Minutes lost minutes gained for new blood | Syracusefan.com

Minutes lost minutes gained for new blood

20Plus

Obviously we’ll have different minute dispersion throughout the seven returning players

Battle-5-35mins (5 left)
Howard-8-32 mins (8 left)
Marek-5-28 mins (12 left)
Brisset-4-35 mins (5 left)
Paschal-10- 20 mins (20 left)

Only- - - - - - - - -50 mins for bench

Sidbe-14
Carey-18
Hughes-18
HowardW- 0
0 also left for buddy braswell

Speculation in May-June is typically wildly wrong -- consider last season.

Just going to offer that Chukwu was a huge part of the March run, playing 30 min/g, defending the back of the zone, and rebounding in traffic. When he wasn't out there (due to foul issues), the opposing teams made hay inside. Don't see how he plays only 20 minutes, even if Sidibe is 100%.

Speculation in May-June is typically wildly wrong -- consider last season.

Just going to offer that Chukwu was a huge part of the March run, playing 30 min/g, defending the back of the zone, and rebounding in traffic. When he wasn't out there (due to foul issues), the opposing teams made hay inside. Don't see how he plays only 20 minutes, even if Sidibe is 100%.
If Bourma is 100% he can jump so he can play defense check the scouting report.

He has better hands and offense then Chukwu and it’s not close. We will see Marek bulked up a little so a bit of five action for him

PG) Howard (30), Carey (10)
SG) Battle (32), Carey (4), Hughes (4)
SF) Brissett (26), Hughes (14)
PF) Dolezaj (25), Brissett (6), Braswell (9)
C) Chukwu (26), Sidibe (14)

Howard Washington should redshirt. Coming back from that injury in 9 months is tough. He could use an extra 12 months to rehab his knee and get stronger.

Tough to see how many minutes Buddy can get. Even in our best years (2010 and 2012), JB used 3 guards. MCW basically sat the bench as a freshman in 2012. We ran Rautins-Triche-Scoop and then Triche-Scoop-Dion.

If Sid gets back to 100% I think he at no worse splits time with Chukwu.

The ability to score in transition is something the program has been sorely lacking the past 5 years. For that reason alone, I'd like to see Carey cut into Frank's PT as much as possible. The anemic SU fast break has joined the m2m lore as something that requires a mythical "perfect recipe" to execute.

I think a healthy Sidibe gives us way more on offense than Chukwu. He looked very coordinated in the post at times last year. I think we see a lot more of him and more Chukwu when we want to protect the lead.

I'd be surprised if Carey gets that many minutes. I'd put him in the low teens. He has experienced and talented guards in front of him, and I don't think he'll play much SG.

The other numbers are pretty close. If healthy, Sidibe could average more minutes than Chukwu, but I'd put them close to a 50/50 split. Unless one is injured, there isn't much reason to have anybody else at Center other than one of our actual Centers, so that'd be 20 minutes each.

Brissett might get more rest, especially if Hughes shines. So maybe 30 for OB rather than 35.

One of Buddy, Braswell, or Washington will see small minutes here and there. One will just play garbage time while the other redshirts, or two will redshirt. Too early to know for sure.

I may be the only one who thinks that Carey is getting way over projected for playing time.
Yes, he has shown a lot as a high school player, but how long will it take him to get used to the speed of playing D-1?
How long will it take him to be proficient in the zone?
I don't see him getting more than 8 minutes once we get into ACC play. Any minutes he gets are at the expense of Battle or Frank. I just have a hard time taking either one off the floor under ordinary circumstances.
Plus, Hughes may be playing for either Battle or Frank depending on the need for his skill set.

Remember these are averages. In big crunch time games, when trust is an issue, the minutes will shrink once you get outside of the core 6 (assuming PC/BS rest). Injuries, matchups, etc will get guys outsized minutes at times. I imagine against stellar opponents like UNC/VA/whatever, Hughes/Carey may only get 3-5 minutes, but will get 20 minutes if they get hot or we can afford to rest guys with the lead

I think a healthy Sidibe gives us way more on offense than Chukwu. He looked very coordinated in the post at times last year. I think we see a lot more of him and more Chukwu when we want to protect the lead.
I think Sidibe is good at racking up fouls. I think his minutes are going to be limited to do foul trouble.

I just don't want to see anybody averaging 36+. An average of 36+ means you've got guys playing the full 40. There's no other way to get there on the math due to early season wins where guys give some minutes to the bench in blowouts/guys sitting with foul trouble/guys coming out for a second nicked up, etc. 32-35 is fine. Once you crack an average of 36, weird stuff has happened, and I don't like it one bit.

I just don't want to see anybody averaging 36+. An average of 36+ means you've got guys playing the full 40.

Have you ever watched a Syracuse basketball game?

Sidibe can give us more on offense, but we have 3 good scorers, plus an improving Marek. Sidibe was often overpowered on defense. Granted, he was limited by his knee issue and maybe he adds some muscle and competes better in his second year. Still, Chukwu was the necessary ingredient on defense in our March run -- blocking shots, deterring shots, getting tough rebounds, and even finishing inside on occasion. Don't see him losing his starting spot or starter's minutes.

Obviously we’ll have different minute dispersion throughout the seven returning players

Battle-5-35mins (5 left)
Howard-8-32 mins (8 left)
Marek-5-28 mins (12 left)
Brisset-4-35 mins (5 left)
Paschal-10- 20 mins (20 left)

Only- - - - - - - - -50 mins for bench

Sidbe-14
Carey-18
Hughes-18
HowardW- 0
0 also left for buddy braswell

I like that you did not assign players/minutes by position. As has been explained many times in the past the 2 and the 3 are pretty interchangeable in SU's half court offense. So when listing Hughes and Battle on the floor together along with Frank or Carey it does not necessarily make Hughes the 3 or SF. I prefer to look at it as playing a 3 guard offense.

Remember Dion Waiters barely got 25mpg in 2012.

I think Battle will get 30 to 35 MPG
Howard is going to get his minutes cut a lot next year. Probably in the 25 to 30 MPG range.

Carey will get 20-25 MPG.
Brissett will lead the team in MPG next year.
Dolezaj and Hughes will split minutes.
Chukwu and Sidibe will split the middle.
Dolezaj will be the Draymond Green who can play the middle when we want to play small.

On what I consider to be Syracuse's two greatest recent teams (2010 and 2012) where we were 7 deep with really good players, JB had no problem really limiting the minutes of the starters.

The question is will the #6 and #7 guys be worthy of 20 minutes, or worthy of 5-10 minutes. Even then we should have options to stop the 40 min a game, which is great.

putting 3 players in the top 5 mpg has to be unprecedented. only subs JB called was when was someone injured or fouled out. playing 5 don't take genius. playing one defense (zone) only regardless of circumstances (excepting the occasional down double digits trunk monkey) don't take genius. running no offensive sets other than ISO don't take genius. yes Boeheim is a genius and worth every penny of the pay upgrade.

Last edited:
The 2012 team is an interesting comparison because we had 5 experienced starters (until Fab's suspension) and four talented guys off the bench -- Waiters, Fair, Southerland and MCW. Starters are bolded. Look at the minutes distribution ... way more bench than you would have thought. True .. the bench talent and experience were impressive (two were sophs and one was a jr.). By contrast this year's bench, consisting of Sid, Carey, Hughes and Bras, is not as talented or experienced. Sid, the lone player with experience, figures to add inside scoring if healthy. Carey will also bring scoring and moves. Hughes has been in the system for a year and is built like a BSH and Braswell figures to be raw but athletic (he can rebound and protect the rim). So, using the 2011-12 team as an (uneven) example, there's a good chance the "JB only plays 6" mantra will evaporate like it did last time we had a deep bench and lots of returning starters.

2011-12

JOSEPH, Kris 37-37 32.2 (Sr.)
03 WAITERS, Dion 37-0 24 (Soph.)
TRICHE, Brandon 37-37 22.5 (Jr.)
JARDINE,
Scoop 37-37 25.2 (Sr.)
FAIR, C.J. 37-9 26.4 (Soph.)
MELO, Fab 30-30 25.4 (Soph.)
SOUTHERLAND, Jam 37-0 593 16.0 (Jr.)
JONES, Mookie 7-0 38 5.4
CHRISTMAS, Rakeem 37-35 11.5 (Fr.)
C A R T E R - W I L L I A M S , 26-0 269 10.3 (Fr.)
KEITA, Baye 35-0 431 12.3 (Soph.)

2018-19

PG Howard 24 - Carey 16
SG Battle 27 - Hughes 9 Carey 4
SF/PF OB 31 Hughes 9
PF MD 29 - Bras 11
C Chukwu 22 Sid 18

Last edited:
when guys play well he gives them minutes. when the game is on doubt he limits the guys who can mess it up. fans think the backups are better than the coach does just like the backup qb should always play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom