Minor non-conference schedule info | Syracusefan.com

Minor non-conference schedule info

It's kind of disturbing to me that we have no non-con games scheduled with any B1G teams in the upcoming seasons. What the heck is Herm Frazier doing?

Losing Penn State 2020 and 2021 would suck, but its understandable with the B1G going to 9 conference games. Its why the 1-1-1 deal was perfect and only playing the neutral site game this year is fine. I would tell Penn State anytime you want to play in Metlife as a neutral site only game we are in. Losing Northwestern in 2019 is good as well and I thinking more and more that was a mistake on the FBSschedule website.

I'm more worried about getting the 2014-2016 at this point than the penn state games and there had been rumors about that part of the agreement not being signed so it wasn't a sure thing. I wouldn't mind playing northwestern in another series but it should be a 1 -1 deal. We should have notre dame around 2020 again anyway

Wouldn't mind a home and home with Mich St and Wisconsin. Madison is a great place to watch a game.

I hope Herm is a good fundraiser for the SU AD office because his scheduling skills are TERRIBLE. If not he must be a real good friend of Dr. Gross because as I have said numerous times TexanMark could do his job in 1 day and have our schedules set for the next 5 years.

It's kind of disturbing to me that we have no non-con games scheduled with any B1G teams in the upcoming seasons. What the heck is Herm Frazier doing?

Nothing thats the problem. How he still has that job is mind boggling.

How sure are we that this is Frazier's fault. Reading this thread, you'd think he was sitting at a desk collecting a paycheck and screening his calls. Does anyone know for sure that he is?

I think SU scheduling non conference games is getting harder and harder. Conferences are going to 9 game schedules, leaving only 3. From the sounds of it, a lot of the big boys are trying to schedule blockbuster matchups for one of their game, to impress the playoff committee. You don't lose too much by losing that game, can still get a good ranking and bowl slot.

Makes you wonder if these schools think a game at SU is no value add for them. Can be a tough environment to play in, but you get no real credit for the win. And it's not like they need to make sure they get a game in this fertile recruiting ground.

It's an ever changing landscape. We are no longer in the 90s. It's even much different than the first half of the 00s. If Frazier was an utter failure at this, then I would have to think Gross would have replaced him by now.

Maybe SU's biggest mistake in trying to get OOC teams to the Dome was showing its willingness to play in NYC. Maybe now that's all people want. But people crucify that decision, you need to rewind to what SU's position was in the college football world at the time those games were scheduled.

So we got scammed again. Gave up a home game this year for a 1-1-1 deal supposedly. We would have been better off getting another home game this year vs some mid level team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How sure are we that this is Frazier's fault. Reading this thread, you'd think he was sitting at a desk collecting a paycheck and screening his calls. Does anyone know for sure that he is?

I think SU scheduling non conference games is getting harder and harder. Conferences are going to 9 game schedules, leaving only 3. From the sounds of it, a lot of the big boys are trying to schedule blockbuster matchups for one of their game, to impress the playoff committee. You don't lose too much by losing that game, can still get a good ranking and bowl slot.

Makes you wonder if these schools think a game at SU is no value add for them. Can be a tough environment to play in, but you get no real credit for the win. And it's not like they need to make sure they get a game in this fertile recruiting ground.

It's an ever changing landscape. We are no longer in the 90s. It's even much different than the first half of the 00s. If Frazier was an utter failure at this, then I would have to think Gross would have replaced him by now.

Maybe SU's biggest mistake in trying to get OOC teams to the Dome was showing its willingness to play in NYC. Maybe now that's all people want. But people crucify that decision, you need to rewind to what SU's position was in the college football world at the time those games were scheduled.

You think Kansas which recently scheduled a series with Rutgers, or Illinois which recently scheduled a series with North Carolina couldn't get done? I mean our non-conference scheduling HAS BEEN HORRIBLE recently. Last year, I give a break because of TCU and the Mizzou game, but we ARE ROUTINELY LAST in scheduling games if we can't get good teams then play MAC teams home/home AND SAY WE ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY fans so this is what we have to do.

Instead, we hear nothing and like my parents always said if your honest people are more forgiving. Maybe Fraizer doesn't have to say directly teams are balking but say what you said in your post in an interview occasionally and people will be more patient, and yes I truly believe TexanMark could handle his job better if he is not essential in fundraising, but if he is a friend of Dr. Gross I don't think he would fire him.

Last edited:
Where did the Northwestern 2019 game even come from? We signed a 2 and 2 with them and that's been finished now. I feel like that was an internet typo that just propagated around.

That note about the rest of the PSU series has been around since it was first announced, at this point I have no reason to believe that it won't happen (but until these conferences can figure out their schedules for more than a year or 2, I guess it's pretty hard to lock anything out-of-conference down).

You think Kansas which recently scheduled a series with Rutgers, or Illinois which recently scheduled a series with North Carolina couldn't get done? I mean our non-conference scheduling HAS BEEN HORRIBLE recently. Last year, I give a break because of TCU and the Mizzou game, but we ARE ROUTINELY LAST in scheduling games if we can't get good teams then play MAC teams home/home AND SAY WE ARE HAVING DIFFICULTY fans so this is what we have to do.

Instead, we hear nothing and like my parents always said if your honest people are more forgiving. Maybe Fraizer doesn't have to say directly teams are balking but say what you said in your post in an interview occasionally and people will be more patient, and yes I truly believe TexanMark could handle his job better if he is not essential in fundraising, but if he is a friend of Dr. Gross I don't think he would fire him.

Aren't you the one who suggested moving the BC series to baseball stadiums?

SU is in a tough spot. If we schedule crappy teams, fans complain and don't come to the Dome. Big name teams may not want to come here anymore. If any of you have data that proves otherwise, outside of Herm Frazier sucks at his job, I'd love to hear it. In the last 6-7 years we've had Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, NW, PSU here from the Big 10. Maybe they don't want to come back anytime soon. I'd love to get a home and home with Michigan State or Wisconsin or even Indiana, but who knows if they want to come.

If it makes everyone feel better, then fire him and get a new scheduler. But if the new guy runs into the same problems, don't be shocked.

Also keep in mind that by joining the ACC, we lost scheduled OOC games with BC, GT.

Last edited:
Maybe the BTN document was pulled because it was inaccurate or incomplete in the first place?

So we got scammed again. Gave up a home game this year for a 1-1-1 deal supposedly. We would have been better off getting another home game this year vs some mid level team.
this year was definitely neutral site, bees.

Syracuse might have to use Basketball as leverage to get some Football Games scheduled. Going forward if the other four P5 conferences go to a 9 game conference schedule it really, really reduces the numbers of available slots vs other P5 schools. I think the ACC is going to be forced into playing 9 conference games sooner than later.

With 3 games OOC:

1. Big Boy OOC yearly either MetLife/home or away (some years we might be forced to grab someone like Illinois, Vandy, WVU, Miss St, Baylor). The Notre Dame game falls in this group.

2. Army/Navy/Rutgers/UConn (If we could get just Army/Navy that would be even better)

3. MAC preferable 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 (try to get UMass/UB/Kent/Akron)
occasionally mix in Colgate for a guarantee game. NIU is a possibility with our connections and Chicago recruiting angle.

Edit: For group 2. If we can't get Army/Navy often then we should look at games attractive to SU fans for travel: SDSU, FAU, FIU, Tulane, UTSA, GaState, New Mexico, Houston, etc...). I'd try to schedule Hawaii once a decade as game #13...a bonus if we could get Hawaii the weekend before or after the Maui Classic when Cuse is playing.

Last edited:
Aren't you the one who suggested moving the BC series to baseball stadiums?

SU is in a tough spot. If we schedule crappy teams, fans complain and don't come to the Dome. Big name teams may not want to come here anymore. If any of you have data that proves otherwise, outside of Herm Frazier sucks at his job, I'd love to hear it. In the last 6-7 years we've had Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, NW, PSU here from the Big 10. Maybe they don't want to come back anytime soon. I'd love to get a home and home with Michigan State or Wisconsin or Indiana, but who knows if they want to come.

If it makes everyone feel better, then fire him and get a new scheduler. But if the new guy runs into the same problems, don't be shocked.

Also keep in mind that by joining the ACC, we lost scheduled OOC games with BC, GT.
I am not in favor of the baseball park idea I was just wondering what fellow SU fans though. I wouldn't be upset if we did it, but I am by no means in favor of it. I am an SU alum/fan 100% but received another degree from BC and have friends from there who told me BC is going to be playing in Fenway and was wondering if SU would do what I suggested. I don't like the idea of moving home games 250 miles but I asked just because I wanted to hear other opinions.

SU may be in a tough spot, but again schedule MAC teams at home and with the ACC schedule people will atleast understand. I think if we have a habit of being among the last teams to schedule non-conference games that can't be a coincidence. I have nothing personal against Mr. Frazier and I am sure he does an excellent job at fundraising or other things in the AD office I just find his scheduling performance to be sub-par. I just think we can have legitimate criticism of his performance without it being extreme on each side and I think TexanMark could get the job done honestly.

this year was definitely neutral site, bees.

Yes it was. Wasn't the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syracuse might have to use Basketball as leverage to get some Football Games scheduled. Going forward if the other four P5 conferences go to a 9 game conference schedule it really, really reduces the numbers of available slots vs other P5 schools. I think the ACC is going to be forced into playing 9 conference games sooner than later.

With 3 games OOC:

1. Big Boy OOC yearly either MetLife/home or away (some years we might be forced to grab someone like Illinois, Vandy, WVU, Miss St, Baylor). The Notre Dame game falls in this group.

2. Army/Navy/Rutgers/UConn (If we could get just Army/Navy that would be even better)

3. MAC preferable 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 (try to get UMass/UB/Kent/Akron)
occasionally mix in Colgate for a guarantee game. NIU is a possibility with our connections and Chicago recruiting angle.

Edit: For group 2. If we can't get Army/Navy often then we should look at games attractive to SU fans for travel: SDSU, FAU, FIU, Tulane, UTSA, GaState, New Mexico, Houston, etc...). I'd try to schedule Hawaii once a decade as game #13...a bonus if we could get Hawaii the weekend before or after the Maui Classic when Cuse is playing.

This. Until the 9th conference game, the other one is an FCS. That's the game an additional conference game would replace I think (even though I don't think that's a great idea and the ACC shouldn't do it until everyone else has).

In the meantime, you follow this formula, lather, rinse, repeat. Go into ACC play 3-1 or 4-0 every year.

Before long, you'll be the good team people come out to the Dome to see. This is how everyone does it.

Now herein lies the stupidity of meathead based scheduling. We don't need to schedule more than 1 big OCC game each year and no more when we play ND. Given our new schedule, we will already be playing 3-4 big in conference games against FSU, Clemson, Lville & 1 mid pack team having a good year or a VT-Miami crossover game.

Simply no need to schedule like a meathead anymore. We needs wins and bowl games to build the program over the next decade for that 1 run for the conference championship and NC playoff.

Being in the ACC changes the strategy that needs to be revised versus how we scheduled in the past. Don't really know about Frazier but he needs direction and I would blame that on the man in charge - Dr Gross.

I'd like to see us try some teams like Air Force, Washington State, etc. Western but winnable.

I'd like to see us try some teams like Air Force, Washington State, etc. Western but winnable.

I'd throw teams like Oregon State, Washington State, Utah, etc...into Group 1 when all else fails. I'd throw USAFA into Group 2 but only if Army/Navy said no. USAFA game could also be considered a good place for the traveling SU fan. Colorado (Boulder) is very undervalued right now and I could see a 2 game series with them in my Group 1.

Realistically the only way I see Cuse playing the West Coast is if we are playing a P5 Big Boy team in Group 1.

30.jpeg

I hope Herm is a good fundraiser for the SU AD office because his scheduling skills are TERRIBLE. If not he must be a real good friend of Dr. Gross because as I have said numerous times TexanMark could do his job in 1 day and have our schedules set for the next 5 years.

Yeah, he could. And we'd be #1 in strength of tailgating schedule.

Our first three games the year TexanMark does the scheduling would be:

@LSU
@ Alabama
@Georgia

Yeah, he could. And we'd be #1 in strength of tailgating schedule.

Our first three games the year TexanMark does the scheduling would be:

@LSU
@ Alabama
@Georgia

You forgot @Ole Miss, @ Florida, @ UT-Austin the next year.