Minus the turnovers | Syracusefan.com

Minus the turnovers

Seriously. Turned the ball over like 8 times in the last 8 mins and still had a chance. Overall, lots of good things this game. I know we have been spoiled at PG lately, but Joseph is just killing us. Still young, and plenty of time to grow, but I really hope he figures it out soon.

CorduroyG said:
Disagree. Kaleb ain't ready to run the show, and I don't think that will change that much come march.

Players come to SU to get noticed and go pro.

It is what it is.

Gotta believe. If he doesn't become at least an average point guard, we will be a long shot to make the tourney. At the very least curb his minutes a little and give Gbinije some run at the point.

Disagree. Kaleb ain't ready to run the show, and I don't think that will change that much come march.
I couldn't possibly disagree more. Cut the kid some slack. He isn't our point guard just as some chump we have filling in the position. He is highly talented and has more upside than Ennis could ever dream of. Before his career is over at SU he will be recognized as one of the best.

The plan wasn't for him to step in and run the show this year. But he has been tasked to do so. It's a lot to ask of a kid and he deserves a little latitude IMO.

Kaleb was mostly fine tonight. And will get better.

Problem is the kid has been like this all along. He's just too careless with the ball. Or so it seems. Even passes that get to the intended target often aren't on the money so they are bobbled and whatever advantage there was is lost.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Cut the kid some slack. He isn't our point guard just as some chump we have filling in the position. He is highly talented and has more upside than Ennis could ever dream of. Before his career is over at SU he will be recognized as one of the best.

The plan wasn't for him to step in and run the show this year. But he has been tasked to do so. It's a lot to ask of a kid and he deserves a little latitude IMO.

I would say the reality is somewhere in the middle between your two takes.

Why do we as fans make ridiculous statements like this? You have no idea what he will or won't become. Why did you feel compelled to make this statement?

Why do we as fans make ridiculous statements like this? You have no idea what he will or won't become. Why did you feel compelled to make this statement?
Ridiculous? It's my opinion. I've been watching college basketball for 40 years. I've seen every guard we've had at Syracuse since before Boeheim took the helm. I don't claim to be a basketball savant... but I don't think my statement or take is ridiculous either.

The ridiculous statements are those that are quick to rush to judgement that a kid who has played 6 games will not be successful in his college career. I guess JB , Hop and the staff just roll dice as to who they recruit in one of the most important positions on the team.

Same as the Iowa/Cal games. Team as a whole needs to practice on passing, it's definitely not KJ alone, but I do agree he needs to stop driving into traffic without any idea as to where he is going. But too many tipped rebounds to Michigan with little effort to defend the 2nd chance shots, and too many passes thrown right into Michigan's hands or out of bounds is what stopped the team from getting an easy road win tonight.

Cut the unforced turnovers in half = double digit win. Just gotta play smarter.

Ridiculous? It's my opinion. I've been watching college basketball for 40 years. I've seen every guard we've had at Syracuse since before Boeheim took the helm. I don't claim to be a basketball savant... but I don't think my statement or take is ridiculous either.

The ridiculous statements are those that are quick to rush to judgement that a kid who has played 6 games will not be successful in his college career. I guess JB , Hop and the staff just roll dice as to who they recruit in one of the most important positions on the team.

I think any statement that offers some kind of final analysis on a kid in the 6th game of his college career is ridiculous.

which is why I called you out on this - Before his career is over at SU he will be recognized as one of the best

You have no reason to believe this is true. Let him develop before you call him one of the best when we have had some really really really good PGs at the Cuse.

Pretty sure this was said about the Harrison twins at Kentucky around this same time last season...then come March/April when they lead Kentucky to National Championship game with Aaron Harrison hitting clutch game-winning shot, after clutch game-winning shot, after clutch game-winning shot...

Last edited:
I think any statement that offers some kind of final analysis on a kid in the 6th game of his college career is ridiculous.

which is why I called you out on this - Before his career is over at SU he will be recognized as one of the best

You have no reason to believe this is true. Let him develop before you call him one of the best when we have had some really really really good PGs at the Cuse.
I didn't see anything ridiculous in what Flacusian posted. Not sure why you'd feel the need to call it out

I didn't see anything ridiculous in what Flacusian posted. Not sure why you'd feel the need to call it out

Do you really believe Joseph will be one of the best we have ever had? You don't see that as at least a bit premature?

Problem is the kid has been like this all along. He's just too careless with the ball. Or so it seems. Even passes that get to the intended target often aren't on the money so they are bobbled and whatever advantage there was is lost.

Yeah, at this stage of his career he seems to struggle a bit for a PG with knowing what to do with the ball. I don't know - maybe we're just used to more consistency. Some of his mistakes are just odd though.

In addition to "Minus the turnovers," if the top of the zone played better...well, we'd have been in better shape. Our guards make some poor decisions.

Still, Cooney hit some shots - hopefully that ushers in a hot streak!

I agree that Jospeh will be very good, but I don't see where he has far more upside then Ennis? They are 2 totally different players, but a lot of coaches would prefer Ennis style.

Yeah, at this stage of his career he seems to struggle a bit for a PG with knowing what to do with the ball. I don't know - maybe we're just used to more consistency. !

I was thinking about this during the game. We are so used to Ennis just being so smooth and not making the silly mistake that we probably just got to expect that from our freshmen point guards. I think that's a huge part of this. Ennis didn't play anything like a frosh. Kaleb is but I imagine he will figure this out. He certainly looked pissed at himself at the end.

I agree with most here that he'll certainly improve as the season goes on. My biggest concern so far is his apparent high dribble, especially in traffic...so he'll be prone to turnovers. It's obviously a poor fundamental trait of his, that he has carried and possessed till this point in his basketball career. It'll be hard to break. He also seems to dribble himself into the corners often...an absolute no-no in hoops 101.

Not really, I can see a ton of potential in KJ

Maybe, but right now he's not better than the last 2 PGs we had. And they weren't in the top 5 of the best on the hill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom