those factors. Get to a bowl game to get this coaching staff off on the right foot.

6. I'll be quite disappointed with anything less than that, barring unforeseen circumstances. This is a solid team.

Basically an entirely new coaching staff.
A group of QBs that have thrown, collectively, about 20 passes between all 6 candidates.
Lost the top two receivers.
Lost a first round LT.
Lost the heart and soul of the defense at safety along with a very good DT.
Replacing both DEs.

I'll be thrilled with 6 wins given all of those factors. Get to a bowl game to get this coaching staff off on the right foot.

And....New league, new or 1st time HC/OC/DC, 13 returning starters (inc ST), loss of NFL talent at QB,LT, and DB, 2 B1G teams on OCS, etc.

5 +/-2 seems "reasonable." But, how reasonable can any of these predictions be until we actually see this team play?

Okay the premise of this thread is crap because there will not be any changes in a first year coaching staff no matter what so that is stupid. Now that I have vented I think we win either 8 or nin including our bowl win.

Entire thread is a waste of bandwidth...oh, and f**k Tressel.

Discussing "changes" long before we even see the product is asinine and bringing up GRob's name should be grounds for banishment. Oh ya...and f**k Tressel.

I have to agree with this. Guys haven't even put pads on. We have no idea if there will be any significant injuries before the season even starts. We don't even know who the starting QB is yet. Based on having so much information already available the only answer is to take our guaranteed wins and divide by guaranteed losses which by my calculation is 1 divided by 0 and therefore mathematically 'Undefined'. Speculating what will happen in Oct/Nov at this point in the season is just completely unrealistic.

Here's a few things about this season that you can hang your hat on.

1. My first home brewed Pale Ale should be ready by Wagner. Making wort tonight.

2. It's going to be a helluva ride all year. Might be bad, might be good, but you better fasten your seatbelt.

3. It's the last time I have to see HCRE in a conference game(although I thought that already happened)

4. RMH44 is not going to stand in line to meet Tressel....EVER!

5. My seats are "Hell YEAH!!!" better than last year.

Can't wait....

Okay the premise of this thread is crap because there will not be any changes in a first year coaching staff no matter what so that is stupid. Now that I have vented I think we win either 8 or nin including our bowl win.

So you come from the Grob school of thinking, where a 1-11 season means we might just need to give it more time?

So you come from the Grob school of thinking, where a 1-11 season means we might just need to give it more time?

I come from the pragmatic business sense of thinkin that you don't fire somebody after 1 year of a four yrear guaranteed deal and eat the remainder plus have to pony up millions for a replacement duh!

There is no comparison between the P to Idiot regime change and the DM to SS regime change. SS is part of the DM regime, there is continuity from a coaching standpoint although we lost alot. We didn't go from complete hardass(P) to country club('I think I can'). Comparing the two is like comparing a battleship to a kite. Completely different circumstances. Is 1 win acceptable? No I don't think so but Schafer would probably get a 2nd year anyway.

I know most of us are cautiously optimistic, but what is the absolute minimum win total you will accept from this team without major changes being made, HC, etc.?

I say any less than 4 wins (considering 2 should be layups) and we can start talking about changes. After the Grob debacle, we shouldn't be willing to wait things out as long.

Before changes being made? Shafer isn't going anywhere even if he wins 2 games. Wait things out as long? He hasn't even coached a game yet. The players and administration really like Shafer and are buying into his vision. Firing him after a season is just plain silly. The players would not be happy.

I think a bowl game is a minimum, but more importantly, we need to play hard against Clemson, FSU, PSU and Northwestern. Those are the teams we are recruiting against for the big name players, so we need to be competitive and show kids we can play with the big boys.

First of all, Shafer is going no where unless he does something not related to winning football games that causes his dismissal. Secondly, I see 2 likely losses, 2 likely wins, and 8 games that could go either way. If the team performs to "my" expectations 6-2 and 8-4 overall is very realistic. If we see a coach that coaches "not to lose" (which was my most frequent complaint about Marrone) then 2-6 and 4-8 should be a bottom of the barrel expectation and 4-4 and 6-6 the most likely outcome. Anything more than 6 wins should be cause for celebration and kudos to the coaching staff. 6-6 is a "meh", status quo.

We are not going backwards. This is a .500 team over the last four years, after 10-37 the four before that. Anyone who bashes FHCDM needs to look closely at that stat. Hiring HCSS means continuity and a continuation of the upward trajectory. There is another thread on how we have a full roster for the first time since 1988 (I jest), and every team needs to reload - not just us. State Penn will be starting a frosh QB. We are so much more talented than we've been. This team finds a way to win 8 games, starting with a 24-13 win in the Meadowlands. Mark it down.

We are not going backwards. This is a .500 team over the last four years, after 10-37 the four before that. Anyone who bashes FHCDM needs to look closely at that stat. Hiring HCSS means continuity and a continuation of the upward trajectory. There is another thread on how we have a full roster for the first time since 1988 (I jest), and every team needs to reload - not just us. State Penn will be starting a frosh QB. We are so much more talented than we've been. This team finds a way to win 8 games, starting with a 24-13 win in the Meadowlands. Mark it down.

I agree that we can't and won't go backwards. If we get less than 6 wins then one of two things is true, Shafer may not have been the right guy or Marrone was not the recruiter that some think he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as we win our ACC division im happy

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors