Minnesota the Great | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota the Great

going toe to toe with Pitt? you are bragging about that? you should expect to beat a mediocre Pitt team yet you couldn't even do that

Your conference's champion couldn't even beat Notre Dame. And Pitt would beat Minnesota easily. Their D line would eat your O line up.

Your conference's champion couldn't even beat Notre Dame. And Pitt would beat Minnesota easily. Their D line would eat your O line up.
To be fair, there were several very horrific pass interference calls that went against MSU in that game.

Maybe because they blocked for a pure power back that is a Heisman finalist? Andre Williams has gone for 2102 this year, top 10 single season all time.

Kid is a north/south guy who need the line to open holes, he didn't do a whole lot on his own at the LOS.

That's what it's based on.
That's great and all but that's all about BC. You made a comparative statement but you've only talked about one side of the equation. That's like me saying MNs QB is better than Cuse's QB because MNs QB is good. You've explained why you feel BC's line is good so now explain why its better than MNs

This is based on what exactly? That logic is now and will always be terrible. Bama lost to a 2 loss A&M team last year so does that mean the teams that beat A&M can beat Bama? Of course not. You guys are quick to point out why your team now is better than it was wen you lost to NW and PSU yet MSU doesn't get that benefit of the doubt and their loss to ND is all that matters when judging them? Sorry that logic is just terrible

Oleboy41 said:
That's great and all but that's all about BC. You made a comparative statement but you've only talked about one side of the equation. That's like me saying MNs QB is better than Cuse's QB because MNs QB is good. You've explained why you feel BC's line is good so now explain why its better than MNs

Checks Heisman list. No Minny. Case closed.

I'm still absolutely stunned that this team is favored. They are a "run first, run second" offense. How the hell do they expect to beat us? They don't have the QBs to beat us with the option like Tech. If we shut down Andre Williams, I'm very confident we can shut down there "above average" back.

I honestly think Syracuse, if Hunt and the offense show up, could blow out Minnesota.

I see no strength in the Minnesota Gophers that Syracuse can't answer, and no weakness that Syracuse can't exploit.
I am usually pessimistic, but I see what you see. I believe their defense is better, but this looks like NC St to me.

Based on Aaron Donald, Pitt's Nagurski Trophy winning DT.
That guy doesn't play in our game, we win 16-0
I know ifs, coulda shoulda. Donald perhaps gave the most impressive performance against us I have seen in like forever. Well except for Timmy Jernigan :/

Wait, you were able to run (not really as proven in this thread) on MSU. The same MSU that lost to Notre Dame. You know, that powerhouse that lost to another middle of the road ACC team in Pitt. We unfortunately lost to Pitt by one point, but you get the idea. I hope your coaches and players think we are as bad as we were against Georgia Tech.
We unfortunately lost to Pitt by one point, but you get the idea
Correction, we beat Pitt 16-0, we lost to Donald 17-16.

What position does he play? He looks like he is out of eligibility.
He may be, he's older than Ric Flair, but not by much.
Minnesota was such a homebase for wrestling because of Gagne. Lesnar actually went to school at Minn

Checks Heisman list. No Minny. Case closed.
So they have a better OL than Wisconsin and every other team without a Heisman candidate in their backfield? Good to know. Odd that they aren't ranked a bit higher with the best OL other than Auburn

Based on Aaron Donald, Pitt's Nagurski Trophy winning DT.
If one man makes a DL then mN has the best DL in the B1G so guess you guys stand no chance to run on us

Based on what? Have you seen MN play much this year? (I haven't really seen BC so I don't know the answer here just wondering what the basis for this statement is)

I know that their #1 RB was a Heisman candidate that ran for 2000+ yards and both of their tackles made the ACC all conference team.

I know that their #1 RB was a Heisman candidate that ran for 2000+ yards and both of their tackles made the ACC all conference team.
That's great. So he is great or is he running through huge holes? Are they decent but he's making them look great? Adrian Peterson is the best RB in the NFL but the Vikings OL is middle of the pack. Telling me how good their RB is doesn't tell me how good their line is. Sure there's a correlation between rushing yards and the OL but nobody's told me why their OL is great

Oleboy41 said:
That's great. So he is great or is he running through huge holes? Are they decent but he's making them look great? Adrian Peterson is the best RB in the NFL but the Vikings OL is middle of the pack. Telling me how good their RB is doesn't tell me how good their line is. Sure there's a correlation between rushing yards and the OL but nobody's told me why their OL is great

If you run for 2,000 yards in college it's a combination of OL, RB, and scheme.

BC is kind of smash mouth - no tricky scheme to worry about. So it's the OL and RB.

Now tell me about what makes Minn OL so great without talking up your RB...

BC is kind of smash mouth - no tricky scheme to worry about. So it's the OL and RB.

I think minnesota can do what BC did against you, they were on the road, and Williams only got 9 carries and didn't play the whole game. But putting up the yardage totals that they did should be enough to get a win. I'd expect our defense to play better than BC's did.

I never claimed we have a great anything. Nor have I compared our running game to that of teams I haven't seen play which is why I questioned the statement made that 'BC's OL is better than MN's' and nobody has actually compared the two OLs even still, lol. My guess is because the people saying that haven't seen MN play. Now after viewing the two if you choose to make a comparison you'll actually have something to compare. Its like me saying my girl is prettier than yours because mine is pretty even if I've never seen yours. For some reason I don't think folks are getting that or maybe nobody likes to admit that they're just making blind statements.
As for MNs OL we're by no means 'great' but its a solid line that does a good job getting hats on hats but isn't great at getting a ton of push at this point. Our C and LG are true road graters so on powers to the right we're fairly effective pulling the LG (Epping) and kicking out ends or getting to the second level. Most of our runs utilize a pulling guard or a pulling TE as our TEs are often glorified tackles anyway (think Stanford lite). Where we struggle is against really good LBs as our line still isn't the most athletic group so LBs can shoot the gaps against us. And really what killed us against WI and to a lesser extent MSU was that their safeties got really involved in the run game as we couldn't exploit their corners on the outside in the passing game so they kept 8 in the box. Cobb is a really good back for where we're at now because his vision allows him to find creases and slip through. Kirkwood, our backup, is a straight ahead, hit the hole guy and we're not at the point where we're opening huge holes for that type of back which is why his numbers suck this year.

tdorf84 said:
I think minnesota can do what BC did against you, they were on the road, and Williams only got 9 carries and didn't play the whole game. But putting up the yardage totals that they did should be enough to get a win. I'd expect our defense to play better than BC's did.

BC's run total was junked up by their rather immobile QB suddenly becoming a running QB in the second half (a 40 yard bootleg being one example).

Oleboy41 said:
I never claimed we have a great anything. Nor have I compared our running game to that of teams I haven't seen play which is why I questioned the statement made that 'BC's OL is better than MN's' and nobody has actually compared the two OLs even still, lol. My guess is because the people saying that haven't seen MN play. Now after viewing the two if you choose to make a comparison you'll actually have something to compare. Its like me saying my girl is prettier than yours because mine is pretty even if I've never seen yours. For some reason I don't think folks are getting that or maybe nobody likes to admit that they're just making blind statements. As for MNs OL we're by no means 'great' but its a solid line that does a good job getting hats on hats but isn't great at getting a ton of push at this point. Our C and LG are true road graters so on powers to the right we're fairly effective pulling the LG (Epping) and kicking out ends or getting to the second level. Most of our runs utilize a pulling guard or a pulling TE as our TEs are often glorified tackles anyway (think Stanford lite). Where we struggle is against really good LBs as our line still isn't the most athletic group so LBs can shoot the gaps against us. And really what killed us against WI and to a lesser extent MSU was that their safeties got really involved in the run game as we couldn't exploit their corners on the outside in the passing game so they kept 8 in the box. Cobb is a really good back for where we're at now because his vision allows him to find creases and slip through. Kirkwood, our backup, is a straight ahead, hit the hole guy and we're not at the point where we're opening huge holes for that type of back which is why his numbers suck this year.

That last paragraph describes our defense and scheme perfectly. Our LB's are really good. Our DT is a beast. It's our secondary that was bad early - but they've been playing better.

Getting talked sh** to by Minnesota fans.

Amazing.

Did you know that there's a side of the Brown Jug with a Minnesota logo on it? Why'd they even bother?

jugs.jpg

To be fair, they also talked before the Michigan game this year. Then lost 42-13.

Amazing.

Did you know that there's a side of the Brown Jug with a Minnesota logo on it? Why'd they even bother?

jugs.jpg

To be fair, they also talked before the Michigan game this year. Then lost 42-13.

Who is talking sh**t?

Amazing.

jugs.jpg

Your post is waaayyy more 'trash talking' than any by me or tdorf. Plus how do you know what MN fans said regarding the Michigan game? Especially as that game came after a tough loss to IA that left few MN fans in any sort of mood for trash talking. But you're certainly free to continue trolling even if you're making yourself look silly in the process. I guess some people aren't actually capable of having a discussion about a game without acting foolish.