Mini's Music Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mini's Music Thread

I just recently got turned onto NF. This dude hits like a ton of bricks. Eminem stylistic resemblance is uncanny. His flow is insane... He has some tougher tracks and some more party tracks but a lot of his stuff is like this... just wow...

I just recently got turned onto NF. This dude hits like a ton of bricks. Eminem stylistic resemblance is uncanny. His flow is insane... He has some tougher tracks and some more party tracks but a lot of his stuff is like this... just wow...

As a disclaimer, I'm not really a hip-hop fan. Rap was just starting to be a thing when I was growing up and it was never my thing. I knew Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys. I knew a little LL Cool J; and Run D.M.C. because of Aerosmith. I knew Ice-T because of Body Count not "99 Problems." The '90s was the heyday of hip hop and I didn't really pay much attention to it then either. I like a little Snoop, some Warren G/Nate Dogg and Wu Tang. Of course, Eminem is the '90s hip hop icon but other than a few of his hits, none of his stuff gets more than a "meh" from me.
Having said all that, objectively, I think this NF guy has some talent. I don't know how much success he's going to have with the "my childhood sucked" angry, emo rap thing. It seems to me that the white guy from Michigan with trailer park mommy issues has been done before, but what do I know, my name's not Stan.

Another one from the "North Cack" guy I posted the other day.

Last edited:
His parents' restaurant was about a mile up the road from my then girlfriend now wife's apartment.

I'm going out to a show tonight. Russian Circles, who I don't know, followed by the Eagles of Death metal and then the headliner. Here's a tune I hadn't heard until just now.

Last edited:
I've tried to get into EODM but they've never grabbed me. It's as if Todd Parker from "Boogie Nights" had a lousy bar band.

Mastodon is the headliner. They have odd videos. Case in point, the cat in this song is 'nipped out of his mind.

I know I've posted "The Motherload" in this thread before but I'm posting it again because I love this tune. The band took alot of grief for this video with the usual accusations of sexism and misogyny and racism. A complete load of crap. The video is fun and a snapshot of Atlanta culture and not that other nonsense. Besides, without this video we wouldn't have the mesmerizing ass kaleidoscope guitar solo. Where's my 'nip?

I never knew they left. I didn't even know they were there in the first place. It's like Robert Smith and the Human League had a kid up on Solsbury Hill.
They're from Brooklyn - Were huge about 8-9 years ago with "Kids" and "Electric Feel".

Gavin Turek sings backup for Tuxedo, I've been checking out her stuff the past few days. She's got a funk/disco queen thing going on. Some of her stuff has an Eryka Badu or Lauren Hill feel to it. I like her.

So this is a band that came together from pieces of other bands. The two guitarists played with the Safety Fire, the bassist played with the Architects and other bands, the lead singer sang with Tesseract and nobody cares about the faceless drummer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom