Minus the turnovers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Minus the turnovers

I agree that Jospeh will be very good, but I don't see where he has far more upside then Ennis? They are 2 totally different players, but a lot of coaches would prefer Ennis style.

Ceiling is higher with Joseph simply because of explosiveness.

The occasional dunk won't make up for more turnovers. If he can cut down on the TOs and make those crowd pleasing dunks, then we have something.

CuseFaninVT said:
Do you really believe Joseph will be one of the best we have ever had? You don't see that as at least a bit premature?

I think he will.

I don't consider Carter Williams and Ennis among the best we've had here. They didn't stay long enough to belong in that group.

Joseph will probably be here four years, and by the time he's a junior, we'll be so glad we have him.

I don't think Ennis got credit for his quickness. He got by people at will, and is far better taking care of the ball. I really don't think it's clear either way who will be better down the road, but most NBA coaches would prefer a PG who takes care of the ball.

Really feel bad for Kaleb tonight, hope he learns and grows from the last 30 seconds of this game.
But, is it just me, or does Kaleb LOOK more frazzled on the court because of his huge bug eyes?

Maybe, but right now he's not better than the last 2 PGs we had. And they weren't in the top 5 of the best on the hill.

Three of those five weren't among the five best at SU, either. Now I know why people make fun of Bleacher Report. That writer can't have watched too many Syracuse games over the years.

Anyway, right now Joseph isn't playing at a high level. He shows flashes, though, and does some things better than Ennis. He does well in transition (good finish in the first half). Again, he's got good vision and touch on the high pick and roll.

What matters, of course, is learning how to run the team and win games. Joseph's not there yet, but the first month has been a good learning experience.

I don't think Ennis got credit for his quickness. He got by people at will, and is far better taking care of the ball. I really don't think it's clear either way who will be better down the road, but most NBA coaches would prefer a PG who takes care of the ball.

He's 18 years old. Kids adjust. He will be fine in time. May not be this year, but he will be fine.

The real issue is Gbinije. He's a redshirt junior who is still making stupid mistakes. He's the backup point-forward for Joseph. Need one of them to not be a complete mess with the ball.

I think he will.

I don't consider Carter Williams and Ennis among the best we've had here. They didn't stay long enough to belong in that group.

Joseph will probably be here four years, and by the time he's a junior, we'll be so glad we have him.

Wait, you think he will be better than the two guys drafted in the first round and will still be here 4 years? Seriously?

Three of those five weren't among the five best at SU, either. Now I know why people make fun of Bleacher Report. That writer can't have watched too many Syracuse games over the years.

Anyway, right now Joseph isn't playing at a high level. He shows flashes, though, and does some things better than Ennis. He does well in transition (good finish in the first half). Again, he's got good vision and touch on the high pick and roll.

What matters, of course, is learning how to run the team and win games. Joseph's not there yet, but the first month has been a good learning experience.

Grabbed the first one I found, but you are definitely right.

Saw Joseph play last year and he scored 29 points, was nearly flawless with the ball and drew raves from Kevin Ollie, who was sitting in front of me.

This is a step up in competition, on the road against a top 20 team.

Be patient. He'll be fine.

We're not winning a national title this year.

Lots and lots of positive things. This team will end up better than last years.

WAY too early to say this team will be better than last year... but as someone who was very critical of the team earlier in the season - GOTTA SAY (and i say that emphatically) I walked away from today with A TON more confidence going forward. They show some serious moxie today. I really hope this is a team that will grow into a good team. Only time will tell. But i am now hopeful!

LETS GO CUSE!!!

CuseFaninVT said:
Wait, you think he will be better than the two guys drafted in the first round and will still be here 4 years? Seriously?

By the time he's a junior, maybe senior year, he'll be considered one of our best point guards.

Carter- Williams was a sophomore when he left. Let's see where Joseph is by the end of next year.

WAY too early to say this team will be better than last year... but as someone who was very critical of the team earlier in the season - GOTTA SAY (and i say that emphatically) I walked away from today with A TON more confidence going forward. They show some serious moxie today. I really hope this is a team that will grow into a good team. Only time will tell. But i am now hopeful!

LETS GO CUSE!!!

If we're talking about getting past the field of 32, then the bar isn't set too high. That's where I was going with my post. Regular season record may be a stretch though

Alot of good play today, I don't think michigan is a great team defensively, we will face tougher defenses, however

road game, michigan shot threes well feeling their home court, and they hit a bunch from the corner. We commited 8 turnovers on 10 possesions if not 11 midway second half. Then two costly ones right at the end and only lost by 3.

Best part was the backcourt showed up today we needed a leader back there and gbinije, cooney and joseph (crazy enough) all three showed some leadership, at different times. While xmas really wasn't our go to guy as much today, he got alot off of hustle plays and rebounds.

When all three of our guards are clicking like this, its a tough loss to stomach. We shot 50% from the field michigan shot 38, the 7 to 19 turnover advantage hurt us, as well as giving up 17 offensive boards.

Good learning experience for joseph and gbinije today, and cooney rearrived from outside, :)

Imo, this teams ceiling is based on a backcourt leader, as McCullough and/or Xmas will always give us some leadership.

Last edited:
I think any statement that offers some kind of final analysis on a kid in the 6th game of his college career is ridiculous.

which is why I called you out on this - Before his career is over at SU he will be recognized as one of the best

You have no reason to believe this is true. Let him develop before you call him one of the best when we have had some really really really good PGs at the Cuse.

Again... It's my opinion which I am entitled to. I said BEFORE HIS CAREER IS OVER which is a conditional statement. I did not call him one of the best. My statement related to potential. Please don't demean me for stating an opinion on a fan forum which is comprised of pretty much nothing but opinions. Why does that bother you so much? What do you know about what reasons I may or may not have to state such an opinion? I look to be positive in my outlook with all things Orange and find it's much more pleasurable than finding fault with the players, the coaches and other posters on the forum.
I'd be willing to bet you must really get irritated by Mantonio and his hyper optimistic outlook. LOL!

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet you must really get irritated by Mantonio and his hyper optimistic outlook. LOL!

You guys are both posters I like, but please do not besmirch the name Mantonio in this Battle Royale! I think Mantonio may possibly be against violence. I wish there was something like the bat signal that could mark the threads his help is needed in, and that he'd come in here and spread the message of peace and acceptance.

Again... It's my opinion which I am entitled to. I said BEFORE HIS CAREER IS OVER which is a conditional statement. I did not call him one of the best. My statement related to potential. Please don't demean me for stating an opinion on a fan forum which is comprised of pretty much nothing but opinions. Why does that bother you so much? What do you know about what reasons I may or may not have to state such an opinion? I look to be positive in my outlook with all things Orange and find it's much more pleasurable than finding fault with the players, the coaches and other posters on the forum.

Fair enough. I absolutely hate the use of absolutes. If you had said he was going to be one of the worst 5 I would have jumped on you as well. I just want to see him develop at his own pace without everyone deeming him the next pearl.

And please don't bring the ponytailed one into this discussion. I heard he's working the border scaring illegals with his singing.

This thread is brought to you by the word hyperbole.

Fair enough. I absolutely hate the use of absolutes. If you had said he was going to be one of the worst 5 I would have jumped on you as well. I just want to see him develop at his own pace without everyone deeming him the next pearl.

And please don't bring the ponytailed one into this discussion. I heard he's working the border scaring illegals with his singing.
It's all good! I don't like to butt heads with anyone, especially someone who obviously loves Syracuse Basketball. Most that come here are passionate about Cuse Hoops so it's only to be expected that we get excitable, hyperbolic, and ...well, irrational from time to time. I only mean well here and I LOVE SYRACUSE BASKETBALL more than any other sport / team/ program in the Universe. I certainly didn't mean to be a sooth-sayer/ empath predicting the absolute ultimate end point of KJ career. I just have seen a lot of promise in many aspects of his game/ talent from having watched everything available about him on the internet , Francis's postings etc. and it seems he has the potential to really be something special.

There are things about him that are reminiscent of some of the greatest that we've had running point for our program. That's why I was prone to my hyperbolic proclamative prediction. I enjoy your posts and honor your point of view. We good! :)

Booooooooo . . . . I was hoping for blood! CaptainJ I was counting on you to insight a battle royal between these two respected posters not broker "shiney happy feelings". So disappointing bro. Oh Lord

Booooooooo . . . . I was hoping for blood! CaptainJ I was counting on you to insight a battle royal between these two respected posters not broker "shiney happy feelings". So disappointing bro. Oh Lord
Easy Jordoo! Until we whoop St. Johnnycakes I may find myself in a foul and vitriolic mood and yet poke some unsuspecting innocent poster in the eye for no good reason whatsoever and the donnybrook will be on!!!!

I can't say I haven't enjoyed seeing some good battles on occasion, but I figure it might help make up for some of my antics if I attempted to use my powers for good more often. Usually there is a clear underdog that I can aid, but I wasn't sure what to do here. It isn't like there's a weekly member ranking like there is for the basketball teams. Like a viking, I do remember tales of the old times like when the board nearly erupted into a civil war last season while trying to define what constituted a proper post/thread, etc. Heck, I even defended the Indiana stripper and UConn last season.

That said, there are titans on here I wouldn't get in between if they went at it. Nature has shown that turmoil can at times lead to strength and order. Maybe you could get a sub forum where grudges would be confined to? On occasion there could be something like old school WWF's Saturday Night's Main Event. I wouldnt mind doing the color analysis on it. I could pull a Bill Walton and come up with some stuff out of the ether on occasion. "Folks, while we have a delay in action, rumor from the payside has it that esteemed member Iommi once briefly interviewed former SU standout Rob Moore at a football game, but did not ask the question that many folks have been curious about". Here, it would be helpful if the straight man of the team asked, "What question is that?". I'd then reply, "I'd like to know Rob's feelings about being included in the Bell Biv DeVoe song, 'Poison'".

We could do pre-match interviews with the members to let the audience get more familiar and such. I dont think we could legally encourage gambling on the matches, but I wouldn't put much effort into stopping it. We spend countless hours discussing competition, so it's natural that some will break out on occasion. Like the failed drug war, I think a sensible approach might be to legalize and regulate any grappling on here in a controlled environment. Unlike the government, I wouldn't do it for the revenue stream that taxing it would create though. I do it for the people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom